Spyder Garage

Default My visit to SpyderPops in Pearcy Arkansas

So I rode over to the SpyderPops shop in Pearcy Arkansas to get some work done. It was an 857 mile round trip with a lot of rain. My reason for going was to get a ROLO laser alignment and Baja Ron swaybar.

First off, I must warn the unsuspecting about Mr. Harvey's shop! Don't look too much, you could easily drop a bunch of money on all the cool stuff in there. I had to resist the urge to immediately upgrade my brake lights to the strobe LED's he offers.

Anyway, back to the shop. Mr. Harvey is an extremely courteous and gracious host, even when a knot-head like me is bombarding him with questions. His shop is immaculate, and every one of the employees I met and talked to were gracious and knowledgeable. Impressive. Wish my dealer was like this. In fact, he pointed out that my dealer prep guy (the one that your life is riding on) had failed to install the lower rear shock spacers. I had noticed the steel sleeve that goes over the bolt had a rubber band on it, but didn't have enough knowledge at that time to realize something was missing.

I rolled my bike in at 08:30, and even with me slowing things down jawboning I rolled out at just after lunch (I was scheduled, not just a walk in). Once again, impressive! I added a missing belt guard to the bike because I walked around looking too much.

The trip and additions were well worth the ride. As to the alignment and swaybar together I can say this. I drove the RTL in there handling and riding like a 1970's luxury car, all big and squishy, but competent nonetheless, and drove out in a 2010's model sports sedan. I like to install my mods one at a time so I can quantify each improvement, but did both of these because time and distance. I had learned to ride the pre-alignment/sway bar 2018 Spyder RTL comfortably, but it was like herding cats. It wallowed and the rear tire caused the Spyder to change direction depending on the road ruts. With both new mods complete, the thing runs like a slot car on the track. Getting rid of the Kenda's settled down the darting, but these 2 upgrades take it to a whole new level of stability, all without sacrificing comfort. The swaybar adds a little firmness to the front, but not in a bad way. Still very compliant and comfortable. But the turning ability after the bar is amazing.

I'm not too technical on alignment, but Mr. Harvey said mine, while being even on both sides, didn't have enough toe in to stop it from going to toe out at times, causing the wandering. I'll say he knows his stuff. This adjustment makes the bike track much truer over ruts and bumps. He also zeroed the steering torque and position sensors (not sure if I'm saying that right). My bike always favored the right, now it's almost hands off depending on the crown. This makes a big difference.

I'm now firmly in the "get the alignment and sway bar" camp. I think Baja Ron said to ride your stock Spyder until you're used to it, then try one out that has been set up with the sway bar and alignment. Amazing how different the bike feels. I'm a cruiser, not a racer, so I really don't think I can use all the potential of the sway bar addition, but I think it helps the alignment to keep the rear end from causing the front end to wander. For that alone, I give it a thumbs up.

I even got the shirt.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Great report.

If only we could clone the good ones!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Boy ain't that the truth. Cherish and respect the good ones, they're few and far between!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Very good report. Glad to hear of another great servicing experience.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops is one of a very few people that i will allow to work on my Spyder, Lamonster is another one.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

A big +1 on all the above.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

What a great read that was - many thanks. The best description of the improvement a sway bar and alignment make. Now I'm wishing Mr. Harvey had a branch here in Portland.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome