Spyder Garage

Default Accessory input please..

Hey all,
    Went to check out the 2019 F3-S today. Also thought WTH to get an appraisal on my 2016 Triumph 800 Tiger XCx. NEVER traded a bike in (25sh) over the past 40 years, but you never know. They came in quite well and am considering a trade . That said, I'm looking at some accessories and would like some experienced input.
    1.) Can-Am heated grips: Are they reliable? Do they heat up nicely? They quoted me $250 labor to install, but I'll likely try and tackle it myself.
    2.) Can-Am two-up shock: With both myself/spouse on it, we'd be just shy of 400#. Are they effective? Discounted price of $175 doesn't sound terrible. Pretty straight forward install ?
    3.) Ext warranty: Possibly looking into the B.E.S.T. plan, but will have two years to decide. This dealership also deals with Global, which is a WI based company. Any input/experience from either? Certainly don't want any claim hassles down the road. I'll likely let a full season of riding decide if I go with a plan. Any recommendations for what these plans (3 yrs BEST) or (4) years Global can be had for? Thx for any input..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

In a word, third party warranties stink. Stick with BRP's BEST. Give yourself time before adding suspension mods as there is a steep learning curve going from 2 to 3 wheels. I know.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

from personal experience if you are going to ride 2up you may want to give the F3 Limited a serious look.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Regarding the B.E.S.T. extended warranty shop around for the best, pun intended, price you can get as you do not have to purchase it from the dealer from whom you buy the Spyder. If buying a package deal, shop Bert's Mega Mall to see what their B.E.S.T. price is and try to get the selling dealer to match it. If he won't, think Bert's.
    https://www.bertsmegamall.com/
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My wife hasn't been on a motorcycle since 2002, so she'll only ride very infrequent, if at all. If anything, she may want to learn riding the Spyder just to zip around our small city. I also only use luggage approx 10-15 days/year so I don't want all the extras of the Limited. It's been about 4 years, but I sold Spyders (Honda's/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Polaris/Indian) for a couple years. I know of the 100% mark-up some of these warranties can have. I am favoring the BEST plan, but I would have the two years of the OEM warranty to help me decide. I certainly will shop around. I have a note in to an old co-worker who was the F&I person at the dealership. I'm sure she'll give me some good input. Thx

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think I would go with the BEST warranty. I added it to my 2016 F3T for just under $700 from I Motorsports. As for the heated grips, I had them installed on my F3T, and they work well. Not as well as the ones on the RT. I would think that they are about equal to the ones on the RT when the RT ones are set on low. The ones on the F3 series have only an on and off switch. I will possibly be adding a hand guard to mine so that the heated grips will be more affective.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I upgraded and F3 to the 2 up shock. There is quite a difference in that shock versus the original. The 2 up is much more hardy. I am pleased with the result. I installed it myself and were it not for the removal of the fender liner, or whatever it is called that is below the seat frame and to the rear of the shock, it would have been a piece of cake. As usual, the BRP instructions said remove the liner with no other instructions. I probably removed 15 or 16 screws beneath the seat before finding the two or three that actually hold it from there. There are a good number of screws from below. You will see where they are. They gave me a bit of problem because they are black on a black fender liner (my eyes are not what they used to be). Other than the frustration of figuring out which screws really hold the fender liner on, the install was very straight forward.

Spyder Garage

Very good advice above. If you are happy with the trade in price, then perhaps you can negotiate away some of the labor on the install of the heated grips and shocks.

Based on reports, I have not seen anything bad about the grips and shocks.

Get a quote on the BEST warranty from Berts. If dealer matches it, then a good deal for you.

There is so much that is negotiable on a new purchase that you have many ways to do it. EG. no deal on labor or accessories being cut....try for additional trade in value, or some off the OUT THE DOOR price on the whole package. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how it works.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    1.) Can-Am heated grips: Are they reliable? Do they heat up nicely? They quoted me $250 labor to install, but I'll likely try and tackle it myself.
    You can build your own heated grips for much less (under $30). If you don't like them, you can go with BuRP OEM. Check my >Page for Heated Gear<.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Also looking at a Calsci 18" dark tint shield. At 6'2" I know it'll be on the shorter side but I want to keep the sporty appearance, yet have some decent torso protection. The taller shields bolt right up, so at some point I can buy a taller one for touring. I've had Madstad's before, but don't want the bulky hardware. Any input on Calsci quality ? Mark is a pretty humorous guy..

Spyder Garage

Funny thing, I've also traded a 2016 Tiger XCx for a F3-S last year (MY2018), and couldn't be more happier about it.
    The Triumph was a great bike (best one I had) but I wanted to tour comfortably with the Missus so adding a third wheel just seem right.

The heated grips are OK, but not sure if they will perform good under very very low temperature weather.
    There's no intermediate level, their either on or off. Well integrated, no visible wiring and you'll get a nice lighten button bellow the ignition.

The stock rear shock is rather short for two up... Wheel kept hitting the seat undercover when riding two-up (about 340 pounds of combined weight)
    The two-up option is just the same shock with a stiffer spring. It will do the job, but if you'll alternate between solo and two-up riding you might want to look for something adjustable.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Funny thing, I've also traded a 2016 Tiger XCx for a F3-S last year (MY2018), and couldn't be more happier about it.
    The Triumph was a great bike (best one I had) but I wanted to tour comfortably with the Missus so adding a third wheel just seem right.....
    I feel the same about my XCx. Awesome bike. I even put on cast wheels (19" front) as I'm a 95%+ road rider. Just got an itch for a Spyder, as I did sell them for a couple years a few years back. The F3-S clicked all the boxes. Dealership gave me a very nice trade figure so pulled the trigger. Picking it up Wed or Thu. Yayyy
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display