Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT-S SM5 // HOT RIGHT FOOT //

Yup yet another thread...

I ordered the heat shield from Spyderpops and will remember to remove the bottom plate

My question....should I look to install this as well? https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder...ustomerReviews

Or is this being redundant?
    2012 RT-S SM5 , Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Will help....

That kit was developed for the 2013's with the heat issues. They do ,however, work on other years and help with engine compartment heat. I would go for it to make summer ryding a bit cooler..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post
    Yup yet another thread...

I ordered the heat shield from Spyderpops and will remember to remove the bottom plate

My question....should I look to install this as well? https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder...ustomerReviews

Or is this being redundant?
    Short answer.....YES!

Make sure it comes with installation instructions.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Short answer.....YES!

Make sure it comes with installation instructions.
    In short....No it is not redundant and YES I should install both kits?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post
    In short....No it is not redundant and YES I should install both kits?
    Install both.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Thank you!
    And I will be getting this from Amazon and I don't anticipate it coming with instructions....
    I will look towards all of the wonderful people here to help me

I'm sure that the instructions are on here somewhere...

Spyder Garage

*** If there is anyone local to Long Island, NY that has done this work and wants to make a few bucks let me know ***

Spyder Garage

Ok so went to dealer last week for oil change and brought in the vent kit asking that they install. They said they had no time that day and to bring the bike back next Thursday (today) and they would install. got there this morning to drop off the bike and they now are telling me that the kit I bought didn't come with the service tools (the jigs needed to trace and cut out the plastic) and that I would need to purchase these. I nearly flipped my sh1t. Are they right? I thought a service tool is something that the dealer should provide....not to mention that they could have checked last week when I originally asked them to do the install to see what tools were needed. ITs need on the books for a week and no one checked?!?!?

Spyder Garage

I bought my set of vents from the dealer and no jigs were included. However I didnt care. Most here do cut the panel etc. I did not. I put the vents together on the kitchen table, I took off the clear plastic air deflectors that sit over the old vents. I used the two long screws that come with the kit (one on each side) and screwed the vents only to the top hole of the old clear air deflector. This set up is working fine on mine 2012 RTL . I don't believe at idle any modification will make much difference to how hot this machine gets in slow traffic. With my train of thought...it runs cooler at speed and that's all i can hope for...The only model that the heat mgt recall is for 2013 which did have some significant issues...my 2012 is warm on the right side but that's about it. If you send me your email I will send the factory information. dvuch1@msn.com .
    PS I can take these vents off and put the factory stuff on in 5 minutes and no obvious modification can be seen. Again, I'm in the minority and there are a lot of variations to skinning a cat
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    I bought my set of vents from the dealer and no jigs were included. However I didnt care. Most here do cut the panel etc. I did not. I put the vents together on the kitchen table, I took off the clear plastic air deflectors that sit over the old vents. I used the two long screws that come with the kit (one on each side) and screwed the vents only to the top hole of the old clear air deflector. This set up is working fine on mine 2012 RTL . I don't believe at idle any modification will make much difference to how hot this machine gets in slow traffic. With my train of thought...it runs cooler at speed and that's all i can hope for...The only model that the heat mgt recall is for 2013 which did have some significant issues...my 2012 is warm on the right side but that's about it. If you send me your email I will send the factory information. dvuch1@msn.com .
    PS I can take these vents off and put the factory stuff on in 5 minutes and no obvious modification can be seen. Again, I'm in the minority and there are a lot of variations to skinning a cat
    So Dave you are installing these just for aesthetics?

Spyder Garage

Update: dealer ordered template jigs and they will take 2 weeks to arrive.

Does anyone have or have access to the template jigs?

Spyder Garage

I installed mine without jigs.. I also cut out the panels. 4 hr job i guess.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White