Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Coping with limp mode

This topic may be peculiar to 990 models but we’re wondering if it may work on 1330’s as well.

I downloaded the Spyder Do’s and Dont’s thread started by ARtraveller some time ago and gave a copy to my wife to read before she goes anywhere on her new 2020 RT limited. I thought she ought to have a refresher since it has been several years since she drove her 990 RTSE.

After reading it throughly, Penny commented that there is no mention of how to reset the Spyder after experiencing a limp mode. Penny’s 2012 RT limited had a nasty habit of going into limp mode at the worst possible time. Usually on a trip where no dealers were in the area and we were out of cell phone range.

She found that shutting the bike down and leaving it sit for 45-50 minutes and then restarting would often get it out of limp mode. The key was to remove the key and position it at least 100 yards from the Spyder. Apparently there is a computer chip in the key that can “see” the bike unless it is far away.

This worked several times for us with the 2012 models and we wonder if this method still applies to the 1330 models. I thought of adding this to the Do’s and Dont’s list but thought I would check things out with this post. Does it still work?

Pennyrick
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 03-14-2020 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Add item
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)