Spyder Garage

Default Get the rear axel nut loose

I wish I had a good air wrench. But since I don't, I tried to use my own power to loosen the rear axel nut on the right side of the bike.
    I need to take some of the tension off the drive belt. Im getting 200 pounds on my Gates meter that I just bought in order to check it.
    Also my drive belt is only about 10-12 thousands away from the shoulder on the rear sprocket.
    But I couldn't break it loose. Anybody have any ideas other than buying a new air wrench?

Spyder Garage

Not sure what you are using to try to break the axle nut loose but you may need to purchase a wrench that is long enough to get you some leverage or use a breaker bar and socket to get it loose.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I've got the breaker bar and socket.
    I'm going out to get a 2-3 foot piece of pipe in order to get even more leverage.

Thanks much, Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimSter View Post
    I've got the breaker bar and socket.
    I'm going out to get a 2-3 foot piece of pipe in order to get even more leverage.

Thanks much, Jim
    I was going to suggest this - however you figured it …… good for you ….. Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Here are the parts I bought and made. Advantage is getting a torque wrench for 180 pounds in the mix. Minimum for the belt is 1mm or 0.04"

>36mm socket which works with the oil filter too<

>1/2 inch torque wrench / breaker bar<

>36mm box/open end wrench< cut in half for use

36mm box - open cut.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Or maybe a 36mm hammer wrench...............
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

What year do you have, Jim? They really tightened those nuts up from 2013 on. I needed to get a 3/4” drive and a 2.5’ breaker bar to get my 2016 Limited loose. They jumped from roughly 90 pounds to roughly 160 pounds from 2013.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Here are the parts I bought and made. Advantage is getting a torque wrench for 180 pounds in the mix. Minimum for the belt is 1mm or 0.04"

>36mm socket which works with the oil filter too<

>1/2 inch torque wrench / breaker bar<

>36mm box/open end wrench< cut in half for use

36mm box - open cut.jpg
    Ok, I give up . . . I've got a 36mm box/open-end wrench but what's the reason you cut it in half ? (I've also got a 3/4" drive torque wrench with 36mm socket in my tool chest - breaker bar too). Obviously I haven't had the occasion to loosen my rear axle yet so this is useful information.
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Ok, I give up . . . I've got a 36mm box/open-end wrench but what's the reason you cut it in half ? (I've also got a 3/4" drive torque wrench with 36mm socket in my tool chest - breaker bar too). Obviously I haven't had the occasion to loosen my rear axle yet so this is useful information.
    With a cut wrench you can flatten the end of a water pipe down some and use it as a cheater. If you don't saw the wrench in half you can only double wrench for a cheater, which is a good way to need some new skin on your knuckles.

If you have the 3/4 inch breaker bar you shouldn't need a cut off wrench. You can just put the cheater pipe on the breaker bar if you need more umph.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    With a cut wrench you can flatten the end of a water pipe down some and use it as a cheater. If you don't saw the wrench in half you can only double wrench for a cheater, which is a good way to need some new skin on your knuckles.

If you have the 3/4 inch breaker bar you shouldn't need a cut off wrench. You can just put the cheater pipe on the breaker bar if you need more umph.
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense. If I remember correctly, my 3/4" breaker bar is 24" I believe which should be plenty long enough. My 3/4" drive torque wrench is 34" long.
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. If I remember correctly, my 3/4" breaker bar is 24" I believe which should be plenty long enough. My 3/4" drive torque wrench is 34" long.
    One thing about that......... you may want to carry a cut off wrench with you. You can always find a piece of pipe somewhere (hardware store, plumbing supply, Lowe's, etc.) to use as a cheater. It would be a lot easier to store a sawed wrench on the bike than to try to find a place to carry a 2 foot breaker bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took mine off two days ago, used a socket on a 24" breaker bar and a 4 ft long piece of 3/4" water pipe.

Ditto for re-torquing it
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I think the whole deal is that you can easily put it in the tool bag and travel with it! If you have room for the breaker bar and socket even better on your body!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

It's pretty long so it's easier to store on the bike in two pieces. You need to hold one side of the axle while turning the other side nut. The open end will go over the right side nut while still keeping the cotter key installed for belt tensioning. If you have bags installed, the wrenches fit nicely while a socket is a b**ch. If you watch the video, it will be clear as to the advantage of cutting.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey