Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Are Spyder's reliable

You hear a lot of people asking about the reliability of the Spyder. I was the same way when I purchased this Spyder. I have been riding motorcycles for 63 years and like to tour. I thought maybe people thinking about one after reading this might help them to decide. About two years ago I purchased a 2015 Rt Spyder. It was a used one with around 9,000 miles on it. I now have 37,000 miles on it. Right after purchasing it I found this website ( Spyder Lovers). I did a lot of reading and learned all the things to look for. It did not handle right at all and I did not really like it that well. If I could have taken it back and got my money back I sure would have.

The first thing I did was purchase a pair of lasers. I watched several videos on laser aligning. I made stands and things I needed to do the aligning. After getting it aligned properly I then replaced the front tires with Federal AZO1 165-55/R15d had them balanced at a tire shop. I do all my own tire work. I then replaced the rear tire with a General Altimax TR43 215-60/R15. The tire shop could not balance it with their balancer so I purchased a Centramatic balancer from Lamonster Garage for the rear wheel. At the same time I installed Bajaron Sway Bar. I put 19 pounds of air in the front tires and 29 pounds in the rear tire. After all these things the Spyder rode and handled completely different. I could not believe how smooth it rode. I had read so much about Doc's Belt Vibration Damper I decided to purchase and install one. I do believe it did take a little vibration away. I did not have enough before to really tell. I also purchased a Krikit belt tension gauge to adjust the belt tension correctly. It took me a good week of riding and adjusting the belt alignment to get it perfect. After riding a short distance the belt will be off the rear pulley just over the thickness of a credit card. It took a lot of patience’s and time for me to get this like I wanted it. I have added other things to the Spyder but these are things I feel they really need to improved the riding and handling.

I have put a round 28,000 miles on the Spyder. Now I will list the problems I have had. There is only one. At about 20,000 miles I started getting the orange screen with the Dess code. It would not start without removing the key sometimes several times. I never got stranded but it did make me pretty nervous. I found on the internet where the Dess module was located and how to change it. I purchased one from Cheap Motorcycle Parts. I removed the front funk and found the Dess module. I did not mount it back at that location. The wires to it were long enough to reach up above the funk so I replaced it by where the water and antifreeze is poured in. That way if it ever bothers again I would not have to remove the front funk which is time consuming. That is the only problem I have ever had and I do ride it pretty hard.

I do all my own service. I change the oil and filter about every 4,000 miles. I have changed the transmission filter one time and I have a K&M air filter. I changed the Spark Plugs at 30,450 miles. That is kind of a hard job.
    I feel a Can Am Spyder is a pretty reliable machine. I really miss a two wheel touring bike but at my age I would never go back to one. As far as three wheels I like the Spyder over the trike.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Great write up. The Spyders have a few idiosyncrasies that can be addressed. I believe once you get it past the "work the bugs out" phase they can be very reliable long distance machines. Mine had a few growing pains, but it's coming into it's own now.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Gonna go with.....

Yes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good information.

Spyder Garage

All machines have issues or challenges.I had a GW that I added every doodad you could could think of to make that bike as "Tour" capable as possible but in the end as I got older all the challenges of touring on a 2 wheeler got to me.I finally broke down and got a Spyder and its renewed my interest in touring.Now Im spending my time thinking about ways to make it the best it can be for my touring needs.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Nice report on your 15 RT and your maintenance skills. I also have the 2015 and have the same tires and have done the other maintenance you described. I also like the smoothness of the ride and the motor and am amazed at its not using oil still at 52,000 miles. I also had the DESS module replaced, but am looking forward to the next 50,000 miles at least on this machine.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

WOW! I am impressed on all of your mechanical skills. wish I knew half of what you know? thanks for all of the info..
    On a separate issue, have you heard about NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders)???? we are a group of about 60+ members (maybe 20-25+ active) that ride as a group on the 3rd Sunday of each month usually starting out in Council Bluffs. Chico Fowler and myself are the co-founders of NISR and would certainly welcome you to join us anytime. No fees, no obligations what so ever.. Just ride the winds with fellow Spyder owners.. tks
    Gary F. Friedenbach
    bigeff@cox.net

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, they are.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Good write up. Like anything else, they can break, but do not seem to be prone to do it, MOST of the time.

My overall experience has been good. First Spyder purchased in Alaska. Have owned five since 2008. Over 150,000 combined miles, no major problems with any of them. Dealer was very good in Alaska until the final year when they decided to drop the line. So far, in Arkansas, I have had Lamonster Garage do my servicing. I am VERY HAPPY going there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesterday I replaces the General tire on the rear. It had about 19,000 miles on it. I probably could have got another 2 or 3 thousand miles out of it but in about three weeks I plan to make a trip to El Paso, TX. That would e over 2,000 miles round trip. The change went real well. I took it for a test ride today and the belt alignment had not changed any. It did seem to ride a little smother. A while back I had changed the brake pads out and I started getting brake squealing. I purchased a tube of Sil-Glyde brake lubricant from Amazon and applied it on the back side of brakes pads on all three wheels and that seem to take care of the squealing. The Spyder should be ready for the trip to El Paso.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS