Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How safe?

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default How safe?

First thanks for all the replies to a previous post. I seriously have the bug to purchase a spyder and will be taking the 3-wrc.

Every once in awhile I think about “how risky is riding a Spyder?” While inherently there seems to be more risk than driving in a cage, but then I wonder if spyders are more visible, and more stable. And are most motorcycle accidents related to speed, alcohol, poor situational awareness?

Just wondering your thoughts. Maybe I need talking into pulling the trigger and just going for it and purchasing a spyder. I used to pilot small airplanes, and at that time accepted the risk, but it’s funny once you have kids you tend to think through some things differently.

Maybe I’m overthinking things. Thanks for your thoughts!

snayl135
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    First thanks for all the replies to a previous post. I seriously have the bug to purchase a spyder and will be taking the 3-wrc.

Every once in awhile I think about “how risky is riding a Spyder?” While inherently there seems to be more risk than driving in a cage, but then I wonder if spyders are more visible, and more stable. And are most motorcycle accidents related to speed, alcohol, poor situational awareness?

Just wondering your thoughts. Maybe I need talking into pulling the trigger and just going for it and purchasing a spyder. I used to pilot small airplanes, and at that time accepted the risk, but it’s funny once you have kids you tend to think through some things differently.

snayl135
    RISK - well you couldn't get me to FLY in a small airplane ….. that being said, cars - trks. are a lot safer than ANY motorcycle in an accident. … but I have over 50 yrs. on TWO wheel mtc's….. and now 10 years on three ( Spyders not conv. trikes - those su*k )….. Spyder are unique, once you learn How to drive them they are much, much safer than the Two wheel type..... PS, my background was in Law enforcement and I was a certified Accident investigator …………. Mike

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Whet we do, ryding Spyders, is inherently dangerous. You accept the risk or not. The Spyder is more visible and more stable than other motorcycles, but just like on two wheels, we are exposed to the elements and to stupid cagers that still say,"I'm sorry, I didn't see you. You must be hyper aware, and assume that you are invisible! But it sure is fun to be in the scenery and not driving through it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Safer than A 2 wheel, safer than a trike which can flip in turns. of course not as safe as a car. Main hazards: poor situational awareness, other drivers not seeing you. All in the amount of risk you are willing to take.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Yes the Spyder is more stable that a two wheeled bike, yes it is larger and can be seen better. Safer maybe in a sense, however when you get on one you have to take on the risk. The biggest safety feature is your situational awareness you must keep your head on a swivel. I have not read news report of a Spyder running into a car, it is always the other way around. People texting, driving distracted or simply just not paying attention is the biggest danger against us on the road.

With that said, if we live our lives in fear of what may happen we would have very limited enjoyment. Get out there and ride!
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Life is a risk and usually ends with death.

Spyder Garage

Just like aircraft, 90% pilot error. You go out thinking you are Superman,
    you will soon be smashed flat like Turtleman.
    Skies are wide open, the roadways are not. How old are your kids ? Could they deal with Daddy being gone ?
    It's a dangerous business, much like life. You don't mention any two wheel experience, so there is a good
    possibility that your survival instincts aren't fine tuned like many biker's are. In any case, good luck.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Just like aircraft, 90% pilot error. You go out thinking you are Superman,
    you will soon be smashed flat like Turtleman.
    Skies are wide open, the roadways are not. How old are your kids ? Could they deal with Daddy being gone ?
    It's a dangerous business, much like life. You don't mention any two wheel experience, so there is a good
    possibility that your survival instincts aren't fine tuned like many biker's are. In any case, good luck.
    Some valid points here...esp re age of your kids...the "older" folks I see coming thru MSF training AFTER the kids are grown.
    As far as 2-wheel vs 3-wheel experience, well, prior 2-wheel exp can provide a built-in respect for safety, but it is not a guarantee of safety, nor your respect for it.
    Taking the 3WRC is a great first step...and currently an inexpensive way to begin to determine if 3W (or any) form of riding is for you.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

As I have heard say.... It's a risk to get up in the morning. To some waking up is " I made it through the night" and to others it's "Let's get this day started". Risk as to the spyder.. well more than a car but less than a motorcycle. How far should one go..? Something no one can tell you as there is a lot involved in that answer. Permission we can give you from our experience and situation. So contemplate why you want to do this and where and how much you want to ryde. You could rent a spyder and ryde a few days and see if it helps you make up your mind. Have fun with finding out
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My Yamaha 750 provided many memorable rides in the 70s, and met my wife then in the early 80s and after a few years work and life and a couple of close calls caused me to sell it. Then in 2007 my wife suggested we go look at the Honda Shadow and more good memories and many more miles of smiles on the bikes and Spydees since. Would I ryde in Denver at this stage in my life? Not likely, but on the more open plains and mountain roads it is a pleasure that we look forward to and accept the risk of our declining skills. Keep your eyes vigilant, and let your age translate to the level of ryding that your skill allows...
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 08-14-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: gram.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    My Yamaha 750 provided many memorable rides in the 70s, and met my wife then in the 80s work and life and a couple of close calls caused me to sell it. Then in 2007 my wife suggested we go look at the Honda Shadow and more good memories and many more miles of smiles on the bikes and Spydees since. Would I ryde in Denver at this stage in my life? Not likely, but on the more open plains and mountain roads it is a pleasure that we look forward too and accept the risk of our declining skills. Keep your eyes vigilant, and let your age translate to the level of ryding that your skill allows...
    I read every post (not a lot) and agree with all of them. This one I've quoted nailed everything.

Riding anything that offers less protection than a steel cage around you comes with a proportional amount of risk. You and you alone have to make the decision about how much risk you are willing to take. Of all the other thoughts one of the most important is fine tuned situational awareness. When I was first learning to ride a motorcycle back in 1968, an older and much more experienced rider taught me a lot of things that would have taken years to learn on my own. I still feel the most important of those was to try and be completely aware of everything happening all around you. He said you need to pay attention to EVERYTHING within 12 seconds of you-front back and both sides. While it's no guarantee you will be 100% safe, it's a good start, just like your choice to start with a professionally taught rider course.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Yes, they are safer but you can make it safer by wearing proper gear. My car is safe, and I don’t think I will be in an accident each time I drive it but I wear my seatbelt anyway. Same goes on the Spyder, I always wear my gear since you don’t get to pick when you might have an accident.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, they are safer but you can make it safer by wearing proper gear. My car is safe, and I don’t think I will be in an accident each time I drive it but I wear my seatbelt anyway. Same goes on the Spyder, I always wear my gear since you don’t get to pick when you might have an accident.
    Ann, I have said this to people until I am blue in the face. They say, if I am just going out for a short ryde I wear shorts and flip flops. “ You don’t get to choose when you have a wreck”.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

snayl135
    Your doing it the right way, take the class, be aware and knowledgeable of your ride. Then Live to Ride, Ride to Live. I hope to see you on the road someday. One more thing I will share with you, I went on a ride this week to Front Royal VA. to give Children a ride on the my Spyder (they are cancer patients) ages 7-13 they loved it. Kids love riding on the Spyder, wind therapy.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-14-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

snayl135
    The thing that worries me most about riding my motorcycle, or a Spyder, is:

TEXTING By other Drivers!!!

There is nothing a Spyder rider, or motorcycle rider, can do about that.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

What everyone has said so far is a valid statement. I would not refrain from riding anything because of woulda, coulda, shoulda. Safety awareness is what is foremost in my book.

Drive like "they" are out to get you. Anticipate the worst from everyone. Sometimes they do, and the anticipation gives you a heads up.

That said...buy the Spyder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

ATGATT before you get on the Spyder; SITUATIONAL AWARENESS from the time you get on until the time you get off!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Life is fraught with danger. The ONLY guarantee is you WILL die in the end. Your choice is how much of a participant you want to be and what you choose to do to mitigate the risks you're willing to take.

That said, when my wife and I ride, we wear all our gear. If we think it's going to be too hot to wear it, we don't ride. Just that simple. Motorcycle safety course, first and foremost. Study and review what you're taught. APPLY IT AT ALL TIMES! You don't always get a second chance!

If you think that you can do a lot of sight seeing, you are correct. Only thing is, you will need to pull off the road to enjoy the sights if you plan on giving more than a cursory glance. Riding is a full time job! It will take a while to get comfortable with your new ryde. You want to know where all the controls are and for it to be second nature when you need to use them. There's no time to think about it. You need to do it NOW, especially if it's an emergency situation.

My wife and I have been riding our Spyder for four seasons now and absolutely love it. But the fun does come with responsibility. Just remember and act accordingly.

Hope you make the plunge. Life on three wheels is a blast!
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 08-14-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Corrected Auto Correct!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

snayl135

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    What everyone has said so far is a valid statement. I would not refrain from riding anything because of woulda, coulda, shoulda. Safety awareness is what is foremost in my book.

Drive like "they" are out to get you. Anticipate the worst from everyone. Sometimes they do, and the anticipation gives you a heads up.

That said...buy the Spyder.
    first off Acting responsibly is key, can you take the 3-wrc first? That will help provide lot of safety training for you to better judge your level of safety:enjoyment. Just think of it as becoming a pilot
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-14-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Responsibly

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have ridden motorcycles for 53 years. Raced flat track in my 20's and in my 40's.
    Also did some "Iron Butt" stuff.
    Drive as if you are invisible.
    They are out to get you.
    Riding is not the time to relax.
    You need to be "on" all the time.
    When you are in a cage and you see a car approaching a stop sign or about to turn left across your lane or anything else like this, you can think: "he (or she) might pull out in front of me".
    When you are on a bike or Spyder, you HAVE to think "that car IS going to pull out in front of me".
    If you don't think that way, you will eventually have a problem.
    Have fun !!!

Spyder Garage

A big +1 to that.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Protective high viz gear, including helmet. Swivel head, swivel eyes. Added lights, especially on the front. Check mirrors every few seconds. Proper tire air pressures. Proper maintenance. Riding cautiously. All these will help to keep you safer, but not safe. You must realize motorcycling is a risk activity and ride accordingly.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the posts. Well I finally went and passed the 3-wrc this past weekend....yay!!!!! I have to say it was more work than I thought it was going to be....was rainy, cold, but fun. Most of all though, I learned the basics of operating a spyder safely. Next step will be to go and demo some spyders. I had been given a ryker for the course and test. It was a very stable machine, but I would like to demo an F3, SE5 and RT. I sat on an RT that was there - and oh my!!! what a difference! It was like sitting in a Cadillac compared to the Ryker. Anyway, I'm hoping to post more as time goes on. I don't suspect I will start more seriously looking until late winter/early spring as I have to tighten up the budget in anticipation for adding a spyder to the family hmmm, now which one is the question?! More to come hopefully!

snayl135
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the posts. Well I finally went and passed the 3-wrc this past weekend....yay!!!!! I have to say it was more work than I thought it was going to be....was rainy, cold, but fun. Most of all though, I learned the basics of operating a spyder safely. Next step will be to go and demo some spyders. I had been given a ryker for the course and test. It was a very stable machine, but I would like to demo an F3, SE5 and RT. I sat on an RT that was there - and oh my!!! what a difference! It was like sitting in a Cadillac compared to the Ryker. Anyway, I'm hoping to post more as time goes on. I don't suspect I will start more seriously looking until late winter/early spring as I have to tighten up the budget in anticipation for adding a spyder to the family hmmm, now which one is the question?! More to come hopefully!

snayl135
    Congratulations on taking and passing the course. Now go find the Spyder that fits you. BTW the SE5 refers to a Spyder type Transmission not a model. That transmission was used on the V Twins. A great choice if budget is limited. They are older and since the 1330 not in great demand.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on passing your 3 wheel course. As a rider of 2 wheelers for over 30 years and now over 4 years as a Spyder Rider, let me add my 2 cents to the equation of you becoming a Spyder owner and getting out there to enjoy the scenery and fresh air. I believe the Spyder is the only trike engineered to be on 3 wheels. The Harleys and Gold Wings are put together as a kit is added to an existing cycle to make it a trike. What is most interesting is the rear tires on the trike are car wheels and the front is a standard motorcycle tire. Before purchasing a Spyder I drove a Harley and Goldwing Trike and did not like the feel of the ride. The Spyder feels like it belongs on the road and offers a more comfortable and stable ride. After deciding what Spyder to purchase I can only encourage you to heed what you learned in the theory portion of your safety course and that is first and foremost add the gear necessary to increase your ability to survive in the event something happens. WEAR A GOOD QUALITY HELMET! Broken bones in your arms and legs can heal after time, but you only have one chance with your head in the event it makes a hard impact with the ground or other elements. It gives your head a chance. Now that your equipped with your Spyder of choice and have equipment to protect your body, let me please add some other advice to help you safely enjoy your rides.

1. Get it in your mind, you have to drive double or triple defensively. Don't assume everyone sees you, because, they don't. Develop your defensive skills from day one. Besides the people who don't have their eyes constantly on the road, watch for driver's pulling out in front of you from side roads. Some driver's don't see motorcycles only cars or larger vehicles. Whatever you can do to make you more visible, do it. All lights on including high beams. Another plus of increasing your defensive riding skills as a Spyder Lover will increase your awareness when driving other motor vehicles. You will be a better driver all around.

2. Try to avoid the main busier roads if possible. Riding the less congested back roads affords a much more enjoyable and safer ride. Hopefully you live in an area of Pa. which gives you access to great scenic back roads.

Finally, with a great Spyder Trike, the proper safety equipment, and the proper mind set to develop defensive driving skills necessary to enjoy the roads in the open air, let me again congratulate you in wanting to be a Spyder Lover and Rider and you are in the right place to get the very best advice from the many great contributor's to this Forum as I did. You can count on these experts to help you enjoy your Spyder experience. Enjoy the Ride and be Safe!