Spyder Garage

Default Where to run Apple Lightning Cable from Frunk to Handlebar for Center-Mounted iPhone?

My next project is to run an Apple Lightning Cable from the USB in the Frunk to Handlebar Center-Mounted iPhone on my 2019 RT Limited.
    Pierre has been very helpful at Spyder TV. Thanks Pierre.
    My main question right now is where to drill the exit hole in the frunk? I'm a newbie and don't want to do any damage or drill in the wrong place. Any guidance or advice is appreciated.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If you have a long enough lightning cable, don't even drill a hole. Run the cable out of the frunk through the top of the battery cover drawer. I have a pigtail for my battery tender that comes into my frunk at the top of the battery door, have recently ridden 4+ hours in a frog strangling rain storm along with other heavy rain and have not ever gotten water in the frunk in almost 62K miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomSpecial View Post
    My next project is to run an Apple Lightning Cable from the USB in the Frunk to Handlebar Center-Mounted iPhone on my 2019 RT Limited.
    Pierre has been very helpful at Spyder TV. Thanks Pierre.
    My main question right now is where to drill the exit hole in the frunk? I'm a newbie and don't want to do any damage or drill in the wrong place. Any guidance or advice is appreciated.
    If you use the USB port in the frunk the cable will most likely get knocked off and you'll probably not notice that the iPhone isn't charging. You'd be better off putting a USB port in the dash and running the power to it from the keyed power fuse in the right side fuse block. Open up the back of the fuse block and you'll see that a few wires can be run thru the oblong slots back beside the radiator bottle and up under the headlights to the area of the dash where the USB port you just installed. The port can be easily mounted in the speaker grill which pops out easily.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

If you want to charge it do as others have said and fit usb socket in the blank on the switches in centre of bars. If you want music n Bluetooth, do as ive done.. Ive fitted a old Bluetooth adapter I had [the type to fit to docking stations on music systems back in the day] .. plugged it onto end of lighting cable in trunk ..paired it to iphone and can listen to Bluetooth from phone..music or radio.. comes out of aux on bike speakers as well if needed..I listen to it on Bluetooth headset in helmet...simplz!

Spyder Garage

I believe the phone becomes locked when the bike is turned on and the phone is connected to the USB in the frunk. On my 19 RTL, I can do everything I need to do via bluetooth, ie listen to music, get audible notifications and see phone calls on the dash which are connected to my helmet by bluethooth. I see no need to connect to the USB in the frunk other then charging and I put a USB outlet in my dash for that purpose. The USB in the frunk is only good if you'd like to use BRP connect thru the app on the phone. This only gives you control of apps that are compatible with BRP connect. I didn't find that useful for me so I am using the dash plug for charging and everything else bluetooth. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

No need to drill. route the cable where the charging cable comes into the frunk. I used an 8' cable that is more than long enough. Test it to make sure it works before routing it. Took me about 10 minutes. I did it at night with a trouble light so I could see where the cable came out of the frunk and where it needed to go to come out underneath the handlebars. Couple of velcro strips on the bar and a wrap around the ball for my phone mount and it was done. You'll have to pull the grill panel to fish it up to the space underneath the handle bar.