Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How safe?

Spyder Garage

Having just had a hip replacement I’m moving to a 3 wheels for most of my road riding to reduce significantly the risk of coming off the vehicle by my own bad choices or adverse road conditions. For the last two years I have also utilized an airbag jacket.

Spyder Garage

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

my brother was killed on his harley when he was 34 years old, i'm 64 and have never had a really bad wreck on a bike, but i was almost killed on a little 250 4 wheeler last summer playing in the field, my point is you never know what will get you or when and its usually not what you think that will get you.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on passing your 3 wheel course. As a rider of 2 wheelers for over 30 years and now over 4 years as a Spyder Rider, let me add my 2 cents to the equation of you becoming a Spyder owner and getting out there to enjoy the scenery and fresh air. I believe the Spyder is the only trike engineered to be on 3 wheels. The Harleys and Gold Wings are put together as a kit is added to an existing cycle to make it a trike. What is most interesting is the rear tires on the trike are car wheels and the front is a standard motorcycle tire. Before purchasing a Spyder I drove a Harley and Goldwing Trike and did not like the feel of the ride. The Spyder feels like it belongs on the road and offers a more comfortable and stable ride. After deciding what Spyder to purchase I can only encourage you to heed what you learned in the theory portion of your safety course and that is first and foremost add the gear necessary to increase your ability to survive in the event something happens. WEAR A GOOD QUALITY HELMET! Broken bones in your arms and legs can heal after time, but you only have one chance with your head in the event it makes a hard impact with the ground or other elements. It gives your head a chance. Now that your equipped with your Spyder of choice and have equipment to protect your body, let me please add some other advice to help you safely enjoy your rides.

1. Get it in your mind, you have to drive double or triple defensively. Don't assume everyone sees you, because, they don't. Develop your defensive skills from day one. Besides the people who don't have their eyes constantly on the road, watch for driver's pulling out in front of you from side roads. Some driver's don't see motorcycles only cars or larger vehicles. Whatever you can do to make you more visible, do it. All lights on including high beams. Another plus of increasing your defensive riding skills as a Spyder Lover will increase your awareness when driving other motor vehicles. You will be a better driver all around.

2. Try to avoid the main busier roads if possible. Riding the less congested back roads affords a much more enjoyable and safer ride. Hopefully you live in an area of Pa. which gives you access to great scenic back roads.

Finally, with a great Spyder Trike, the proper safety equipment, and the proper mind set to develop defensive driving skills necessary to enjoy the roads in the open air, let me again congratulate you in wanting to be a Spyder Lover and Rider and you are in the right place to get the very best advice from the many great contributor's to this Forum as I did. You can count on these experts to help you enjoy your Spyder experience. Enjoy the Ride and be Safe!

Spyder Garage

As I stand at the top of a double diamond ski run ( know as the chutes as in avalanche chute ) at my advanced age----- I don't wonder if I'm going to catch a edge or loose my balance. I'm going to kick this runs' butt and have a good time.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I my case - I had a Ducati motorcycle and wife would not allow my 9 year old on the back with me so I bought the Spyder with the back rest and she was totally fine with that. As for riding with him now - the seat is much larger etc and he is not clinging to me with vice like grip.. So relaxed now and we ride more together over longish distances.
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )