Spyder Garage

Default Installed Baja Ron swaybar

After riding my F3 for a few years now, I finally decided to update to a better sway bar from Baja Ron. The install wasn't to difficult after I figured out how to raise the front end to be able to do the job. I tend to think out of the box to come up with ideas and sometimes the tools and items I have around the house just tend to work for me without making some expensive purchase for a one time job. I tried lifting the spyder with the lift jack I had to lift the spyder up and add jack stands under the A arms but that was kind of hoaky and the spyder wasn't up high enough. I needed at least 22 to 24 inches of clearance to be able to remove the old sway bar and add the new one. Then I got to thinking. I had a new set of Tri-fold snowmobile ramps for my truck to load up a snowmobile. I took apart the center section of the ramp assembly and used the outside ramps for the spyder front wheels. I used my pickup truck tailgate as the lift bed. I needed something a little wider than the tailgate to hold the ramps out far enough to accommodate the width of the F3. I had a steel piece of sign post that I had kicking around and used it as a support beam for the ramps and this worked out well. I secured the ramps to the truck and put some jack stands under the aluminum ramps to help hold the weight of the spyder. I then started my spyder drove up onto the ramps with ease. I had plenty of clearance under the ramps to be able to remove the old sway bar and add the new one. With the center section of the ramps removed it also allowed me the space that I needed to work on the spyder. All this cost me was some time. It worked out very well!

DSC00602.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thinking about a new swaybar. I have that same ramp and I have a truck and a post. Thanks for the idea.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good job! That is exactly what I have planned for doing the sway bar on my F3T. Nice to see that someone else actually did it and things worked out. I hope to do mine before the spyder rally in Maggie Valley this October.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

That's a great way to do it. I thought of that technique myself because it makes a very stable work platform. Unfortunately, my S10 pick-up didn't have the necessary height. I asked around and found that one of my friends has a Pitbull lift. Who knew? Using the Pitbull scared me a bit as the Spyder has a pretty narrow lift area. I lifted it a short distance to unfasten and bolt it all back together and only used the full extension to pull the bar in and out. It worked but the work beneath the bike is hard since there is so little ground clearance.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Default Way to go....!!

Though not the first you did come up with the idea on your own and your thinking outside the box is working well for you.... Now that you got it all done you need to let us know how the F3 feels going down the road and into the twisties....congrats on a well laid plan...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Though not the first you did come up with the idea on your own and your thinking outside the box is working well for you.... Now that you got it all done you need to let us know how the F3 feels going down the road and into the twisties....congrats on a well laid plan...
    Thanks! I didn't get much of a chance to ride a lot since I replaced the OEM sway bar out for the Baja Ron bar. However I did get a chance to ride a short distance later yesterday, and I can already feel a difference in the stability of the F3 around the turns and dips in the road. I felt that I had better control for sure. I hope to get in a longer ride through more twisties to get a more accurate report. So far I'm happy that I made the switch.

Spyder Garage

I used the same trifold ramp to install they new skid plate works great.........