Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default The Elephant in My Room

I’ve now been driving a Spyder since mid-January and can honestly say that I really enjoy it. The reasoning I used when I converted from two wheels to three is still valid and was a good decision. Can’t fall over, reverse gear, don’t have to muscle 950 pounds around anymore, etc. For a man my age (a very senior citizen) these are important considerations.

My last two-wheeler was a 2015 Goldwing that I bought new and put just shy of 50K miles on it. I literally traveled all over the lower 48 states with it and never once did I ever have a problem. I did all of my own maintenance (wouldn’t dare let a dealer touch it) and I had supreme confidence that it would never let me down – which it didn’t. I did however carry enough tools to perform just about any repair necessary while away from home, and I had the knowledge and expertise to go along with it.

And there lies the Elephant in My Room – confidence. I love my Spyder, a 2019 F3 Limited (which I have never had any problems with) but in the seven-plus months that I’ve had it I just haven’t gained enough confidence to do any traveling with it. I read about belt drive issues, tire issues, alignment issues, parking brakes locking up, excessive wait times at dealers to get repairs, the lack of competent dealers and you name it, there seems to be a smorgasbord of issues, that when combined, add up to a serious lack of confidence for me. Even something as simple as a rear tire puncture (which I’ve had my share of so I know it can happen), even if it could be plugged, would just about mandate being taken to a spyder dealer for a new tire (who are few and far between). At least on the Goldwing just about any local motorcycle dealer could replace a tire even if I had to pull the wheel myself. Not that easy on a spyder – sure can’t carry a floor jack while traveling. From what I’ve read, nobody but spyder dealers will even touch one of these anyway. My annual fall color tour across the eastern seaboard states has been cancelled because of this uneasiness – and that’s all it is, uneasiness. I understand that the likelihood of having any issues while traveling is slim, but none-the-less, it’s a feeling I can’t seem to shake. Unlike many, I bought my spyder to use for traveling, I’m not really a city-driver, and now I don’t know if I should stay with it or go back to two-wheels. I will definitely stick it out until next year and see what the new models bring – or I may make a change.

BTW, took the pic this morning while having coffee on the Gulf of Mexico.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue