Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka shock rebound adjustment

When I contacted elka I was told to use the bent stick like tool included with the shock but when I looked on bottom part of the rear shock where the adjustment is made, I only see adjustment screws with slotted head!
    Any ideas?
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have to get creative there's not much room to get a screwdriver in there.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

It sounds like he was describing the tool to adjust the spring tention. The rebound adjustment is on the end of the shock.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tool looks like that, just round bent stick but adjustment screws looks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    It sounds like he was describing the tool to adjust the spring tention. The rebound adjustment is on the end of the shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That bent rod is for raising or lowering the spring collar to lessen or increase the spring tension
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see. so tool for rebound is not even included...
    I guess customer service at Elka did not know what he was talking about.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    That bent rod is for raising or lowering the spring collar to lessen or increase the spring tension

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I see. so tool for rebound is not even included...
    I guess customer service at Elka did not know what he was talking about.
    thank you.
    The adjustment tool for the rebound is a flat head screwdriver. The problem is it is very hard to get to. You would need to remove the shock if you have never done one before. An Elka tech would probably know how to just reach under the fender well and make the adjustment. I have never felt the need to make that adjustment. If I remember right, there are only 3 settings to choose from, default setting is on the center. I have replaced the springs on mine to a heavier one. I had to remove the shocks and take them apart to do it. Because I am big, I was bottoming out alot and Elka sent me the heavier springs. Problem solved.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I just checked the Elka web site and the newer version of the stage 2 shocks doesn't have the slotted screw driver type any more. They went to a knob that you can just turn with your fingers. This is what else they say about the rebound adjustment.

REBOUND DAMPING

Controls the speed at which the shock absorber returns to its fully extended position after being compressed, keeping the wheels on the ground for maximum traction and reducing the recoil effect caused by the spring pressure pushing back after being compressed.

To use, turn the adjuster clockwise to slow down the rebound or turn counter-clockwise to speed up the rebound.
    https://us.elkasuspension.com/spyder...ock-absorbers/
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Since Lamonster Garage sells Elka shocks now, you could also call them to ask questions.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

What’s shown in that picture is the remote pre-load adjustment for “Hyd” shocks. The rebound adjustment (when present) is the inset screw at the bottom of the shock.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
    What’s shown in that picture is the remote pre-load adjustment for “Hyd” shocks. The rebound adjustment (when present) is the inset screw at the bottom of the shock.

David
    That pic was for a Stage 2 rear shock. If you go to the link the new ones are no longer a screw, it is a knob. Also on F3's they install the spring side up, on RT's the Spring side is down. FYI, on my F3L I only have the front shocks as Elkas. The rear is still stock.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Pre-load vs Rebound

Here is the rebound adjustment:

ACCC1761-9886-4AA1-9075-F5D7F53F6FFE.jpg

On older shocks, it is a screw, as you said. The control in your photo is the remote pre-load adjustment for “hyd” shocks. Not trying to argue. I’ve just been researching this and wanted to correct the information.

David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Their website show this shock as stage 2 but if you hit the buy button for spyder, it shows my shock, stage 2 without the knob.
    My shock sure doesn’t have a knob.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
    Here is the rebound adjustment:

ACCC1761-9886-4AA1-9075-F5D7F53F6FFE.jpg

On older shocks, it is a screw, as you said. The control in your photo is the remote pre-load adjustment for “hyd” shocks. Not trying to argue. I’ve just been researching this and wanted to correct the information.

David

Spyder Garage

That’s right, aka. Yours has a small slotted screw instead. The knob is brand new.

David