Spyder Garage

Default Finally pulled The Trigger.

Picked out a 2018 RT Limited dark leftover at Holzhauers in Nashville Illinois; real pretty dark grey. The dealership delivered with 1.6 miles on the clock. Got up a bit of nerve today and we took her for a spin (maybe two). 63 miles, may do another if the weather holds. Problem in the Great Mistake of Illinois is that one must take the prerequisite course, currently held only in the environs of Chicago, to get the 3-wheel license. We're scheduled for September. Right now, it kinda feels like a set of Baja Ron's swaybars may be in order...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Nice looking color. If you get a set of Ron's sway bars you're going to have one unusual Spyder. There's just one sway bar and a pair of Heim links plus two bushings.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum and on the new Spyder. Make sure and add a photo of your new ride to the Spyder Garage area of the forum.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Now, if you get rid of those crappy Kendas and put on some good tires, along with the BajaRon sway bar, you'll be amazed at how the Spyder handles.

Spyder Garage

Ha, shows what I know! I'll put the spare in the trunk, let it rattle around, use the noise to leverage the spouse for cash, sneak some neat stuff in...
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Not saying you shouldn't get a sway bar, but I would wait 1000-1500 miles before any major changes. That is about the time it takes to get the feels of the 3 wheels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post

Not saying not to get a sway bar, but I would wait 1000-1500 miles before any major changes. That is about the time it takes to get the feels of the 3 wheels
    I agree with MonPaul above. I'm also a brand new Spyder 2019 RTL owner and I thought I needed the stiffer sway bar. Now that I've got 600 miles on it, I'm starting to think the bar is unnecessary. The secret (I think) is to relax and loosen your grip on the handle bars and to lean into the curves like you would on a 2 wheel motorcycle. I'm gaining more confidence with each ride and I'm deliberately loosening my grip on the bars whenever I notice I'm stating to tense up. Hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What prerequisite course in Illinois??

I just got a regular motorcycle license (Class M).

So take the two wheel test and you have your license.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Welcome to the forum and on the new Spyder. Make sure and add a photo of your new ride to the Spyder Garage area of the forum.
    ……………... ……. I bought my 2104 RT there, got a GREAT price and drove it home to Vermont in two days …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What prerequisite course in Illinois??

I just got a regular motorcycle license (Class M).

So take the two wheel test and you have your license.
    Aye, there's the rub...no Class M in me wallet, and haven't ridden a two-wheeler in years. No sense of balance. That would be why I chose submarines, can't fall off.
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ……………... ……. I bought my 2104 RT there, got a GREAT price and drove it home to Vermont in two days …… Mike
    Yup, outstanding price...and close by. Saw your marker pin on the wall map and asked about it: "yeah, we sold one to a fellow up there." Mine was supposed to go to a couple from New Hampshire and had been taken off the market, but for some reason the deal had fallen through. Really hope that they found one.
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    I agree with MonPaul above. I'm also a brand new Spyder 2019 RTL owner and I thought I needed the stiffer sway bar. Now that I've got 600 miles on it, I'm starting to think the bar is unnecessary. The secret (I think) is to relax and loosen your grip on the handle bars and to lean into the curves like you would on a 2 wheel motorcycle. I'm gaining more confidence with each ride and I'm deliberately loosening my grip on the bars whenever I notice I'm stating to tense up. Hope this helps.
    Absolutely. Took a third jaunt, by the time we were heading back I felt much more comfortable, trying to keep the white outta me knuckles. Helps a lot with the 'tall and tippy' feeling, and the wanderlust. Thanks for the tip!
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSBN617 View Post
    Absolutely. Took a third jaunt, by the time we were heading back I felt much more comfortable, trying to keep the white outta me knuckles. Helps a lot with the 'tall and tippy' feeling, and the wanderlust. Thanks for the tip!
    I remember that feeling
    On two wheels you are always in the same plane. On the spyder you are spread across the lane and notice every crown and bank in the road. Having that "tippy" feeling doesn't exactly bring confidence but it does go away!

Spyder Garage

Hey, we were just there last month checking out the dealer, then Alton Illinois and one in St. Louis. Will you be taking the ride there for maintenance as well? They seemed the best dealer of the bunch so far to us. We are taking the training course next month and researching dealers and maintenance support. Nashville is only about a half hour ride, we might use them also when we buy. Keep us posted on your satisfaction with them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Breedog View Post
    Hey, we were just there last month checking out the dealer, then Alton Illinois and one in St. Louis. Will you be taking the ride there for maintenance as well? They seemed the best dealer of the bunch so far to us. We are taking the training course next month and researching dealers and maintenance support. Nashville is only about a half hour ride, we might use them also when we buy. Keep us posted on your satisfaction with them.
    Definitely plan on getting maintenance there, the only negative feedback I've seen was in regards to the $200 deposit...and that was one person who got a bunch of her friends involved. I've heard good things about their service department. We're pretty close, down in Benton.

Would you be taking the Harper College course?
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to both the spyder world and this most informative site... bummer you have to deal with the whole testing thing but guess you can sneak in some ryde now and again. Parking lot practice will help, they used to hand out a CD back when I got mine that gave some great suggestions. Enjoy the new ryde, the miles of smiles and the rock star pit stops....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, wife and I taking the SWIC course located in Belleville Illinois. It’s a two wheel course, only doing so because we couldn’t find a three wheel course and unlike other schools, they don’t have loaner can ams. Seems odd, you would think they would sponsor courses at these colleges like in other locations to get us hooked on a spyder.

We’ve shopped around and believe they are the best within an hour ride. We are planning on continuing the research, probably wait for 2020 announcements and maybe rent a few models before takin* the plunge. Maybe we can see you at a meet up and spyder ride next year?

Spyder Garage

They used to have a course at SIUC, was cancelled due to 'lack of interest'. We'll be going up to Palatine where they have loaners, for the princely sum of 20 bucks. Looking forward to a ride (can't bring myself to say ryde as of yet), also looking for an SI chapter...
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

I got my M on my license 40 years ago on my 1979 Trail 90. I took the written test and then the trooper told me the route to take and followed me on what was essentially around the block.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
    I got my M on my license 40 years ago on my 1979 Trail 90. I took the written test and then the trooper told me the route to take and followed me on what was essentially around the block.
    Ah, the good old Honda 90, big brother to the Nifty Shifty 50. Buddy of mine had one, I had a Bridgestone 90. Didn't fall off that one, it hardly ever ran. Probably saved me young and foolish life.
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSBN617 View Post
    They used to have a course at SIUC, was cancelled due to 'lack of interest'. We'll be going up to Palatine where they have loaners, for the princely sum of 20 bucks. Looking forward to a ride (can't bring myself to say ryde as of yet), also looking for an SI chapter...
    Well keep us posted, we are just out of Belleville so bet we are close to you. Will let you all know how the training and spyder shopping goes. I wonder if the dealer would install some of the things like running boards if we brought them and wanted them installed as part of the purchase? I still work and don’t have time or trust myself with installation with having a passenger. LEDs would be nice, but we’ll see. Congrats on your new spyder!

Spyder Garage

I took my test on a 1968 Trail 90 in 68. Great bike had some fun on it.

Spyder Garage

Hey, I got grandfathered in from when Indiana didn't have an MC driving test.��

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Breedog View Post
    Well keep us posted, we are just out of Belleville so bet we are close to you. Will let you all know how the training and spyder shopping goes. I wonder if the dealer would install some of the things like running boards if we brought them and wanted them installed as part of the purchase? I still work and don’t have time or trust myself with installation with having a passenger. LEDs would be nice, but we’ll see. Congrats on your new spyder!
    Thank you. The one thing I meant to inquire about was the rock guard for the belt...completely forgot when I saw the bike. Star struck, I guess.
    2018 RT , Dark grey