Spyder Garage

Default Drive Belt 2016 F3 Special Series

Just had rear tire replaced on my wife's F3 and dealer pointed out that belt was a little chewed up on inside, I guess a few little rocks were stuck in rear sprocket. I did notice it and there are a couple of very very small hairline tears in edge of belt. We have a trip coming up in Sept going around the Great Lakes which should put on a few thousand miles and I have no experience with belts on how long they last, for all I know this could last another few years or could break next week?? Has any one else had issues with belts? My question is should I replace it before we go? Buy a belt and have it on hand in case it does break during the trip and not waiting for parts? Or are belts are pretty tough and just see how long it last? Is dealer the only place to get a belt? Or are there aftermarkets that are just as good? I think the dealer wanted somewhere around $350 just for the belt. The good thing is I will have my bike and my wife will have her bike so if it does break we won't be stranded. Anyone have any experience with belts?? Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Buy one online. Cheap cycle parts.com, or, type the part number in google. Search for the cheapest one. Meanwhile, use a copper colored sharpie to mark the tears. If they grow beyond the mark, it is doomed. If it does not, keep using it. Check the belt weekly, and keep the pulleys clear of rocks. If the belt spits out teeth, it is doomed; soon! Replace. The copper sharpie marks will fade. Refresh until you are sure it is okay, or, confirm it’s failing.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Buy one online. Cheap cycle parts.com, or, type the part number in google. Search for the cheapest one. Meanwhile, use a copper colored sharpie to mark the tears. If they grow beyond the mark, it is doomed. If it does not, keep using it. Check the belt weekly, and keep the pulleys clear of rocks. If the belt spits out teeth, it is doomed; soon! Replace. The copper sharpie marks will fade. Refresh until you are sure it is okay, or, confirm it’s failing.
    Sounds good.....Thanks for the info!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DaveM, If your F3 Special has the 89T rear sprocket I have a new BRP belt & black sprocket I would sell at a very fair price...I was hoping that Monster would get the 89T sprocket deal working on the RT's, but that had a clitch that didn't get fixed...PM me if interested...THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    DaveM, If your F3 Special has the 89T rear sprocket I have a new BRP belt & black sprocket I would sell at a very fair price...I was hoping that Monster would get the 89T sprocket deal working on the RT's, but that had a clitch that didn't get fixed...PM me if interested...THANK YOU, larryd
    Thanks anyway Larry, I ended up finding one online OEM belt alot cheaper than my dealer would have. I am just gonna keep an eye on this belt to see how it wears and take along the new one on my trip atleast this way if something does happen I will already have the part and not be waiting for that.