Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The Elephant in My Room

I’ve now been driving a Spyder since mid-January and can honestly say that I really enjoy it. The reasoning I used when I converted from two wheels to three is still valid and was a good decision. Can’t fall over, reverse gear, don’t have to muscle 950 pounds around anymore, etc. For a man my age (a very senior citizen) these are important considerations.

My last two-wheeler was a 2015 Goldwing that I bought new and put just shy of 50K miles on it. I literally traveled all over the lower 48 states with it and never once did I ever have a problem. I did all of my own maintenance (wouldn’t dare let a dealer touch it) and I had supreme confidence that it would never let me down – which it didn’t. I did however carry enough tools to perform just about any repair necessary while away from home, and I had the knowledge and expertise to go along with it.

And there lies the Elephant in My Room – confidence. I love my Spyder, a 2019 F3 Limited (which I have never had any problems with) but in the seven-plus months that I’ve had it I just haven’t gained enough confidence to do any traveling with it. I read about belt drive issues, tire issues, alignment issues, parking brakes locking up, excessive wait times at dealers to get repairs, the lack of competent dealers and you name it, there seems to be a smorgasbord of issues, that when combined, add up to a serious lack of confidence for me. Even something as simple as a rear tire puncture (which I’ve had my share of so I know it can happen), even if it could be plugged, would just about mandate being taken to a spyder dealer for a new tire (who are few and far between). At least on the Goldwing just about any local motorcycle dealer could replace a tire even if I had to pull the wheel myself. Not that easy on a spyder – sure can’t carry a floor jack while traveling. From what I’ve read, nobody but spyder dealers will even touch one of these anyway. My annual fall color tour across the eastern seaboard states has been cancelled because of this uneasiness – and that’s all it is, uneasiness. I understand that the likelihood of having any issues while traveling is slim, but none-the-less, it’s a feeling I can’t seem to shake. Unlike many, I bought my spyder to use for traveling, I’m not really a city-driver, and now I don’t know if I should stay with it or go back to two-wheels. I will definitely stick it out until next year and see what the new models bring – or I may make a change.

BTW, took the pic this morning while having coffee on the Gulf of Mexico.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I understand what you say about the reliability issues, what scares me is how hard it is to find a knowledgeable dealer in my area, yet on the road in a strange area.
    Maybe we could get some kind of a network through this forum that has members volunteer their city, phone number, and even address if they want so we can check ahead, or just know someone is close by if we have a breakdown who can help and point us in the right direction for a dependable dealer (not to mention good tourist spots.) I think it would be a great way to take advantage of the knowledge here.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some great man once said "you have nothing to fear but fear its self" So I'm not saying dont be prepared for a break down like maybe have AAA for a tow if you need it and be ready to go with the flow if you need to, but go with the intent that you are going to have a great ride! Live to Ride, Ride to Live. You only have one life here on earth.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-09-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Like you I had the same worries about my 2009- se5 on long trips. Bought mine used at 5000 miles now has 21000 on it. Just returned from trip to upper New York(Buffalo) CT.,Pa,Virginia,West Virginia (2600 miles) with no problems. Burned a little oil. I carry a tire repair kit plug and co2 cartridges and a quart of oil.
    The engines are just about bullet proof. I do all my own maintenance and change my own tires etc. I suggest getting a shop manual and go thru it you will be surprised the things you can do without taking to a dealer or having buds. Ride it it is the only way to build confidence. I have road side assistance through my insurance on both the wing(gone) and spyder haven't used it in over 200,00 miles of riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Before I bought my Spyder I read this forum a lot and wasn't sure I should get one because of all the negative talk about reliability and dealers. I went ahead and bought one anyway. For a while I was worried every time I left the house on the bike if it would break down but after a year went by and no issues I gained more confidence. After 2 yrs I had more confidence, etc, etc.

I have 24K on my Spyder, I have 2K on my Ryker. I've taken 500 mile trips, I've taken 3000 mile trips across many states on the Spyder. I've done 1000 mile / 24 hr iron butt rides. Never had a problem. Yes, I have had a couple issues with the Spyder but very minor easy fixes. It's never left me stranded. I wouldn't hesitate to hop on the Spyder or Ryker and drive it across country tomorrow.

My advice. Plan a trip and go. Do a few hundred mile trip, then a thousand miles, then longer. Once you have a few trips under your belt you're confidence level will rise and you won't think anything about taking your Spyder anywhere.

Don't let this forum scare you.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

You need to consider that all your fears are based on what you read on this site and perhaps some others. This one has become the place to go to find solutions to many problems but this and others are a minority with many few coming on to relate their problem free ryding. Most issues get resolved but again we don't always get the feedback as the customer is happy and off ryding. Don't base your fears on this site, use it to learn how to...when to...what not to and to enjoy the off topic antics....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    I’ve now been driving a Spyder since mid-January and can honestly say that I really enjoy it. The reasoning I used when I converted from two wheels to three is still valid and was a good decision. Can’t fall over, reverse gear, don’t have to muscle 950 pounds around anymore, etc. For a man my age (a very senior citizen) these are important considerations.

My last two-wheeler was a 2015 Goldwing that I bought new and put just shy of 50K miles on it. I literally traveled all over the lower 48 states with it and never once did I ever have a problem. I did all of my own maintenance (wouldn’t dare let a dealer touch it) and I had supreme confidence that it would never let me down – which it didn’t. I did however carry enough tools to perform just about any repair necessary while away from home, and I had the knowledge and expertise to go along with it.

And there lies the Elephant in My Room – confidence. I love my Spyder, a 2019 F3 Limited (which I have never had any problems with) but in the seven-plus months that I’ve had it I just haven’t gained enough confidence to do any traveling with it. I read about belt drive issues, tire issues, alignment issues, parking brakes locking up, excessive wait times at dealers to get repairs, the lack of competent dealers and you name it, there seems to be a smorgasbord of issues, that when combined, add up to a serious lack of confidence for me. Even something as simple as a rear tire puncture (which I’ve had my share of so I know it can happen), even if it could be plugged, would just about mandate being taken to a spyder dealer for a new tire (who are few and far between). At least on the Goldwing just about any local motorcycle dealer could replace a tire even if I had to pull the wheel myself. Not that easy on a spyder – sure can’t carry a floor jack while traveling. From what I’ve read, nobody but spyder dealers will even touch one of these anyway. My annual fall color tour across the eastern seaboard states has been cancelled because of this uneasiness – and that’s all it is, uneasiness. I understand that the likelihood of having any issues while traveling is slim, but none-the-less, it’s a feeling I can’t seem to shake. Unlike many, I bought my spyder to use for traveling, I’m not really a city-driver, and now I don’t know if I should stay with it or go back to two-wheels. I will definitely stick it out until next year and see what the new models bring – or I may make a change.

BTW, took the pic this morning while having coffee on the Gulf of Mexico.
    My wife and I just finished a 66 day Coast to Coast, 11,000 mile ride, my bike is a. 2014 RTL and she has a 2015 RTL we have a combination of 60K trouble free miles on them and will take them up the Alcan next summer .
    D687B422-B8C7-4BDB-B234-7D037AD56619.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I retract my comment. I doubt my position will convince the OP.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Dependability questions running through your mind.

Truth is.

You won't know until you know.

If you've had no problems to date. That's on your side.

Go on an extended trip or two and see what happens.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

You have to remember that people who DON'T have problems don't post about how reliable the Spyder is or how their dealer does decent service. I have a 2015 F3 and it's never had a problem other than the time I put it into limp home mode by having my toe on the brake.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 F3. Have not been on any long trips with it since business at home holds me down from extended touring right now. I have only had it for about 3 months, but I have put over 3,500 miles on it and have enough confidence in it to take off several hundred miles without a second thought.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I live in East Tennessee. Almost to Bristol. I've been to Orlando Florida 4 times - Over 1,300 miles round trip each time. I've been to California twice - Over 6,000 miles round trip each time. I've been to Canada twice - Over 2,000 miles round trip each time.

I've been to Sturgis, South Dakota, Missouri several time for Spyderfest, and a number of other long distance trips with nothing more than minor, manageable issues. One which occurred because I did not get the coolant reservoir tank lid installed correctly. All of this on a Spyder year model that is much more problematic than the late model Spyders made today.

Every vehicle has issues. If you go to the Honda Goldwing forums, you will find a laundry list of issues that customers have experienced. Looking at these would give you pause to ride a Goldwing. I am not saying that the Spyder, in general, is as reliable as the average Goldwing. And the dealer network is not nearly as good. But you didn't buy a Spyder to worry. You bought it to ride. Since you have no reason to doubt your Spyder, other than what other people have said. I'd just ride more and worry less. Any individual Spyder can be every bit as reliable as any individual Honda product.

I would say trust it until it proves itself unworthy.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

So far... so good for me. I went through Ontario Canada on a 2500 mile trip in early summer and experienced no problems with the spyder. Like someone said, stuff happens, no matter what you ride. Riding and seeing new things is far better than admiring the Spyder that sits in the garage all the time. Ride and go with the flow. If and when an experience becomes too frustrating... then move along to something that seems better. So far, for me, a really good Spyder experience.

Spyder Garage

No faith...unless you test. In 2014, Got 1st service and then ran to PA., then TX,, then CO....
    Never a whiff of trouble. People with issues are the ones that speak up. Have some faith.. keep your cel phone in pocket.
    You WILL be okay.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Going to put another card on the pile of you read to much.

Most of the people posting are posting because they have some kind of a problem or issue with their Spyder. You do not hear a lot from those who are happy and have little to no problems.

Myself, been around here since Feb of 2010. Have owned 5 assorted Spyders. Have a combined total of almost 150,000 miles now. Have had NO major problems since my first one a 2008 GS.

Not afraid to get up and go. Suggest riding more and worrying less. You know what can happen. Be prepared, but don't let it crimp your style.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I have put 270,000 miles on Spyders since 2010 and I would not hesitate to ride cross country alone on it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have over 40,000 miles on my current 2015 F3-S. My previous Spyder was a 2013 ST-S. I put 25,000 miles on it. I have ridden all over the US and into Canada between both Spyders and never a breakdown. I will be riding to California at the end of the month. I am not worried about a breakdown. I have AAA Premier RV and a cell phone. Please don’t cancel your fall tour!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have put 270,000 miles on Spyders since 2010 and I would not hesitate to ride cross country alone on it.
    WOW, Simply Amazing. Do you drive anything else?
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

FWIW, not all motorcycle dealers are reluctant to touch Spyders. The dealership here in upstate New York with which I have been doing business for years and years, through a dozen or more Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Hondas, is perfectly willing to do "non-specialized" work on my Spyder, and I only need to go to the (less convenient) authorized Spyder dealer for matters involving the electronics, etc. -- which, by the way, haven't yet come up.

Take your trip. If you want a just-to-be-safe contact in New York, PM me and I will provide contact info.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 rt it was a boat anchor. Got 2012 rt had over 50000 no problems. Got a 2014 rt have over 60000 on it still going strong. 2018 went cross country 9000 miles with 2 Harley they broke down one guy purchase a new Harley to get home. 2019 went to South Dakota and Montana with 3 Harley 7000 miles no problems, 3 Harley all had a problem.
    The one guy purchase a new Harley so he could continue his trip to California. I also have a 2017 F3 with 16000 miles. I have AAA just in case. Just ride if something happens you’ll deal with it. I a 70+ women and ride myself a lot. Road from Montana to Pennsylvania myself.

Spyder Garage

LifeLongRider

My sentiments exactly.

I find this forum a treasure trove of invaluable info on Spyders. However, it can be extremely off putting if you read all the problems people have.
    I will only go on one nighters these days due to "breakdown paranoia". I did pull trailer and venture away for a week at a time once a year but the trailer got to be a repository for all my tools, parts & a jack or two!

Yes there are people who criss cross the continent and never have a problem (except maybe changing a worn out rear Kenda at a Spyder dealer on route) and have a great time.

My elephant has curbed my enthusiasm I'm afraid. Far too old to get stuck days from home. I'll keep my Spyder & enjoy my 200 mile rides but save the road trips for wifey and I in our car. Shame really as I have modified my '08 GS to fit me perfectly and l can ride it all day with no discomfort.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it's safe to say your confidence has very little to do with the Spyder. Something else is likely going on with you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have plenty of confidence-----in my 2014 and most everything else. We have taken many trips three well over 2,000 miles and 0 problems.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I started riding on 3 wheels after a bad accident. I went to a Goldwing trike for 4 years. It was exactly what a Goldwing should be, except I never got excited about riding it. After 40,000 miles I got ride of it and bought a used Spyder RT (2012) in 2015.It had 8500 mi. on and now have 49049 miles on it. I also have AMA membership, and Allstate Auto club. At 73 I am also not afraid to dive into the Spyder if I have to. Coming home from D3WR my Spyder quit shifting, due to a faulty repair by a previous dealer. With the long distance help of a service writer at Ridgeline Motorsports in Vernal Ut. I was able to get back on the road. My point is that even if you have a problem, there are many way to get back on your way. Just go, enjoy yourself. Tell us about your trip. If you have to just go to the next town, buy a burger and come home. Go 200 miles, Buy a steak stay overnight, come home. Ride up to Barber Motorcycle Museum in Oct 4th, you'll enjoy the trip. Get out and ride. The more you ride the more you will want to ride your Spyder. You had enough faith in it to buy it, now have enough faith in it to ride it. Looking forward to your stories.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post

And there lies the Elephant in My Room – confidence. I love my Spyder, a 2019 F3 Limited (which I have never had any problems with) but in the seven-plus months that I’ve had it I just haven’t gained enough confidence to do any traveling with it. I read about belt drive issues, tire issues, alignment issues, parking brakes locking up, excessive wait times at dealers to get repairs, the lack of competent dealers and you name it, there seems to be a smorgasbord of issues, that when combined, add up to a serious lack of confidence for me........
    Hi LifeLongRider,

Well this is like reading in words what goes thru my mind after 19 months ownership of an new RTL. I had two Honda tourers with a combined 250,000 kms on the clock, and neither had an issue in the time of my ownership. Its only now I realise I was able to just pack the bike, check the tyres, fill the tank and head off.

Since having the spyder I've had :
    - times where on the freeway the power steering kicked in nanny mode causing the bike to coast to a stop and I spent an hour on an offramp in the late of night trying to decide what to do,
    - have problems with parking brake not coming off or on,
    - wandering all over the lane I am trying to remain in,
    - VSS straightening the handlebars spearing my wife and I into the oncoming traffic,
    - brakes being applied by VSS for god knows what reason.
    - Enduring tyres that are really atrocious
    - Digital and Analogue style speedometer not reporting the same speed
    - Other Spyder riders who I ride with having all sorts of issues with compressors, sensors,
    the list goes on.

The cars my family own range from my Lexus to my wifes small compact, which bought new 3 years ago for less than one thirdthe price of the Spyder, had no issues, so the argument that "they dont make em like they used to" doesn't hold weight in my opinion.

This is my 1st Spyder, I still haven't decided if it will be the last or their'll be more. I do hope Can-Am spend time fixing the issues that seem to linger thru the brand since it first came to Australia in 2009 rather than load it with more gimmicks.

I was an IT Manager for a Gov Entity, and when I started our biggest software vendor wanted to know when we'd go for their latest version. My reply "Why would I purchase another product that's as bug ridden as the one we have to endure now? I'd be better looking for something else because we cant get any worse, so when you can show you are fixing the issues long term, come see me."

Too often it seems people are too complacent to accept near enough as good enough. It does not have to be that way and I hope BRP read these forums and see what we are saying. There are two growth areas for BRP in Australia, growth in new buyers and growth in those disenchanted and exiting the brand.
    2017 RTL , White