Spyder Garage

Default Rough idle cuts off when hot and backfires

Hey random, but I have a 2008 spyder manual and after i ride for about a 30 or 45 min when it’s pretty hot it starts to shut down at red lights or low idle.......I’ve changed the vacuum hose, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, coils, wires from the plug to the coil, purge valve and canister......I’m out of options........bike is really hot stutter, misses, and backfires.....no codes have been shown. Ran seafoam in the fuel, ran non ethonal gas...still issues

Spyder Garage

you didn't mention anything about coolant level, is that ok.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Did not see a fuel filter change or an intake manifold inspection. Did you do a throttle body cleaning...?? You mention heat but are you talking about operating temperature or overheating...??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The coolant is full, the fuel filter has been changed, and it’s the temperature outside mixed with engine and exhaust I’m assuming .........checked the fuses and none are blown..........H/C meets is usually in the middle or 1 or 2 notches above the meter

Spyder Garage

My 09 with 12,000 miles does the same thing. The motor stutters when hot leaving stop lights. Also when backing down the driveway the motor will stutter. More than a few times it has stalled. K&N air filter, Bajaron plugs and wires, honda exhaust gaskets, silicone vacuum lines and fuel system cleaner. Have never changed the fuel filter, but from what I've read I don't think that is it. A plugged fuel filter will cause motor hesitation when getting on the throttle and I'm not seeing that. Going to try some B12 one more time, other than that I guess I just live with it.
    2009 RS , BajaRons MSD wires/iridium plugs Black/Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbizzle03 View Post
    Hey random, but I have a 2008 spyder manual and after i ride for about a 30 or 45 min when it’s pretty hot it starts to shut down at red lights or low idle.......I’ve changed the vacuum hose, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, coils, wires from the plug to the coil, purge valve and canister......I’m out of options........bike is really hot stutter, misses, and backfires.....no codes have been shown. Ran seafoam in the fuel, ran non ethonal gas...still issues
    I know this an old post, but I was having the same issues and tried everything you mentioned to remedy it. I came across a post on the SpyderLovers group on Facebook that solved my issue. The throttle body flanges on 08 and 09 models are prone to cracking and this causes rough idling, stuttering take offs, and running lean. Its an inexpensive fix. The picture posted is not the flange off my Spyder, but all the cracking is what mine looked like when I pulled them off. Throttle Body flanges.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jayallday01 View Post
    I know this an old post, but I was having the same issues and tried everything you mentioned to remedy it. I came across a post on the SpyderLovers group on Facebook that solved my issue. The throttle body flanges on 08 and 09 models are prone to cracking and this causes rough idling, stuttering take offs, and running lean. Its an inexpensive fix. The picture posted is not the flange off my Spyder, but all the cracking is what mine looked like when I pulled them off. Throttle Body flanges.jpg
    Where did you buy a replacement part from?