Thread: ST v RS

Spyder Garage

Default ST v RS

Apologies for all the questions, I research but there is always something the people on this forum can add that isn't in the manuals/specs.

Is a base ST simply a RS with a screen? I ask as I am going to look at both tomorrow and the guy selling the ST said same riding position as the RS and seemed to infer there was little difference in them. Both are 2013 and manual.

As always all feedback is appreciated.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Post #4 has a really good comparison chart. Tried to copy/paste but no luck. I have an STS & really enjoy it:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ferrerid=32074

Spyder Garage

Brilliant thanks Doug
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Sure. I was kind of in the same spot as you. Rode the RS, ST & a '15 F3. Liked the F3. Rode the RS & liked it a lot... Then hopped on the ST & it just seemed to "fit". Very comfortable for me. No real right or wrong answer though. I think you'll enjoy either one.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again that is great feedback.
    Yeah like Goldilocks just waiting for it to feel just right but as you say no wrong choice.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Here you go...

The GS was the first then became the RS no change and the RSS was sportier with fox shocks . In came the RT the full dresser touring model. Now enter the ST a mix of the RS and the RT. Finally in comes the F3 cruiser. This gives you 4 seating positions two engine and transmissions. 2008 to 2013 you have the V-twin 998 5 speed 2014 to date the inline 1330 6 speed. The GS/RS, RSS, ST have been dropped. Then there is the ryker 600 parallel twin and inline 900....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Few points off top of my head: Not sure if RS offers a trailer mode also the options for radio are different. I like the setup on my limited All the windshields I’ve seen for the RS seemed “sporty& rather small” begging the ryder to lay down face in the dash type position also the headlights look & fit quite different. Think the RS could accept HID’s the ST only halogen H4 or LED equivalents. I can change headlight on my ST simply removing 4 bolts & dash RS I think is more involved

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The GS was the first then became the RS no change and the RSS was sportier with fox shocks . In came the RT the full dresser touring model. Now enter the ST a mix of the RS and the RT. Finally in comes the F3 cruiser. This gives you 4 seating positions two engine and transmissions. 2008 to 2013 you have the V-twin 998 5 speed 2014 to date the inline 1330 6 speed. The GS/RS, RSS, ST have been dropped. Then there is the ryker 600 parallel twin and inline 900....
    Thanks Chupaca good to know where the ST fits as it the only one I haven't ridden. Limited by cost so the vtwin is pretty much my only option.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Few points off top of my head: Not sure if RS offers a trailer mode also the options for radio are different. I like the setup on my limited All the windshields I’ve seen for the RS seemed “sporty& rather small” begging the ryder to lay down face in the dash type position also the headlights look & fit quite different. Think the RS could accept HID’s the ST only halogen H4 or LED equivalents. I can change headlight on my ST simply removing 4 bolts & dash RS I think is more involved
    Thanks Bfromla and this is why forums like this are so good, additional tidbits of information, personal experience as well as the core stuff that makes for a much more informed decision.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Update: Rode a 2013 RSS SM5, 2013 ST SM5 then 2012 RT. Wasn't happy with the RSS as this particular one just didn't feel or sound quite right and I did not feel comfortable on it. ST was great although it is the base model without cruise. No passenger backrest either. Riding position felt really nice and still had that sporty flavour and I felt so much more at home on it compared to the RSS. Although it has about 13k miles it still felt like a new bike, no strange noises or sloppiness. Rode a RT S SE5 (at the same dealership) with 25k miles on it and it is immaculate. It too rode like a new bike, very nice indeed. You certainly notice all the extra wind protection on the RT. At $4k extra the RT is too much of a stretch although having to buy a passenger backrest, cruise and rack/trunk for the ST would bump it up a bit. There seems to be a lot more Spyders for sale at the moment I expect due to the rebates on the soon to be superseded models so hopefully the "just right" one will come along.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Update: Rode a 2013 RSS SM5, 2013 ST SM5 then 2012 RT. Wasn't happy with the RSS as this particular one just didn't feel or sound quite right and I did not feel comfortable on it. ST was great although it is the base model without cruise. No passenger backrest either. Riding position felt really nice and still had that sporty flavour and I felt so much more at home on it compared to the RSS. Although it has about 13k miles it still felt like a new bike, no strange noises or sloppiness. Rode a RT S SE5 (at the same dealership) with 25k miles on it and it is immaculate. It too rode like a new bike, very nice indeed. You certainly notice all the extra wind protection on the RT. At $4k extra the RT is too much of a stretch although having to buy a passenger backrest, cruise and rack/trunk for the ST would bump it up a bit. There seems to be a lot more Spyders for sale at the moment I expect due to the rebates on the soon to be superseded models so hopefully the "just right" one will come along.
    whatever fits you best there are few options for the passenger & trunk that suit the ST well. Possibly for cruise too it is handy, maybe you can find a limited that will have it

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights