Spyder Garage

Default Gearing differences between F3-L and F3-S ?

Hey all,
    First time poster, but been lurking/reading awhile. I'm considering (strongly) venturing into Spyder ownership but have some model questions. I'm not new to Spyders, as I actually sold them (and rode them) a couple years from 2013-2015. I currently ride a H-D FLHT and Triumph 800 Tiger XCx. I'm trying to decide between a F3-S and F3-L. I'll likely be a 95% solo rider, with full luggage likely being used only a couple/few weeks of the year. I'm looking at brand new, left over 2018 models and likely a SE6 transmission on the S. The price diff between the two is around $4k. To the S model I'd add the Givi luggage kit, Baker rear rack and use an existing Givi 56L top case. I'd also add a windshield and heated grips. Not concerned about tunes as both my modular and 3/4 helmets have comm/bluetooth added. I do like the self leveling rear suspension of the Limited tho. Now, after being long winded, is my question regarding gearing. Does the Limited have taller gearing due to pulley/transmission ratios versus the Sport model ? If so, is it dramatic ? Curious as the S will be used for a couple long trips a year, with plenty of miles being on 70-80 mph interstates. Thanks for any input . troop
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I've got both. A 2015 F3-S and a 2017 F3-L. They are geared differently.

In 6th gear @60mph the S is running at ~3400 rpms. At the same speed, the L is turning ~3050. Seems to be about 1 gear difference between the two in the higher gears. Very noticeable when doing downshifts for curves and corners... The S is my "hotrod" while the L is more of a cruiser. Somewhat surprisingly, the mpg difference is less than 1....mostly due to weight difference, I suspect...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I was curious about the mpg difference, and I suspect you're right about the weight factor. I want both abilities to be sporty (80%) and long distance capable (20%). Cruise control is required, hence the the S version.

Spyder Garage

Ditto on the same MPG for the F3 with the 12% bigger Sprocket to the RT - we get the same mileage on the 16F3T as the 15 RT... also the wind drag is less on the F3 which helps depending on what windshield you run... the wife has the F-4 and I usually keep the windshield halfway down with a cut-down 23" windshield. We both fuel around 180-200 miles unless we're into a headwind or on the interstate.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Say, at 75 mph, do you notice an increase in vibration feeling in pegs/grips between the two? If I were to get the S, I'd likely get a Madstad system with both a taller clear (touring) and short as possible dark smoke for everyday use.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInMn View Post
    I've got both. A 2015 F3-S and a 2017 F3-L. They are geared differently.

In 6th gear @60mph the S is running at ~3400 rpms. At the same speed, the L is turning ~3050. Seems to be about 1 gear difference between the two in the higher gears. Very noticeable when doing downshifts for curves and corners... The S is my "hotrod" while the L is more of a cruiser. Somewhat surprisingly, the mpg difference is less than 1....mostly due to weight difference, I suspect...
    My '17 F3 base model @ 60 mph is turning 3000 rpm's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Hey all,
    First time poster, but been lurking/reading awhile. I'm considering (strongly) venturing into Spyder ownership but have some model questions. I'm not new to Spyders, as I actually sold them (and rode them) a couple years from 2013-2015. I currently ride a H-D FLHT and Triumph 800 Tiger XCx. I'm trying to decide between a F3-S and F3-L. I'll likely be a 95% solo rider, with full luggage likely being used only a couple/few weeks of the year. I'm looking at brand new, left over 2018 models and likely a SE6 transmission on the S. The price diff between the two is around $4k. To the S model I'd add the Givi luggage kit, Baker rear rack and use an existing Givi 56L top case. I'd also add a windshield and heated grips. Not concerned about tunes as both my modular and 3/4 helmets have comm/bluetooth added. I do like the self leveling rear suspension of the Limited tho. Now, after being long winded, is my question regarding gearing. Does the Limited have taller gearing due to pulley/transmission ratios versus the Sport model ? If so, is it dramatic ? Curious as the S will be used for a couple long trips a year, with plenty of miles being on 70-80 mph interstates. Thanks for any input . troop

The F3S you need to add a stiffer rear spring/shock, windshield, bags etc.
    On F3T you just need to add a rear MBL rack mount, a V56 Givi topcase & ryde!
    (I stand corrected, 2019 F3T has same 79 tooth belt drive sprocket as RT, F3L, F3 base Spyder model).
    (I would buy a 2019 F3T & only add MBL rack mount, a V56 Givi topcase, maybe a larger shield from CalSci).

Spyder Garage

It'd still be between the Limited or S. Figure the extra coin would be worth it for the detachable tour case, floor boards, auto suspension, heated grips and taller gearing. Gonna go take a look at a few on Thursday. The price differences between the 2018's/2019's really not that huge when considering the reduced price in 2019. Still leaning towards the S as I'll ride it bare bones the majority of the time. Jeff

Spyder Garage

Can a F3L change to the larger 89 tooth without any other mods?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The2016-17 F3T have the larger rear sprocket, on the
    2018-19 the F3T/ Ltd have the same sprocket then the RT
    The only on still have the large sprocket it’s the F3S
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Can a F3L change to the larger 89 tooth without any other mods?
    Yes I'm pretty sure you can...all you have to do is...change the sprocket...belt...you may or may not have to Upgrade the buds settings..I know you can't do it on the RT..it's been tried the F-3 yes.