Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failer Reset Frustration!!!

Ok I know this has been talked to death but... I pulled in a parking space with a little incline so I had my foot on brake while pressing parking brake before shutting off..Low and behold when I came back started my 2012RT Limited back up I got the warning lit up on my screen...ugh..I tried at least 15 different times to reset ( on different days) (also topped off brake fluid) with no luck..I use it to commute to work practically every day a whole 3 miles..brakes work fine only 7000 miles total on it any suggestions? I have an appointment in 2 weeks at dealer to look at it but I'd rather just do it myself..I've also seen 2 different ways to reset..take key out after ,step on pedal immediattly, ect tried them all.....am I doing something wrong? Also fault code was C1282

Spyder Garage

I Wilpir

Here's what I'll do first, unplug the battery for 30 minutes, and plug it in.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Really? So this should reset it? I've never seen this said anywhere ,sounds so simple..Thanx Ill try it

Spyder Garage

I had trouble resetting my Brake Failure error last year. I had to bleed the brakes and then do the low brake pressure switch reset to clear the error. Although the brakes felt good, it was clear to me by the increase in effort to get the low brake pressure switch (2nd switch) to click after bleeding I had air in my system.
    Bruce
    Yorktown, VA
    '08 Spyder GS

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you were parked on an incline my guess is you’re low on brake fluid. That code is low pressure.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ok I went and disconnected the neg side and the bikes starter tried to start it with no key in it! wth! I disconnected neg again and when I go to reconnect it the starter kicks in...now what the heck happened

Spyder Garage

Bleeding brakes sounds like the way to go..The first thing I did was put fluid in...Now if I can only reconnect the battery without the starter motor kicking on..For the life of me I don't know how this happened...…..

Spyder Garage

Brake Warning Reset Procedure
    If you do not have any codes, but still have a brake warning, it is possible the low pressure switch has been activated. There are three switches in the brake circuit. 1. Brake light switch, 2. Hydraulic pressure switch, and 3. Low pressure switch (this is really a limit switch that just senses the pedal has traveled too far). This can be reset by the following procedure. After a low pressure switch (LPS) problem has been solved, it is necessary to clear the occurred fault in the VCM as follows: 1. Turn ignition switch OFF. 2. Wait 30 seconds. 3. Turn ignition switch ON. 4. Press the brake pedal, you should hear two clicks. NOTE: The 1st click will come from the brake light switch. Continue to strongly press the brake pedal to hear a 2nd click. This one will come from the low pressure switch. You may not hear the click, just push the pedal real hard. 5. Turn ignition switch OFF. 6. Wait 30 seconds. 7. Turn ignition switch ON. 8. Validate fault was cleared.
    What caused the condition in the first place? This has happened to me a couple of times. When the parking brake is ON and your foot is on the brake pedal, then you release the parking brake, you will feel the brake pedal go down an additional amount. If it goes down far enough to activate the 3rd switch, that is when you get the brake failure message. Now I'm just careful of the pressure I put on the brake pedal when I release the parking brake. No more problems.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Starter motor wont shut off help!

I went to disconnect my battery as suggested on this thread to reset code..and when I went to disconnect neg side starter motor started..as soon as I disconnected it it stopped..When I go to reconnect it starter motor starts again even when key is not in ignition!! What the heck did I do wrong?
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-15-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Brake Warning Reset Procedure
    If you do not have any codes, but still have a brake warning, it is possible the low pressure switch has been activated. There are three switches in the brake circuit. 1. Brake light switch, 2. Hydraulic pressure switch, and 3. Low pressure switch (this is really a limit switch that just senses the pedal has traveled too far). This can be reset by the following procedure.After a low pressure switch (LPS) problem hasbeen solved, it is necessary to clear the occurredfault in the VCM as follows:1. Turn ignition switch OFF.2. Wait 30 seconds.3. Turn ignition switch ON.4. Press the brake pedal, you should hear two clicks. NOTE: The 1st click will come from the brake lightswitch. Continue to strongly press the brake pedal to heara 2nd click. This one will come from the low pressureswitch. You may not hear the click, just push the pedal real hard.5. Turn ignition switch OFF.6. Wait 30 seconds.7. Turn ignition switch ON.8. Validate fault was cleared.
    What caused the condition in the first place? This has happened to me a couple of times. When the parking brake is ON and your foot is on the brake pedal, then you release the parking brake, you will feel the brake pedal go down an additional amount. If it goes down far enough to activate the 3rd switch, that is when you get the brake failure message. Now I'm just careful of the pressure I put on the brake pedal when I release the parking brake. No more problems.
    Yep but now I cant even reconnect battery terminal as starter kicks on

Spyder Garage

If you notice the orca closes the switch when the engine is running the starter engages immediately when the engine stops.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Does the initial screen appear? The one you need to press the mode key to clear.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

no, as soon as I go to connect neg wire the starter starts turning with no key in it..I immediately remove as not to fry starter

Spyder Garage

If I leave neg wire attached and insert key bike starts and starter stops..should I connect neg wire start bike and turn off key to see if this remedies the problem? also trying to do this in 111 degree Arizona heat.....

Spyder Garage

First, remove the key completely, then leave the battery disconnected for one hour. This will assure the computer resets. Then without the key in the ignition, connect the negative lead of the battery. I am assuming you have not removed the positive lead. If that is successful, turn the key on and start the bike.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

This is what Im saying..I have the key out..when I go to reconnect neg wire it sparks a little and starter kicks over ..I never removed pos terminal side..So should I quickly reattach neg wire and insert key while starter is spinning start bike and then turn off?

Spyder Garage

Keep the battery completely disconnected for one hour. I want to make sure the computer is reset. Something is energizing the starter and I want to make sure it's not software. If that doesn't work, do as you just suggested.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

OK I'll wait an hour to see if this works …..

Spyder Garage

Nope!!! Thanx Grandpot for your help but it wont stop..It violently sparks (almost welding itself to post)when I go to reattach the black wires and the starter spins..I didn't even try to start bike as I didn't want to fry the starter..Should of never listened to the poster that said for me to do this now my only recourse is to get a tow to shop.Hundreds of dollars for what was supposed to be a simple at home fix!!! Jeez....

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that. Unless you know someone with a BUDS system nearby, the dealer is your logical recourse. Good luck.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Nope just moved here a couple of months ago...members should beware of posters offering advice that have no business in doing so especially from other countries!!

Spyder Garage

Does the starter try to engage even if the engine kill switch is off?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Yes ..I tried that too..very confusing

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=wilpir;1466655]Nope just moved here a couple of months ago...members should beware of posters offering advice that have no business in doing so especially from other countries!![/

I know you’re frustrated but blaming someone else for your situation is wrong. If you didn’t know how to disconnect and reconnect the battery you probably shouldn’t have attempted it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ive had motorcycles my whole life , raced supermoto for years never had a problem with disconnecting a battery in my life! Didn't know it would do this to my bike ! No where in the manual does it say this happens....