Spyder Garage

Cool Observations F3-S vs the ST-S

So I have 500 miles on the my new 2018 F3-S (having switched from a 2014 ST-S) and I have a few observations. These are my perceptions, I am a paraplegic so my experience is different from most.

The F3 does not feel as responsive as the ST, it just feels heavy. There is enough power but it is just not quick, feels like the difference between a diesel and gas as an analogy.

It is much more stable for me in the cockpit than the ST. I can actually go down the road with one hand and not feel like I will fall off the side. Feel as one with the F3.

I feel like I am shifting all the time and wish that with the improved torque the gears were a little further apart allowing the bike to run at 3500 rpm at 80 mph (even better fuel economy?). I rarely used 5th gear unless on the hwy on the 998 but use 6th alot on the 1330.

I do not like the turn signal arrows on the F3 as it does not show which direction it is blinking. (a small thing but it is still a thing)

The mirrors are head shoulders above the ST as I can actually see my blind spot without having to add a convex stick on.

Gas fill not under the seat is HUGE and should have always been that way(I can get fuel without dismounting) In addition to the greater range which for me is a huge blessing as I usually fill at home with a can and small pump.

ISCI nailed the hand brake for F3 compared to the ST. I can stop in way less distance then I ever could with the ST. (yes the system was bled multiple times and it was adequate just not spectacular like the F3 system)

Squared away did their usual fantastic job. Thanks Joe & Ann

Now that it is all adjusted with Ultimate Floorboards from Canamspyderaccessories.com, short reach bars and a Smooth Spyder Backrest it is by far more comfortable for long rydes than the ST.

Thanks Lamonster for the some of the goodies you sent for the farkling this last month while I waited for the Hand Brake from ISCI.

As with most everything I had to rebuild the seat to help protect from skin breakdown and added nerve pain (but that is normal for me whether bike, truck, car or ??)

Having my wheelchair rack mounting bracket made this week so the F3 will then be fully functional for me as an independent ryder again.

Ready for more myles of smyles going forward as it does make me feel normal (like all you upright folk) mostly compared to my normal day to day living in the wheelchair.

----------------------------------------------------

Things that should be standard from Can Am

A better rear shock. If they are going to upgrade the fronts on the S then the rear should be upgraded as well. It is not a comfortable ryde in regards to the rear shock (can feel every crack and bump). I had an Elka on the ST and will be upgrading the shock next. Still trying to decide if I go with the known to me Elka or give the M2 a try. Lots of $$$ if it is not all that.

Do not understand why hand brakes are not standard as it seems that most anything that you straddle have hand brakes in addition to foot brakes so why not the Spyder??

In addition the Spyder should have more brake and turn signal lighting, Can Am is not alone in this as it seems alot of motorcycles are deficient in that regard as someone who has become obsessed with that observation since I purchased the ST in 2015.

Even though I only had the last 3000 miles on a car tire I had forgotten the performance let down with the Kenda but will run it for 10k and replace then. (I am too cheap to toss a new tire)

One would think a windshield would be standard equipment but...........

-----------------------------------------------------

Well those are the thoughts that came to mind on my 175 mile ryde this morning. All in all glad to have upgraded and thank you Can Am for the F3 and the end of year rebate that made it all possible.

Tim

Spyder Garage

Glad your F3-S is working out for you. I made the same change you did 4 years ago. Just one comment on responsiveness and power. Rev the crap out of your F3 like you had to on your ST and you'll discover the true power of your F3. I did that right from the beginning and felt the F3 was way quicker and had way more power than the ST. Also, you can leave the F3 in a higher gear if you want and the torque will still pull you through. I could never do that on the ST, just not enough torque.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Tim, you can wind it out as much as you want, the 1330 doesn’t care!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Tim, please post pics of your wheelchair rack when finished. I'm curious to see how it is rigged. I'm still in the research stages, but am curious how folks haul their chairs.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-17-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Quote fixed
    2009 black segway i2 w/ black leanseats and roho pads