Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Drive Belt Wandering

I have a 2013 Spyder RT Limited. I had to replace the belt shortly after I purchased the Spyder in May, 2019 due to a hole punched thru the belt by a pebble. Since then I have noticed the new belt will wander from good alignment near the inside rim to the other side of the drive sprocket. The attached picture shows the belt's current alignment. I have the rear wheel off the ground and my Kricket II registers about 230#.

Maybe reduce tension? Maybe add a belt tensioner? Is this normal?

Thanks.spyder belt.jpg
    2013 RT , Copper

Spyder Garage

They all wander a bit, especially while you're reversing!

Your belt looks fine, especially if that's as far left as it ever gets, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'd just .....

Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    They all wander a bit, especially while you're reversing!

Your belt looks fine, especially if that's as far left as it ever gets, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'd just .....

Ride More, Worry Less!
    .... I saw a homemade video ( a couple years ago ) of what goes on targeting the Drive belt …. it showed the belt constantly moves side to side on the rear sprocket ……...… after seeing this I stopped being at all concerned about it's moving …. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Noticing my belt was too close to the rear pulley flange and too tight, I did an adjustment and alignment. I too noticed that there was a part of the belt that was closer to the flange by no more than 1mm - the bulk of it is 2mm. I'm calling that good.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. One less thing to worry about!

I've ordered the belt tensioner from roadster renovation. My instinct says the belt is too tight. With the tensioner in place I will back it down to 160#-180# and see what kind of noise I get.

I think with low mileage riders, a tight belt doesn't matter much. When we finally get out of the blast furnace here in Phoenix my wife and I hope to put on a lot of miles.
    2013 RT , Copper

Spyder Garage

Just installed a new rear tire & adjusted my belt with tire off the ground. Durning test drive I look back and notice during acceleration that the belt pulled to the inside against the flange & when off the throttle it goes to outside & almost off the sprocket completely. During cruising speeds it seems to stay centered. Is this normal?
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    Just installed a new rear tire & adjusted my belt with tire off the ground. Durning test drive I look back and notice during acceleration that the belt pulled to the inside against the flange & when off the throttle it goes to outside & almost off the sprocket completely. During cruising speeds it seems to stay centered. Is this normal?

No it is not.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    You've perhaps got movement somewhere. If the axle is definitely tight my first 3 things to check are; the bearing in the rear sprocket for wear or looseness, did you miss out the spacer between the rear sprocket and the wheel and the front sprocket for free play.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    No it is not.
    Actually, you better check your front sprocket with spline wallowed out. Have seen the same problem before.
    2014 RT SE6