Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Recommendations

I have now replaced the rear tire on my bike twice. The stock Kenda's are terrible. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear tire? Please also include your tire size.
    2015 F3 , Gray/Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

Aracrash---How many miles are yo getting on each rear tire?? Do a lot of burn ouits?
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

My Kenda showed cords at 11K. Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15** went on. Working and looking good. I'm happy with the Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 H rated that I put on recently. Another ryder had some criticism on it but my experience is precisely the opposite of that person's. Holds the road. Curves like it's on rails. Running 24PSI cold. Cushy on the bumps. I will be putting another on again.

Still have the supplied KENDA fronts. I found an independent shop here in Taylors SC to get the Kumho mounted s like you, my dealer in Greenville SC would not mount it.

https://www.cyclespecialtiesperformance.com/ did.
    mudguard-off.jpgjacked.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aracrash View Post
    I have now replaced the rear tire on my bike twice. The stock Kenda's are terrible. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear tire? Please also include your tire size.
    I'm the person who doesn't think the Kumho Ecsta is great tire …. many people have said it's wet traction doesn't remain good after it is Half worn. … finding a good tire in 225/50-15 is pretty difficult …. that size is not popular so manufacture's don't make them …. a great rear tire is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 …. excellent test results against similar tires … currently available in 205/60 -15 & 205/65-15 …. both sizes are great for any Spyder …. another choice would be my old favorite the General Altimax RT 43 ( in the lower speed rating ) that comes in 215/60 -15 …. I have posted a ton of stuff about tires …. do a search ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m another who doesn’t care for the Kumho, the only reason people ran it was because it was the only tire available in the stock size. Once people started using different sized tires many better choices were found. I ran Kumhos three or four times in the past so I have a lit of miles on them, they do not handle great in rain.

My go to tire is the General Altimax RT43 in 215/60R15.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

We have sold and installed a great many Yokohama S-Drive size 205/55 R15. Great quality tire with better traction than the oem tire. Other Spyder shops sell this tire too. Its a near perfect size match and a great performing tire in this application. Yoko has tires for the front as well and they are both made in USA.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'm in the Vredestein camp right now, just got some rain riding in. No puddle/hydroplaning stuff mind you, just summer rain. In my opinion (only mine, I'm not a racer) the Vredesteins do very well on wet roads. My thought when I got caught in the rain was that they almost did too well. I couldn't tell the wet handling from the dry handling during cornering, which could lead to overconfidence. These tires do very well in a normal rain situation. I'll have to find a puddle to test how they perform during hydroplaning under controlled conditions.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. Did you take the rear tire off yourself? Did you find it difficult?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aracrash View Post
    Thanks for the information. Did you take the rear tire off yourself? Did you find it difficult?
    I not only removed the rear tire from the bike, but I bought a manual tire machine and changed the rubber myself. Also bought a balance shaft and static balanced it. I'm not that familiar with the F3 models, but they may even be easier than my 2018 RTL.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I got about 8k and i rarely do burnouts

Spyder Garage

I've just fitted a Yokohama to mine, 205/55/15, and the size difference is not an issue. It's the same diameter and about 10mm narrower.

It's the newer model than the S-Drive AS01, Advan Fleva V701, as the S-Drive has been discontinued in Europe. Not sure if it will ever be available in the US but it is superb. So much better than the stock Kenda.

https://www.y-yokohama.com/release/?id=2571&lang=en
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I've just fitted a Yokohama to mine, 205/55/15, and the size difference is not an issue. It's the same diameter and about 10mm narrower.

It's the newer model than the S-Drive AS01, Advan Fleva V701, as the S-Drive has been discontinued in Europe. Not sure if it will ever be available in the US but it is superb. So much better than the stock Kenda.

https://www.y-yokohama.com/release/?id=2571&lang=en
    Yoko has replaced the S-Drive with the newer Advan Fleva in the US as well. Transitioning now as there is still some old stock of the S-Drive around and the Advan just becoming available in the warehouse this month.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yoko has replaced the S-Drive with the newer Advan Fleva in the US as well. Transitioning now as there is still some old stock of the S-Drive around and the Advan just becoming available in the warehouse this month.
    Ah, well I can recommend it. Excellent wet and dry grip.

It only comes with 8mm of tread as opposed to the 10mm the S-Drive had. I don't have much of an idea of wear rate as yet, but I did a 1300 mile tour (mostly fast twisty miles) straight after fitment and it's looking much the same. I'll measure the tread when I get chance.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |