Spyder Garage

Default The "honeymoon" may be over

Ok - kind folks - talk me off the ledge

After 3 months of trouble free zipping around town I decided to take my 600 Ryker to the dealer for a 1k (1.2k actually) mile checkup and oil change. Decided to go the fast way - I95 N for about 40 miles or so. Just as I was entering the highway at about 45mph on a slight curve and I heard for the first time the whistle and got the "Limp mode" flash and proceeded to take the next exit and figure things out. Limped home for about 6 miles at around 35mph. Called the dealer who told me I probably had my foot lingering on the brake which would cause this (they are a new dealer and are finding stuff out - duh!) and for me to wait a couple of hours and the Limp mode would go away. I know damn well that my foot was not on the brake for more than a couple of seconds a couple of times when needed in traffic - I don't ryde with my foot covering the brake!

Sure enough when starting the bike 3 hours later the limp mode was still activated. Now I have the choice of driving in limp mode 50 miles or so to the dealer I bought the bike from or try the dealer close by my home (from whom I did not buy the bike) Chose to do the latter but of course have to wait about 3 weeks for any diagnostic service.

When I start the bike the limp mode is on - the VSS icon is showing and the engine icon is flashing and the screen says VSS problem - is there a way I can access a code # or something to more precisely indicate my problem or do I have to wait for 3 weeks to find out?

I did try to search this on this site but did not find details relating to a Ryker 600.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I haven’t seen the procedure for pulling codes on the Ryker but if your dealer told you that you needed to wait a couple of hours for Limp Mode to go away, I’d be looking for a new dealer. It doesn’t take hours for the computer to reset.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

In my opinion very few dealers are familiar with the product

Spyder Garage

My only experience with the Ryker 600 was a several mile demo ride last October, but.......My foreman here on the ranch has a Polaris 4 wheeler that was having an intermittent ignition failure. If he turned off the key and waited a little while before restarting it, it would start and run for a while. He called his dealer and he was at a loss. We were able to pull an error code but nobody seemed to know what it meant. I suggested to him that he disconnect the battery and see if that made a difference. He did and the problem went away. I think maybe it needed to be totally disconnected to reboot the system. My solution may be similar to someone who is convinced that beating on a washtub makes the sun come up in the morning...............
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Not familiar with the ryker but most spyders once shut down and key removed will reset in at the most 45 min. Most less than that. The battery disconnect will work for sure. Once this is done then all should be gone and if it is a problem it will come back. Then you will have to be shop bound. Check engine light comes on for any reason including non engine issues.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Not familiar with the ryker but most spyders once shut down and key removed will reset in at the most 45 min. Most less than that. The battery disconnect will work for sure. Once this is done then all should be gone and if it is a problem it will come back. Then you will have to be shop bound. Check engine light comes on for any reason including non engine issues.
    Thanks - as suggested I will disconnect and reconnect the battery and will advise further.

Spyder Garage

Hi Guy's: I have 2 +600's. In mid July my 600 went into limp mode at about 25 mph. Shut it down and in a couple of minutes started it and it was fine. Took to dealer and nothing showed up. Said had a patch coming and I have not heard from the dealer on this. My wife's 600 went into limp mode just out of the driveway at 10 mph in mid June. Waited a couple of minutes and did a start and is fine. No other problems with this. Good luck in getting your problem solved. I don't think anyone really knows what the problem is. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like Ann said. Once it's off, it's off. Once it's on it's on. The only thing that stays on is the line of BS you get from dealers that are unfamiliar with the products they sell. That fault code is $$$$$.

Spyder Garage

About a month after I got my 600, I was in the middle of a slight S turn and the VSS light came on and Limp Mode displayed. I limped the 4 miles home (never got over 42mph). The only dealer in Jax (also where I purchased the Ryker) made arrangements to come by my house pick up the Ryker. They were able to determine that the Yaw Sensor had gone bad and it took about 10 days to get a new one and replace.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freezefm View Post
    About a month after I got my 600, I was in the middle of a slight S turn and the VSS light came on and Limp Mode displayed. I limped the 4 miles home (never got over 42mph). The only dealer in Jax (also where I purchased the Ryker) made arrangements to come by my house pick up the Ryker. They were able to determine that the Yaw Sensor had gone bad and it took about 10 days to get a new one and replace.

Francis
    Thanks Francis - my bike is at the same dealer you refer to and probably has the same problem but I would like to know if I can get a code earlier that would let me know.

I did not buy from this dealer due to difficulties with the sales dept/m that I detailed in an earlier thread, BUT I did read your earlier thread about how happy you were with their service dep/m so I am optimistic!

I have not had a chance to disconnect and reconnect the battery yet but will update as soon as I have.

Thanks for your input.

I know it is preseason but - "Go Jags"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
    In my opinion very few dealers are familiar with the product
    About my Rally my dealer told me, "you know more about it than we do." Well £×€& you very much!
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    ... but I would like to know if I can get a code earlier that would let me know...
    How to read the fault code using the multifunction Gauge
    Note: A fault code must have the "Active" state to be displayed in the multifunction gauge. Other fault code states must be read using the BRP diagnostic software (BUDS2).
    If a fault is detected, an indicator light and a fault message may come on in the gauge.
    Proceed as follows to view the fault codes:
    1. Turn vehicle ON by pressing start button without activating brake pedal.
    2. Push lower multifunction gauge button until Settings menu appears.
    3. Hold lower button to enter the Settings menu.
    4. Press the lower button until Codes menu appears. This menu will only appear if active faults are present on the vehicle.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freezefm View Post
    How to read the fault code using the multifunction Gauge
    Note: A fault code must have the "Active" state to be displayed in the multifunction gauge. Other fault code states must be read using the BRP diagnostic software (BUDS2).
    If a fault is detected, an indicator light and a fault message may come on in the gauge.
    Proceed as follows to view the fault codes:
    1. Turn vehicle ON by pressing start button without activating brake pedal.
    2. Push lower multifunction gauge button until Settings menu appears.
    3. Hold lower button to enter the Settings menu.
    4. Press the lower button until Codes menu appears. This menu will only appear if active faults are present on the vehicle.

Francis
    Thanks again Francis - I unhooked battery and re attached it and no difference - still showing same fault.

I followed your instructions and initially it showed me UNI 15 - then I redid it and came up with codes C006C and C0063.

Does anyone know what these codes mean or where I can look them up please.

Appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Did some checking - looks like a yaw rate sensor issue - seems like a common fault - hopefully covered under the first year warranty.