RT-S PE#639
    Spyder Garage

Default Troubling getting tank full

Did a search but didn't really find anything on this. I have had my Spyder for over a year and was able to get the fuel tank totally full and have the fuel gauge reading right to the little pyramid dot at the top. Now I can't get the tank full no matter how slow I fill it and cannot get the top 1/2 bar on the fuel gauge. Have I possibly clogged up the Vapor Canister or purge valve? When refueling I go as slow as possible and keep squeezing more in but, the level keeps going down, even when trying to fill slowly from a jerry can. When you check later after the bike has sat for a while the fuel level is still an inch or 2 below the fill tube. Any help appreciated.

2008 Full Moon Spyder and 2010 RT-S SE5 PE 0639 with RT-622 trailer in timeless black.
    Everyone home safe - every time

Spyder Garage

Default I cannot help, but . . .

. . . I have just the opposite experience.

In the past, I could only get about 3.5 (US) gallons in my tank. (2008 SE, 3k miles ). I never saw the top little triangle of the gauge darken.

Now, for the last 3 fill-ups, I have been putting in anywhere from 4.5 to 5 gallons and the top triangle is dark.

I have been doing nothing different and yes, I do watch my re-fueling very carefully.

It is a mystery.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also have the problem of not getting the tank full. I curse everytime I have to go to the gas station because it takes so long. Like you I thought the trick to getting the last half bar was to go slowly but it doesn't work for me. Not sure what else to try.

Spyder Garage

Same thing here but it has only been the last few fill ups, only 3500kms.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Spyder Garage

I wasn't going to post here because I just don't have this problem. But it seems that more than 1 person is experiencing fuel tank filling issues and I just don't have a clue as to what would cause that.

I always top mine off as much as I can. I just don't like running out and I figure the time to take care of that is when I'm at the pump.

Some riders fill till it clicks off and quit. To each his own.

On my trip to CA and back I had plenty of time to look for things to occupy my mind on long, straight, I-40. I found that I averaged about 20 miles before I lost my little triangle fill block at the top (I know, I need to get a life).

Some people have never seen that little bugger at the top of the gauge so there is quite a bit of variation depending on your filling style.

Sorry you guys are having so much trouble. There are some nozzles that just won't pump slow enough to top off without blasting fuel everywhere. I'm pretty good at getting a slow fill at the end but sometimes, it just can't be done. But this has nothing to do with the Spyder tank so I'm stumpped.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Well for me I get about half way and it stops. I pull the nozel almost all the way out and go slow, it doesn't take much and its almost spilling over. I wait a few seconds and it goes down a little and start it all over again. It takes quite a while and finally I give up with an almost full tank.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Spyder Garage

Default Bad Gas Mileage so far.

I have a '09 SE5 with 780 miles, I know that it's still braking in, I do mostly in town stop and go. I have no problem topping off., but when I have one bar left and the gas light is on I"m right at 100 miles. (not good, I think?) I ran out of gas one day 50 feet from the pump (lucky) that day I had 160 miles on the trip meter. The book said that the tank holds 6.6 gallons..that day I topped off at 6.11 (bone Dry) Now I wait until the gas light comes on...Not taking any chances...what say you??

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

Default Special problems for>>>>>

>>>>>> those people living where the pump nozzle bellows forces one to keep it stuck all the way in the tank. In the past I have seen a device sold that will hold the bellows compressed but you still have to take it slow to really top it off. Never needed one around where I have ridden, left Californica before they were required, so don't know if you can get them at bike shops or just mail order.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcguire1511 View Post
    I have a '09 SE5 with 780 miles, I know that it's still braking in, I do mostly in town stop and go. I have no problem topping off., but when I have one bar left and the gas light is on I"m right at 100 miles. (not good, I think?) I ran out of gas one day 50 feet from the pump (lucky) that day I had 160 miles on the trip meter. The book said that the tank holds 6.6 gallons..that day I topped off at 6.11 (bone Dry) Now I wait until the gas light comes on...Not taking any chances...what say you??
    A lot depends on how full you're getting your tank. But 1 bar at 100 miles seems a bit low. I'm usually at 150~160 at 1 bar. But I really top my tank off.

I think the most I've ever gotten in the tank was 6.5 gal. And I had no bars showing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shunkmanitu View Post
    >>>>>> those people living where the pump nozzle bellows forces one to keep it stuck all the way in the tank. In the past I have seen a device sold that will hold the bellows compressed but you still have to take it slow to really top it off. Never needed one around where I have ridden, left Californica before they were required, so don't know if you can get them at bike shops or just mail order.
    The California vapor recovery bellows are a pain on a MC but not that big a deal. Squeeze the nozzle lever with your right hand (right handed people) and retract the bellows with your left hand.

Doing it this way it works pretty much like any other nozzle. Of course you are defeating the whole reason for the bellows but hey! just look at it as your service to humanity!

Sticking the nozzle in far enough to make the bellows system work as designed won't get you much past 1/2 tank on a motorcycle.

Having the bellows up against your paint on a standard MC tank is not my idea of a good thing.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-21-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

I put the nozzle in about 1" and let it fill on the slow setting until it shuts off on its own. I never attempt to add more. Many that add more after the auto-shutoff have had problems with gas in the canister and gas smell.

Not worth the risk to me to get that extra tip at the top. Filling it up as I do I always get the top bar - and sometimes the tip too. I never let the tank get under 2 bars before filling up.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I fill up until the gas starts spitting out the filler holes.
    I then burp it... and put more in..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I put the nozzle in about 1" and let it fill on the slow setting until it shuts off on its own. I never attempt to add more. Many that add more after the auto-shutoff have had problems with gas in the canister and gas smell.

Not worth the risk to me to get that extra tip at the top. Filling it up as I do I always get the top bar - and sometimes the tip too. I never let the tank get under 2 bars before filling up.
    Everyone does it a bit different. It's your ride and you should do it your way.

When we do a group ride I'm usualy at 3 or 4 bars while others are worried about running out. I like my way better, they like their way better.

I fill to the hilt with never a problem. With any MC recovery system that puts the vapor tank in a heated environment right under your nose you're going to get a whiff of fuel smell every so often no matter what you do.

If you ride fast enough you'll never notice anything but fresh air blowing in your face.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    I fill up until the gas starts spitting out the filler holes.
    I then burp it... and put more in..

YEAH! My kind of Environmental Terrorist! I love it!

Spyder Garage

I pretty much do it the same way. But, as soon as gas spits through the two slots I stop. I always get the triangle at the top showing.

Spyder Garage

I'm more concerned about the fires than I am the gas fumes. Those shut-offs are there for a reason. You need to leave room for the gas to expand. If I fill my lawn tractor too high and then start it----- gas will come out of the vents.

Spyder Garage

I'm more concerned about the fires than I am the gas fumes. Those shut-offs are there for a reason. You need to leave room for the gas to expand. If I fill my lawn tractor too high and then start it----- gas will come out of the vents.
    The auto shut-offs are there for a reason. Their design is based on the bulk of the vehicles that they are used for (cars/trucks with large fuel tanks - not motorcycles) plus an extra safety margin added.

Many people share your approach and that's fine.

All I'm saying is I've been topping my Spyder off ever since day 1, I'm getting close to 14000 miles and it has not been a problem.

I honestly think the fire problem is unrelated to how full you get your fuel tank. But the jury is still out on that issue and everyone has their own ideas as to what is causing the fires. Then again, I think the total fire problem is 3 in 10,000 so far. No fire is a good thing but neither is it an epidemic.

Matter of fact, I think two of the three Spyder owners that had fires specifically stated that they never topped off their fuel tanks.