Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Catastrophic failure

I replaced the front tires on my 2014 RT with 8704 miles on it. The bike developed a pronounced wobble at low speed. For a week I have been chasing this wobble. Rechecking the balance and riding it 10 miles to and fro to work. Tonight I replaced some weights I had removed yesterday. I then took it for a little 12 mile test ride. All went well until I started back. The wobble was back and worse. At 60 mph it suddenly got really bad and I got off of the gas. Suddenly stuff was flying everywhere. I saw large chunks of rubber in the rear view mirror. I pulled off the highway to asses the damage and the whole rear end "tupper ware" was destroyed. While I was looking at the mess of what was left of the rear tire, it blew up. I called home and my son and my wife came to the rescue. If Foremost decides to total it I have a lot of farkles to remove. Sad day in river city.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So it was the rear tire that failed? Why did you think it was the fronts? What model Spyder? Total miles? Rear tire brand?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    So it was the rear tire that failed? Why did you think it was the fronts? What model Spyder? Total miles? Rear tire brand?
    The fronts were the only thing that had changed.
    Model 2014 RT SE6
    Total miles are 8704
    Rear tire was OEM Kenda. I have the replacement tire in my shop and was going to replace it this coming Saturday. The OEM rear tire looked OK when I examined it when I was changing the fronts. It was just down to the wear bars and did need replacing.

The rear tire suddenly decided to go bad and it coincided with my front tire replacement. The symptoms felt like the fronts were out of balance. It never occurred to me that the rear was failing. I had just come home from a 160 mile trip and everything was nice and smooth. I was even toying with the Idea of removing the New tires one at a time and remounting the Kendas one at a time to see if I had a defective Vredestein.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
    ....... I pulled off the highway to asses the damage and the whole rear end "tupper ware" was destroyed. While I was looking at the mess what was left of the rear tire blew up.......

That is NOT good! Glad you're safe tho, it coulda been a whole lot worse than just loosing the tupperware!!

Do you have any pics of the damage or what's left of the tire??!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Unlikely they will total it. You might consider not detailing the story about experimenting with balance weights or that a new tire is waiting in the garage.

Get a quote from the dealer for parts and repairs. Let the dealer contend with the insurance company.

Hope you have a good local dealer to work with and will come pickup the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Thanks PMK. I'll take your suggestion to heart. My dealer is 156 miles away (187.2 KM) away. But since I grew up in south Texas where it is 50 miles in any direction for a drink of water, the trip to the dealer is no big thing. The RT is already on the trailer so I may take off tomorrow after I have talked to the adjuster.

" Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " , I said to myself..........

Here is a photo of the disaster area;
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Glad to hear you fared well and made it out unscathed... 2014 is when Kenda changed the compound and the tires did not work well. Mostly they just wore out really fast.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Whoaaah !! Not a good sight to see. The original stock Kenda huh
    Glad you were only 12 miles from home, and you're ok.

Spyder Garage

Bloody 'ell !!

Mind you, it'll probably buff out...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Man that's looks bad. I would say that entire rear end luggage area need to be replaced.

Hard to say what other inner damage there could be??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire failure

Glad to here you survived OK …. If I said KENDA tires are poorly / weakly made once - I've said it a thousand times. ….. That should NOT happen on tire made today - Period ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Guessing BRP does not like seeing these photos circulating the internet...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Glad to here you survived OK …. If I said KENDA tires are poorly / weakly made once - I've said it a thousand times. ….. That should NOT happen on tire made today - Period ….. Mike
    Mike, I don't remember any other reports of Kenda rears failing catastrophically, do you? I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the tire, rather than the mileage?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fronts were the only thing that had changed.
    Model 2014 RT SE6
    Total miles are 8704
    Rear tire was OEM Kenda. I have the replacement tire in my shop and was going to replace it this coming Saturday. The OEM rear tire looked OK when I examined it when I was changing the fronts. It was just down to the wear bars and did need replacing.

The rear tire suddenly decided to go bad and it coincided with my front tire replacement. The symptoms felt like the fronts were out of balance. It never occurred to me that the rear was failing. I had just come home from a 160 mile trip and everything was nice and smooth. I was even toying with the Idea of removing the New tires one at a time and remounting the Kendas one at a time to see if I had a defective Vredestein.
    Would you mind providing more information about your riding habits and tire maintenance habits? How often did you check the pressure and what pressure did you maintain on the rear?

And why did you feel the need to replace your fronts at such a low mileage? They normally go at least 20k.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Mike, I don't remember any other reports of Kenda rears failing catastrophically, do you? I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the tire, rather than the mileage?
    ….. There's a lot of info we aren't getting ….. from the pics it appears that tire was very worn - not un-common for a Kenda ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't find any age or mileage from the OP ….. There's a lot of info we aren't getting ….. from the pics it appears that tire was very worn - not un-common for a Kenda ….. Mike
    He said it's a 2014 with 8700 miles. So, it's at least 5 years old, right?

Maybe not garaged, so lots of sun damage. Hot roads and maybe dirt roads?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looks bad, easy fix. When the tire is at the wear bars, change it! Err on early! We have changed out early lots of times, mostly to prevent this exact problem! Of course, add a couple of zeros to how far from home we will be!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Looks bad, easy fix. When the tire is at the wear bars, change it! Err on early! We have changed out early lots of times, mostly to prevent this exact problem! Of course, add a couple of zeros to how far from home we will be!!
    Only make that ESPECIALLY so if you are still running OE spec Kendas!!

IMO they are pretty poor excuses for tires; and being as lightly constructed as they are, plus the seeming 'lack of manufacturing quality oversight', it's pretty much a crapshoot re getting good Kenda tires on your Spyder!! The only thing that really stands out about them to me is that this sort of thing hasn't happened waaay more often!?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

He said it's a 2014 with 8700 miles. So, it's at least 5 years old, right?

Maybe not garaged, so lots of sun damage. Hot roads and maybe dirt roads?

Still shouldn't happen. After all the load is rather light.

Peter A - agreed indeed.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Glad to hear you fared well and made it out unscathed... 2014 is when Kenda changed the compound and the tires did not work well. Mostly they just wore out really fast.
    So, are newer Kendas even worse than pre-2014 or have issues been corrected? Will need to replace my tire later this month.

Regarding the OP, would be curious to know the tire pressure too. Pretty bad failure.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    So, are newer Kendas even worse than pre-2014 or have issues been corrected? Will need to replace my tire later this month.

Regarding the OP, would be curious to know the tire pressure too. Pretty bad failure.
    The change that Kenda did, was in the make-up of the tread compound ……I believe they are still using the same casing.... a WEAK one …… jmho … Mike

Spyder Garage

Would you mind providing more information about your riding habits and tire maintenance habits? How often did you check the pressure and what pressure did you maintain on the rear?

And why did you feel the need to replace your fronts at such a low mileage? They normally go at least 20k.
    I am 81 so my hooligan days are behind me. Nanny has never scolded me in the twisties. I always ride the speed limit or less because my ever vigilant passenger can see the large numbers on the speedo from her perch. The fronts were changed because the left tire had sidewall damage from a time I was loading it on my trailer. I don't ride the dirt road from my house to the highway when it rains. I check the tire pressures every time I go on a trip and about once a week when ridden daily. 18 to 20 in the front and 23 to 28 in the rear depending on the load. Just before (hours) I went out that fateful day I had checked it at 23. As far as I am concerned, I have never ridden it with less than 23 # in the rear. The vehicle has always been kept, by me, in an enclosed space. I don't know if the extended warranty that I inherited from the previous owner, which expires in 2020 would matter in this case. I have owned it since July 2016.

BTW. Last Saturday I made wheel guides for the trailer so the front tires would never be damaged again. At least this made recovery after the incident, in the dark, a piece of cake.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am 81 so my hooligan days are behind me. Nanny has never scolded me in the twisties. I always ride the speed limit or less because my ever vigilant passenger can see the large numbers on the speedo from her perch. The fronts were changed because the left tire had sidewall damage from a time I was loading it on my trailer. I don't ride the dirt road from my house to the highway when it rains. I check the tire pressures every time I go on a trip and about once a week when ridden daily. 18 to 20 in the front and 23 to 28 in the rear depending on the load. Just before (hours) I went out that fateful day I had checked it at 23. As far as I am concerned, I have never ridden it with less than 23 # in the rear. The vehicle has always been kept, by me, in an enclosed space. I don't know if the extended warranty that I inherited from the previous owner, which expires in 2020 would matter in this case. I have owned it since July 2016.

BTW. Last Saturday I made wheel guides for the trailer so the front tires would never be damaged again. At least this made recovery after the incident, in the dark, a piece of cake.
    Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

23# seems a little low for the rear kenda. Mike, what do you think?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

23# seems a little low for the rear kenda. Mike, what do you think?
    If you are mostly concerned with tire life 28 would fine ….. Because of the weak carcass I think 23 lbs. is low ….. The rear Kenda's have been tried at various PSI's from 25 to 35 lbs. , nothing seems to change the mileage …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are mostly concerned with tire life 28 would fine ….. Because of the weak carcass I think 23 lbs. is low ….. The rear Kenda's have been tried at various PSI's from 25 to 35 lbs. , nothing seems to change the mileage …… Mike
    I was thinking more along the lines of what might have caused the catastrophic failure
    2014 RTL Platinum