Thread: tools

Spyder Garage

Default tools

What not normal tools, not in tool bag, should I have for riding, lime 12mm for emer. brake?

Also what not normal tools are needed for home shop, like 24mm socket for oil filter or 38mm for rear axel?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

36mm filter and axle

Depending on what Spyder you have???

Spyder Garage

2017 F3T simi auto

Spyder Garage

I agree with trikermutha. You need a 36 mm socket to remove the oil filter cap and rear axle nuts for an RT with the 1330 ACE engine, i.e., 2014 and newer MY. Are you really planning on changing the oil while on the road? If you plan to carry a 36 mm socket you should have a 1/2" drive ratchet and short extension. If you are planning on removing the rear wheel on the road you are substantially increasing the tool requirement. Ergo, depends on what you want to be prepared to do on the road.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

This was a discussion on the Ryker forum, oddball sockets (like the Ryker axle nut) or tools might be worth carrying along as a tire shop will probably have a 1/2" drive - but not that monster socket.

Spyder Garage

AAA Plus, or other roadside / towing plan. Sets of torx and allen wrenches. 36 mm combo wrench for right side axle nut. 36 mm combo or socket and cheater bar for left side axle nut. A bike lift and jack stands. Folding wheel chocks, HF has 'em and carry 'em in your bike in case of P brake failure. Drive up ramps for the front wheels are nice to have.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome