Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer in Virginia area with lots of Spyders + how do you get on your Spyder?

I've finally convinced my husband that it's time that he joined me in Spyder ownership. I actually have a couple of questions. First, I love the riding position on my F3-S, but know that not everyone feels that way, so I think he should try several models before making his choice. The problem is finding a dealer who has different models. My local dealer has RTs and Rykers (not any F series at all). I started doing inventory searches at individual dealers, but soon gave up as they'd have 1 RT or the like in their stock.

So, can anyone suggest a dealer in the VA/NC/WV area with a good variety of Spyders in stock? We're willing to drive 3-4 hours, if needed, so he can make a good choice.

Second, I have a question about how people get on their Spyders? I have the Spyder footboards on mine, and I put one foot on the left board and swing my right leg over. (I'm about 145 pounds and in fairly good shape.) My husband tried to get on my Spyder this morning (not standing on the footboard, since I don't know the weight limit) and he had trouble getting his leg over. I do have a fleece (which added height) and a backrest (which limited his range of movement)—without those, it might have been easier on him. So how do people with less agility get on? Is there a model that is easier to mount than others?

Thanks!
    I'm excited that we're about to become a 2 Spyder family!
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

You're getting to the end of MY 2019 and there may be some good deals available. Check Honda Can-Am of Winston-Salem, https://www.hondaws.com/, or Brewer Cycles in Henderson, https://www.brewercycles.com/index.asphttps://www.brewercycles.com/index.asp.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

With my 2015 F3-S and the standard foot pegs, I use the left passenger peg to stand on while stepping my right leg over. Then sit down and move the feet to the front pegs. Same when my wife is riding with me. She mounts first, then moves her feet from the pegs and I step over.
    2015 F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stand on the left floorboard and swing leg over. Fold seatback down if necessary.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You're getting to the end of MY 2019 and there may be some good deals available. Check Honda Can-Am of Winston-Salem, https://www.hondaws.com/, or Brewer Cycles in Henderson, https://www.brewercycles.com/index.asphttps://www.brewercycles.com/index.asp.
    JayBros, she is in Virginia....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foxtail1 View Post
    My local dealer has RTs and Rykers (not any F series at all). I started doing inventory searches at individual dealers, but soon gave up as they'd have 1 RT or the like in their stock.

So, can anyone suggest a dealer in the VA/NC/WV area with a good variety of Spyders in stock? We're willing to drive 3-4 hours, if needed, so he can make a good choice.
    The best way to see a bunch of different Spyders is to attend an event or hook up with a Spyder ryding group in your area.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If getting on the Spyder using the foot peg isn't strong enough to support even a 400 lb person I would be scared. I get on and off my BMW R1200RT stepping on the peg and throwing my leg over just like you. Same with the wife's RTL.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Just like getting on a horse, put you foot on the floor board ( I weigh over 200+ and have floorboards, it can stand his weight. ) and swing your leg over. Piece of cake.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The best way to see a bunch of different Spyders is to attend an event or hook up with a Spyder ryding group in your area.
    Yeah, we're going to Maggie Valley, but I think he wants to buy before then.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Just like getting on a horse, put you foot on the floor board ( I weigh over 200+ and have floorboards, it can stand his weight. ) and swing your leg over. Piece of cake.
    Okay, thanks! I wasn't sure what the weight limit was, and didn't look it up this morning. He's about 210.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foxtail1 View Post
    Yeah, we're going to Maggie Valley, but I think he wants to buy before then.
    Start a new thread, asking for any Spyder groups nearby.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Are you anywhere near Leesburg Va? My local dealer in Purcellville has them crawling out of the woodwork. Motomember.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Are you anywhere near Leesburg Va? My local dealer in Purcellville has them crawling out of the woodwork. Motomember.
    No, but that's well within the range we could drive on a day trip. I'll check their inventory. Thanks!

ETA: Wow, you are not kidding!! That's the most I've seen at any dealer I've checked. Thanks again!
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

JayBros, she is in Virginia....
    Yes, but she said they were willing to travel 3-4 hrs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Yes, but she said they were willing to travel 3-4 hrs.
    By air? I guess that would work!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Try Value Accessories on the vendor page. Once there go to the F3 section and look for the Ultimate Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

By air? I guess that would work!
    You obviously don't know much about the eastern states. 3-4 hours drive time could get her all over Virginia and to North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland, West Virginia, and more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    You obviously don't know much about the eastern states. 3-4 hours drive time could get her all over Virginia and to North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland, West Virginia, and more.
    Oops. My mistake. I didn't follow the links and misread as Henderson Nevada and Salem Oregon
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    If you decide to visit Motomember I would call first and make sure they have the model you are looking for available for immediate sale. They provide Spyders to a company for training and will list those Spyders on their website (which isn't accurate) for sale when they are still in use for training people. They have a decent selection, ask for Billy and watch their numbers they seem to put a lot of extra's in the pricing. I would also have them email you the out the door price. If the out the door price is satisfactory I would worry about the extra items they charge.

I would check Imotors who is a vendor on this site, they usually have a large selection and offer free shipping.

I find it easier to step on the passengers footpegs to get on and off my F3 and I did this for my RT.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Default Virginia dealer

Try Virgil Naff in Lynchburg. They show they have 2 F3's, 1 RT and 2 Rykers.

I bought my RTL there and found them great to deal with. Talk to Trey Naff.

Spyder Garage

I drove my GW 5 hours down to Motomember from Delaware bc they were the only ones that could get a leftover 17 rtl in the color I wanted and at a great deal that we negotiated over the phone.Ask for Paul.Also gave me fair trade value on GW.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Motomember

Thats where I bought mine- watch for upgrades or accessoryIMG_20180825_172212.jpg already on machine. I drove 200 miles one way!
    They were still in leesburg!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I was just looking at the inventory and pricing that Winnex3 just posted on the Ryker Forum. When you click the link the OP has in post one, it goes to a dealer in Kalamazoo, MI. It also has a good selection of Spyders listed with some great prices. Might be worth looking at. They have several touring models as well as some F3-S, brand new for 2019.

https://www.leadersrpm.com/default.a...er&make=can-am

I am 6 feet, 210 pounds, and 70 years old. I stand flat footed on the ground beside the Spyder and swing my leg over it. Any foot pegs should easily support 200 to 300 pounds. If they would not, then they should be changed out for some that will. Riding on dirt and rougher surfaces might involve standing on the pegs to keep the bottoming shocks from pounding your backbone so bad. The seating position of the F3-S would prevent standing on the pegs, but I had both forward and center pegs on my old Sportster and stood on the center pegs often for potholes, etc. Never heard of a foot peg breaking off, other than in a crash. The shear strength on a 1/2 steel bolt at the thread root is around half a ton........... way more out at the bolt shoulder. Any broken foot pegs I have seen involved pieces of the case where the pegs were attached breaking out in a crash and not the foot peg bolt shearing.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Got mine at Motomember
    405 Browning Ct, Purcellville, VA 20132

They have plenty to choose from... All models.
    1980 Honda - CM400
    1983 Yamaha - Maxim 750
    1988 Kawasaki - EX500 Ninja
    1994 Yamaha - FZR 600
    1998 Honda - VFR800 Interceptor
    2008 Buell - XB12

2018 Bitten by the Spyder Bug
    2018 Can Am - F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Motomember Purceville VA ask for Billy
    Great thing about this shop is they give loaners while the service or repair your spyder