Spyder Garage

Default Parts list for Gas Struts

For anyone who has a rack or would like their trunk to open better here is a list of parts that you can order from McMaster Carr online,the short strut is for the trunk and the long strut is for the seat.I now have 2 struts on the trunk which finally works great and 1 strut on the seat which now pops open by it self even if I leave my helmet on the seat.I just turn the key and it pops open.4CE9CD96-9290-4BDB-8788-A891C6A58E69.jpg
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    For anyone who has a rack or would like their trunk to open better here is a list of parts that you can order from McMaster Carr online,the short strut is for the trunk and the long strut is for the seat.I now have 2 struts on the trunk which finally works great and 1 strut on the seat which now pops open by it self even if I leave my helmet on the seat.I just turn the key and it pops open.4CE9CD96-9290-4BDB-8788-A891C6A58E69.jpg
    Thanks, I have been saying for … years … that you could find these at McMasterCarr, if you knew what size they needed to be …. but I have a question why did you buy the struts without the fittings already on them, because they are sold already assembled for less money ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

On the trunk strut it was a little shorter so I got the eye separately bc I could get one that was slightly longer that way to make up the difference.As far as the seat strut I’m not sure I saw that it was available with the sockets.I also ordered an extra long ball stud bc I wasn’t sure which one would fit best.
    :

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the trunk strut it was a little shorter so I got the eye separately bc I could get one that was slightly longer that way to make up the difference.As far as the seat strut I’m not sure I saw that it was available with the sockets.I also ordered an extra long ball stud bc I wasn’t sure which one would fit best.
    ..Well that makes sense now that you put it that way ……. I love DIYer's ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default rear trunk gas spring

Thanks for the info! I'd like to add my two cents worth. I found the gas spring with the ball socket end and the eye end listed above to be about 1/4' shorter than the stock spring, which caused the trunk to open lower than before. Also, I wanted to keep the stock eye-end due to the thickness difference and the factory bushing. However, this made the overall length 5/8" shorter making the opening height even worse. To remedy this, I simply drilled a new mounting point for the ball end 5/8" higher than before using a 5/16" drill bit. Works perfectly, and has the original opening height! If anyone else wants to do this, just buy the gas spring listed above and the ball socket end. Reuse your original eye end and bushing. Those two parts will set you back $13.53 plus tax & shipping instead of the (over) $62 that Can Am wants plus shipping. By the way, I do not have an additional rack installed, so I went with the 30 lb. spring. Sorry, the last two photos didn't rotate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I have a rack and its always loaded so it works great with 2 struts now.Interesting that they put holes in as if maybe it would have been optional or some engineer decided they could get away with just 1 strut but really they couldn't.
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..Well that makes sense now that you put it that way ……. I love DIYer's ….. Mike
    First, thank you so much for the info! As far as the trunk goes, I assume you need 2 of the end fittings for the shock, and 2 of the M6 snap on ball sockets correct?
    What size did you end up using for the Ball Studs, 1.19 or 1.63?
    BTW, I already fixed my seat shock after getting a Russell Day Long which was too heavy for the original shock and now the seat works great!
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Spyder Garage

Default Parts for deck lid strut

Can you tell me the part numbers needed for the parts that are attached to the strut. I ordered the strut but need the end
    fittings. Thanks in advance. This is for the rear deck lid.