Spyder Garage

Default Handlebar vibration after alignment & balance

I just got my 2013 ST (bought new, now has 53,000 miles on it) back from the dealer’s shop. I replaced the two front tires and had them balanced before taking it to the dealer. They did oil change, replaced purge valve, air filter, spark plugs, front brakes & rear tire (with Yokohama 205/55R15). They also did a laser alignment and said everything was fine......except when they test drove it, that the front tires needed balancing, and it vibrates the handlebars.
    Since I had just paid for someone to install & balance the new front tires, I said I would take care of it. Riding it home, it shook pretty bad and also pulled slightly to the right if you took your hands off. I had it static & dynamic balanced at the tire dealer where I got my tires. It still vibrates the handlebars and still pulls to the right.

My question: After doing all of the above, what would cause the handlebars shaking and the pulling to the right? Tires, balancing or/and alignment?
    Thanks for any help!
    2013 ST SE5
    2021 F3 Limited , Titanium

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Alignment will not cause your handlebars to shake.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hey Ann,
    I didn't think so. After putting the front tires on & balancing it before taking to the dealer for everything else, it ran true in the middle of the road with no hands & and the handlebars didn't shake.
    I'm just looking for answers.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    2013 ST SE5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Alignment will not cause your handlebars to shake.
    ……… I'm pretty sure it's the TECH who did the work …… ?, did they shake after you had the tires balanced ? but before you took it to the dealer ??? … What Brand of tires are you now using ??? …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey Mike,
    A tire dealer put on a new set of Arachnid tires (I know they are supposed to be crap like the Kenda's, but they were free and the Arachnid distributor told me they were the new compound). My tire dealer installed and balanced them (I watched him work).
    On the 30 mile ride to the dealer for everything I mentioned above, they did not shake or pull to the right, riding down the center of the backroad, the Spyder ran true straight with my hands off of the handlebars. The new tech at the Can-Am dealer did the work, my usual tech was on vacation.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    2013 ST SE5

Spyder Garage

Hmmm...sounds fishy to me. Since the bike was good before you delivered it to the dealer and bad after their work, there's only one conclusion.

Some thoughts: Were the front wheels originally balanced on the bike so taking into account the other rotating masses and now they're refitted to a different position?

Is the dealer 'at it' and removed your front wheel weights?

Since they were newly balanced could the weights have fallen off at the last moment before you arrived at the dealer?

More likely the rear tyre is not mounted correctly on the rim so is rotating with a hump or the tyre has a fault and rotates badly or has a bulge.
    Or, it's seriously out of balance, do they have the necessary equipment to balance a rear wheel?

Before you return to the dealer, run at vibrating speed and look down at your front wheels to see whether they are, indeed, the culprit.

The pulling to one side may settle after you've bedded in the brake pads and got an equal amount of friction on both sides.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by photophil33 View Post
    Hey Mike,
    A tire dealer put on a new set of Arachnid tires (I know they are supposed to be crap like the Kenda's, but they were free and the Arachnid distributor told me they were the new compound). My tire dealer installed and balanced them (I watched him work).
    On the 30 mile ride to the dealer for everything I mentioned above, they did not shake or pull to the right, riding down the center of the backroad, the Spyder ran true straight with my hands off of the handlebars. The new tech at the Can-Am dealer did the work, my usual tech was on vacation.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Since the MODEL for the Arachnid was the KENDA - it is my opinion that if you copy garbage you get garbage ….. and if they were fine before taking it to the dealer and then they were crappy …. well guess what, I think something happened at the dealer …… good luck …. Mike