Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    True story.
    Years ago I was bicycling on a country road with some friends. As we passed a house, a boy and a dog charged out the front door. The boy yelled something to the effect of, "Go get 'em, Spot!" The (scary) dog flew out towards us.... and was flattened by a car. We rode on, leaving the boy standing there.
    (3) of us residences lived on a country, dead end, dirt road. Me in the middle. Neighbors between me and the HWY had a pit bull that would run beside and the pull in behind me no matter what I was driving. Neighbors seemed to encourage him and did nothing about it. Pulling the boat to the lake one day, dog comes out, runs beside, and goes to pull in behind. Trailer tires runs over him. He is laying in the road bleeding heavy out of his mouth, convulsing, and pretty battered up. Neighbors were not home. Went to my vehicle and got the 44 and put him out of his misery. Neighbors didn't talk to me for years. They thought I should have taken him to the vet, 30min away. Later, not sure they would have paid me back, as they also thought it was my fault he got run over.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I'd avoid the hornet spray in favor of pepper. The poison in the hornet spray may do more damage than you intend.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

2Dogs...SIR.....The trailer park dog was just ONE of aprox. 5 that have damn near bit me! Ive been by there 15 times and never had a problem. OK....As Ive already said.....I called the sheriffs dept. about one.They did not even call me back!I just dont go down that road anymore.....It is a pit bull at a double wide with a sofa and an old washing machine on the front porch.AND A jesus/trump sign in the yard.Im sure they would welcome me tellin em to put it up. I feel like a new born impalla on the african plains bein chaised by hyenas out there! I cant risk tryin to dodge or outrun em anymore. I have every right to protect myself on a public road. IF I have to shoot one.Ima kill it just drive away. I can not afford to wait till the damn beast has hurt me! AND....From my experences with the human animal.....Just try to tell one of em to keep their dog up n see how that goes over. TY For the input.

Spyder Garage

Several products on the market with Citronella Spray, stops the dogs in their tracks but won't bother you if to get some.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Just FYI......... I have had some experience with dogs that run loose killing livestock and fighting with my herd dogs. You can just about bet that anybody who lets the dogs run loose and chase vehicles, does not have the proper vaccinations for them. Failure to produce a current rabies vaccination paper if the dogs bites someone or injures some other dog, is a serious matter. The animal control will go after that dog and put it in quarantine. The owner of the dog will also be in a world of hurt.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

"Bear" spray is also available. Used in Alaska and does deter angry bears. I'm sure it would deter an angry dog too. Should be minimal if any repercussions from local pd.

Spyder Garage

I was being facetious about actually shooting... it could cause trouble if you do and are identified. However, the threat of that might make the law enforcement people take note that there is a real problem on that road caused by a nuisance, unrestrained animal. It might force them to look your way and actually respond, and not leave the phone complaint sit without response. You can tell them it is not your job to do anything, but it IS their job when public safety is involved in their jurisdiction. Chances are the animals in that setting are not given proper shots / vet care. I don't envy you being held hostage on the road by angry and loose dogs.

Spyder Garage

How bout going to the shelter and picking up a cat and keep it in a bag. Just throw it out like the stuff they use to head off homing missiles.

Just joking of course.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Tell the police (or animal control)... "I'm going to shoot that dog if it comes at me again." See if that gets them to do something about it. If not... um... shoot it Or, maybe not. Sorry for the canine capers by you.
    I had an experience with such a dog, real vicious critter, when training for a cross-country bicycle trip. I confronted the owner, told him if the dog came after me again I would shoot it. I then called county animal control and told them exactly what I told the owner. The county told me they would make a "wellness visit" to the owner. The dog disappeared.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I'd avoid the hornet spray in favor of pepper. The poison in the hornet spray may do more damage than you intend.
    Even ordinary pepper spray can blind a dog (or a human) if not washed out of the eyes promptly. If the dog can't see to get home and/or the owners don't figure out what you did... the dog could be blinded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    How bout going to the shelter and picking up a cat and keep it in a bag. Just throw it out like the stuff they use to head off homing missiles.

Just joking of course.
    Chaff & flares.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Even ordinary pepper spray can blind a dog (or a human) if not washed out of the eyes promptly. If the dog can't see to get home and/or the owners don't figure out what you did... the dog could be blinded.
    So spray the owner instead of the dog. The dog probably doesn't know any better. The owner should.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I found years ago the best thing to do is, first, wear boots for your foot's safety. Then, as soon as the dog comes out after you, stop. Dogs chase moving objects, not stationary ones. The dog will stop, but of course start the chase again as soon as you start. So you stop again. After several repeats of this move, stop, move, stop, the dog will get tired of the game and go home. By doing this you deprive the dog of the excitement of the chase.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    2Dogs...SIR.....The trailer park dog was just ONE of aprox. 5 that have damn near bit me! Ive been by there 15 times and never had a problem. OK....As Ive already said.....I called the sheriffs dept. about one.They did not even call me back!I just dont go down that road anymore.....It is a pit bull at a double wide with a sofa and an old washing machine on the front porch.AND A jesus/trump sign in the yard.Im sure they would welcome me tellin em to put it up. I feel like a new born impalla on the african plains bein chaised by hyenas out there! I cant risk tryin to dodge or outrun em anymore. I have every right to protect myself on a public road. IF I have to shoot one.Ima kill it just drive away. I can not afford to wait till the damn beast has hurt me! AND....From my experences with the human animal.....Just try to tell one of em to keep their dog up n see how that goes over. TY For the input.
    All I can tell you now is to choose your options wisely. Wish you best of luck with the matter.

Spyder Garage

What ever happened to the old "slow down, then speed up" routine? Throws the dog off-speed. I have whippets and greyhounds, which can top out at 33 mph. Not saying it isn't scary when any dog takes up the chase, but I can't imagine any dog running faster than a moving bike, unless you're still in first gear.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    What ever happened to the old "slow down, then speed up" routine? Throws the dog off-speed. I have whippets and greyhounds, which can top out at 33 mph. Not saying it isn't scary when any dog takes up the chase, but I can't imagine any dog running faster than a moving bike, unless you're still in first gear.
    This is actually good advice, the dog will change the intercept angle based on the slower speed and won't be able to react quickly enough to the increase in speed. But on the flipside, who wants to have this as part of their ride prep everyday?!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

"Eddie's my training partner."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Many years ago I had the same problem. Always wore engineer boots when riding. I applied boot to snout of offending dog. He went yelping down the road.
    much safer, effective and humane. Don't take your hands off the handlebars or your eyes off the road
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    We keep a can of hornet spray in each bedroom and hidden close to each door in my daughter's apartment. Have firearms also, but would rather use hornets spray than risk something passing through walls into neighboring apartments. Proven to be a good alternative, intruder disabler.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black