Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

One of my friends ones said to me, Don't sweat the small stuff, because it's all small stuff!!! I think it's amazing that after all those years on two wheels you would not even think twice about going cross country with your ride, roll up your sleeves and repair what ever broke and not look back!! Now you own a three wheeler, and really that too is nothing more than, nuts and bolts, the same as you had before, nothings changed but the outside! This site that we use is like a sounding board, where you came go and get some ideas on how to start a fix, get help or just blow off steam. Give it a 50% discount and don't think it's going to happen to you. On here you hear all the bad things, but not that much good!! Use it more as a shop manual, and ride your heart out! You have a great ride under your butt, do what you have always done with your other rides, you'll be fine!! And if you should break down, then remember this web page has a lot of people all over the world, that at any time would help in any way they could to help you threw a pinch! Good Luck in your adventures, ride it like you stolid it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

A lot of positive encouragement here, with a little cold water thrown in just for good measure.

If you can't bring yourself to feel comfortable on the Spyder, then you're never going to enjoy it. An uplifting state of mind and the adventure of the trip is a good deal of the reason we ride in the first place. Though I think your concerns are unrealistic. Especially since you've actually experienced none of the issues you are worried about. You are currently living someone else's negative outcomes.

You need to find a vehicle that you are comfortable with. Until you do, you're not going to enjoy the ride. Regardless of how reliable it actually is. But no matter what you end up with, I would not look to hard at it. You'll find unhappy owners with bad experiences if you do.

Like the song says; 'There are dusty fields no matter where you go'. Me! I just ride right on by with a big smile. If something does go wrong, I deal with it. I find that it's all good as long as you have the right mindset.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-10-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

U-Haul has trucks and trailers........... what is the problem?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Boy, does this post hit close to home . . !!! In about 5 weeks I'm leaving mid Missouri and will be riding my 2015 F3S out to central California, all by myself, and I'm 70 yrs old!! My Spyder has 14k miles and has never given me any grief. I just had it serviced at Pitbull Power Sports in Springfield, MO.
    I feel very confident in the F3 , I have AAA, and naturally a cell phone .
    Having said all that, there is a bit of a 'pucker factor' and a few what if's . . I'm going anyway! Life is too short to let the what if's slow you down, be prepared and follow the road.

Spyder Garage

Exacty We purchased our spuder in 2016 and having no experience on 2 wheels, we said heck with and took a 600 mile trip on it. As you can see we have an older model but as others have said, you dont hear from those that have not had any problems because you dont want to ruing a good thing
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

I retract my comment. I doubt my position will convince the OP.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Sweating the small stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    One of my friends ones said to me, Don't sweat the small stuff, because it's all small stuff!!! I think it's amazing that after all those years on two wheels you would not even think twice about going cross country with your ride, roll up your sleeves and repair what ever broke and not look back!! Now you own a three wheeler, and really that too is nothing more than, nuts and bolts, the same as you had before, nothings changed but the outside! This site that we use is like a sounding board, where you came go and get some ideas on how to start a fix, get help or just blow off steam. Give it a 50% discount and don't think it's going to happen to you. On here you hear all the bad things, but not that much good!! Use it more as a shop manual, and ride your heart out! You have a great ride under your butt, do what you have always done with your other rides, you'll be fine!! And if you should break down, then remember this web page has a lot of people all over the world, that at any time would help in any way they could to help you threw a pinch! Good Luck in your adventures, ride it like you stolid it!!
    Yes, to all of the above, but the author of the book "Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff, died in his early 40's as best I remember! I am a worrier also, so I sweat the small stuff, and I am on my third Spyder! I have had some small problems with all three of them, nothing major! I don't feel as confident on my Spyder as I did on my Honda's and my Harley's! Just my two senses, keep riding and enjoy your Spyder!

Spyder Garage

I have no interest in anything other than long scenic trips.I carry a tire plug kit and a tiny compressor and a pair of wrenches in case I feel like adjusting the belt(I got nervous bc people on here talk so much about adjusting the belt).My last Goldwing needed a new set of tires after every trip bc they cupped and howled so much.Riding a Spyder is very confidence inspiring bc of the safety factor.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

LifeLongRider,

I'm one of the ones that sqawked about breakage on a brand new machine. I kind of feel your pain, but let me add this. I firmly believe that you can beat these things into submission. Mine had 2 failures in the first 3 months of being put on the road. The dealer fixed them, albeit in one months time. I just got back from a 857 mile round trip to SpyderPops shop in Pearcy Arkansas to get a Baja Ron sway bar and ROLO laser alignment.

My bike ran great. Nothing fell off or broke. I ran it hard outrunning the torrential rains that were in Arkansas at the time. This thing is smooth as glass with all the additions I put on it. This trip made me feel much better about the Spyder.

Once upon a time I was on a 77 Shovelhead I had ridden all the way from the deep south to Sturgis S.D. to see the spectacle. Of course it broke. It broke on Saturday night, I rode it out of the shop Sunday afternoon. My biggest question now is if I'm on the road, and something does pop up, and is a warranty repair, am I going to get back on the road before one month passes? The poor dealer representation is my main concern at this point. I was told if you're travelling that they will prioritize you to get you going, but is that really the case? Has anyone had to use an on the trip dealer repair, and how did it go?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    LifeLongRider,

I'm one of the ones that sqawked about breakage on a brand new machine. I kind of feel your pain, but let me add this. I firmly believe that you can beat these things into submission. Mine had 2 failures in the first 3 months of being put on the road. The dealer fixed them, albeit in one months time. I just got back from a 857 mile round trip to SpyderPops shop in Pearcy Arkansas to get a Baja Ron sway bar and ROLO laser alignment.

My bike ran great. Nothing fell off or broke. I ran it hard outrunning the torrential rains that were in Arkansas at the time. This thing is smooth as glass with all the additions I put on it. This trip made me feel much better about the Spyder.

Once upon a time I was on a 77 Shovelhead I had ridden all the way from the deep south to Sturgis S.D. to see the spectacle. Of course it broke. It broke on Saturday night, I rode it out of the shop Sunday afternoon. My biggest question now is if I'm on the road, and something does pop up, and is a warranty repair, am I going to get back on the road before one month passes? The poor dealer representation is my main concern at this point. I was told if you're travelling that they will prioritize you to get you going, but is that really the case? Has anyone had to use an on the trip dealer repair, and how did it go?
    Pre 2014 there were several reports of on the road breakdowns. One in particular that flashes in my memory required the owner to rent a car, go home, and return at a later date to pick up his Spyder. Truth is, if a breakdown were to occur, that required a Spyder dealer, and parts, to facilitate the repair, you'll likely be a while.

Same could happen on most any bike. Difference is......most other bikes have a vast dealership network and parts supply chain.

Things have improved since 2013, as it relates to reliability and breakdowns per 1000 units. What hasn't improved is the dealer network, number of quality techs, and readily available parts network? imo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Pre 2014 there were several reports of on the road breakdowns. One in particular that flashes in my memory required the owner to rent a car, go home, and return at a later date to pick up his Spyder. Truth is, if a breakdown were to occur, that required a Spyder dealer, and parts, to facilitate the repair, you'll likely be a while.

Same could happen on most any bike. Difference is......most other bikes have a vast dealership network and parts supply chain.

Things have improved since 2013, as it relates to reliability and breakdowns per 1000 units. What hasn't improved is the dealer network, number of quality techs, and readily available parts network? imo
    x 2 You have hit the nail on the head.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just put 11,978 miles on my 2014 RT-S SE6 from Nashville to Alaska and back without a single problem. I had an oil change and other service at the dealer in Vancouver, BC with high satisfaction.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    I just put 11,978 miles on my 2014 RT-S SE6 from Nashville to Alaska and back without a single problem. I had an oil change and other service at the dealer in Vancouver, BC with high satisfaction.
    Count your blessings!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have put 270,000 miles on Spyders since 2010 and I would not hesitate to ride cross country alone on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    If these two posts above don't alleviate your concerns nothing will.

And then there is this post below if all goes to hell in a hand basket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I did just buy AAA Premium for this bike. Never had it before, and I tell that my POS 1977 Harley FLH broke in every state I ever rode it in (very slight exaggeration). It did ride home in a truck more than once. BUT! I was a lot younger and healthier. It was also relatively easy to work on, kind of like the old Briggs lawn mower.

It comes down to a matter of logistics. If it breaks beyond your ability to get it back up, get it to the nearest well respected dealer (This is where the AAA comes in). If it's truly a horrible problem they can't solve in X number of days (X being the number of days you can afford to lay up in a hotel, usually very dependent on finances or a job), then the only other consideration I see is it cheaper to leave it and come back (round trip costs), or rent a truck, load it, and bring it home? I have used that route with the Harley, and it's not as expensive as you think. I looked at Budget rental, a 1500 mile one way trip is in the $1000 range.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

To LifeLongRider:

Is it really an elephant in your room? Or is it actually more of a mouse that you have unfortunately imagined to be larger than it really is? I believe that BajaRon is right when he suggests (above) that it's all a matter of perspective. Glass half full, or half empty sort of thing.

I'm a very senior citizen too, within spitting distance of my 80th birthday. Bought my Spyder for many of the same reasons you did. However, I have nowhere near the two-wheel experience you have, nor anywhere close to the mechanical abilities to work on my bike or carry out repairs. That doesn't stop me from wanting to ride it, or dream about taking a long trip. Hell, if that gal SpyderAnn can put over a quarter-million miles on her Spyders, I'll be damned if a few negative experience comments from others are going to hold me back. Love her attitude!!!

You say you're enjoying your Spyder and love being on it. I love mine, and hate when I'm not in the saddle. And while I have yet to do any long-distance touring, I have trailered, then ridden it well out in the 'boonies' far from home in totally strange territory. Truly love being back in the mountains and hills with not many others around except for beautiful scenery. If I had a breakdown, it would surely be a major PITA, but likely I'd find a solution and/or a way out. Actually, I've grown to trust my Spyder so much that I have to remind myself every now and then to check tires, oil, etc.; usually, I just switch on, mount up and go.

Perhaps I'm too naive to recognize the danger; I do still often think and act like I'm closer to 19 than 79. Yeah, I should know better, but I'm not about to turn down a challenge or to forego a pleasure. Maybe I'm selfish or self-indulgent that way. Hey, I paid my dues along the way; it's my life and I want to enjoy the bit that's left... without hurting others... and posing risk only to myself.

So, as the French might say: "Courage, mon vieux"....(Be brave, my friend)

Take that Spyder out and enjoy it to the MAX! Don't let a few negative reports get in your way. If necessary, turn off your computer and turn on your Spyder. Hey, I'll soon be back down in FL with my F3L, and not far from you. Want an old fart riding buddy to terrorize the mid-Florida countryside with? Just let me know. And if you want to meet up with me on my way south for several days of 'twisty' riding in the hill country and mountains of TN, NC, SC, GA, I'll have a trailer with me and be glad to haul any breakdown to a competent repair shop.

There are just too many interesting roads beckoning not to answer their call. Your Spyder needs exercise, and you (and I both) need the thrill and enjoyment. Ride On, and be safe.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The OP must have taken that long ryde, or sold his Spyder based on his lack of response!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

"I believe that BajaRon is right when he suggests (above) that it's all a matter of perspective. Glass half full, or half empty sort of thing." Remember the glass is neither one, it is refillable. Get out and ride.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

o LifeLongRider:

Is it really an elephant in your room? Or is it actually more of a mouse that you have unfortunately imagined to be larger than it really is? I believe that BajaRon is right when he suggests (above) that it's all a matter of perspective. Glass half full, or half empty sort of thing.

I'm a very senior citizen too, within spitting distance of my 80th birthday. Bought my Spyder for many of the same reasons you did. However, I have nowhere near the two-wheel experience you have, nor anywhere close to the mechanical abilities to work on my bike or carry out repairs. That doesn't stop me from wanting to ride it, or dream about taking a long trip. Hell, if that gal SpyderAnn can put over a quarter-million miles on her Spyders, I'll be damned if a few negative experience comments from others are going to hold me back. Love her attitude!!!

You say you're enjoying your Spyder and love being on it. I love mine, and hate when I'm not in the saddle. And while I have yet to do any long-distance touring, I have trailered, then ridden it well out in the 'boonies' far from home in totally strange territory. Truly love being back in the mountains and hills with not many others around except for beautiful scenery. If I had a breakdown, it would surely be a major PITA, but likely I'd find a solution and/or a way out. Actually, I've grown to trust my Spyder so much that I have to remind myself every now and then to check tires, oil, etc.; usually, I just switch on, mount up and go.

Perhaps I'm too naive to recognize the danger; I do still often think and act like I'm closer to 19 than 79. Yeah, I should know better, but I'm not about to turn down a challenge or to forego a pleasure. Maybe I'm selfish or self-indulgent that way. Hey, I paid my dues along the way; it's my life and I want to enjoy the bit that's left... without hurting others... and posing risk only to myself.

So, as the French might say: "Courage, mon vieux"....(Be brave, my friend)

Take that Spyder out and enjoy it to the MAX! Don't let a few negative reports get in your way. If necessary, turn off your computer and turn on your Spyder. Hey, I'll soon be back down in FL with my F3L, and not far from you. Want an old fart riding buddy to terrorize the mid-Florida countryside with? Just let me know. And if you want to meet up with me on my way south for several days of 'twisty' riding in the hill country and mountains of TN, NC, SC, GA, I'll have a trailer with me and be glad to haul any breakdown to a competent repair shop.

There are just too many interesting roads beckoning not to answer their call. Your Spyder needs exercise, and you (and I both) need the thrill and enjoyment. Ride On, and be safe.
    [SIGPIC] What a great attitude. Many happy trails to you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This will just echo replies from others. I have a F3L Spyder and have years and a couple of hundred thousand miles experience on BMWs. You must recognize that any machine can break down. The internet and product specific websites are full of horror stories about breakdowns, lack of dealer support, no parts, etc.... These are real but they represent only a small number of the total population and the internet blows them out of proportion.

BMWs have almost no dealer network outside of major population areas. There are some states with no dealers at all. They have many reported problems with electronics and final drive failures yet most owners ride the hell out of them and never have any issue. Can Ams are the same.

My advise is stop worrying and just go out and ride.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am actually glad I have read this post thru.

I recognize that a lot of the issues I had can be attributed to the dealership service Dept being a bunch of numskulls - offence intended. 8 months ago I changed dealerships and I've had no issues so far, so maybe I have been a bit harsh.

I do love riding the thing - I am an all weather rider regardless of conditions, though strong wind is my biggest dislike.

I really really want the Spyder to be a positive choice
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Uhaul has one trailer that will fit a Can Am Spyder and from my experience it is not readily available. I agree with everyone else. Go and ride and enjoy yourself.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts