Thread: My latest mods

Spyder Garage

Default My latest mods

So, I replaced the Rally rear fender with the standard Ryker rear fender. Nice.
    After shelling out almost $300 for the passenger seat, I shocked my wife when I told her that the back rest was going to cost another $300. So, I decided to save some money and find an alternative. On Ebay there is a small motorcycle backrest that goes for about $42 with shipping. After putting it on my "watch" list, I was perusing the Youtube videos and found that a guy had used the exact same backrest on his. Only he said he mounted it on the Max Mount. I purchased one of them and found that it had 4 holes in the bracket for mounting and two of them almost lined up with the threaded holes on the bottom of the seat. I went to Ace hardware and picket up a couple of #8x32x 3/4inch screws that I managed to mount the seat to the two access spots. Since there were two more holes in the bracket on the bottom, I wondered how I might attach it to the seat and figured that any screws I put in the thin plastic bottom would probably stick in a passenger's posterior if I went over any bumps. The foam pad IS pretty flexible. So, instead I drilled two 3/16th inch holes and inserted two rivets. Oh, and I also inserted a washer between the bracket and the seat bottom due to the slight space. Since I had the rivet gun out for the fender install, I thought it would be ideal for this project. Now the seat rest is solidly mounted to the removable passenger seat. The seat still slides on and off with no trouble. Now, I need to fabricate a removable luggage rack that I can swap out for the passenger seat when I don't anticipate a passenger. That will be added to the list of things to do, along with painting and pin striping. I've added a couple of flip phone photos of what the fender and back rest looks like. Not good quality photography, but you can get an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

got a link for the seat back? ive been looking for alternatives to the can am one.

Spyder Garage

Don't know if this is allowed on here, but.........
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Black-R....c100005.m1851

If it doesn't work, just do a search for "motorcycle passenger back rest" and filter it by price low to high with shipping.

Spyder Garage

Ok, as much as I really like my Ryker Rally, I am VERY disappointed today. Not to bad mouth it but maybe someone will read this and realize a flaw that MUST be taken care of.

I have been taking panels off in prep of painting and it is driving me crazy. On the Rally, we have little quarter panel spoilers in the front that are silver. Three screws to take them off BUT they have loctite on them and a square nut in a hard to get to spot behind the panel. When you attempt to turn the screw, the whole thing turns and there is nothing to grab hold of when it comes to the square nut. It has a plastic piece supposedly holding it but it only breaks when you attempt to turn the screw. You cannot get a wrench on it because of the plastic and limited space. Anyway, it would not be bad if it was only one or two spots that were bad like that, but shoot I had get to the stone guard under the nose/radiator also. And now that it's off, how am I supposed to get it back on again after painting? I am thinking of riveting it or using the same rubber plugs that holds the rest of the body on. I am disgusted, but still intend to finish this so that I can enjoy some road time. Don't get me wrong, I still like my Ryker. I am just disappointed at how they put the plastic body parts together.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might put this thing back together so that it does not fall apart, other than what I mentioned above, I am all ears. I am thinking of using the rubber plugs that holds the rest of the panels OR some vivets.