Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Free runnin Dogs!

Does anybody else have a problem with dogs? Some just want to run along beside me.Thats NP. BUT Some want to bite me! There are several roads in my area that I must avoid to keep from getting bit and possably wrecked! On my mornin ride today I had two close encounters.............. What can one do about this? (I called the local sheriffs office about one....They NEVER called me back! Imagine that )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are they the neighbors dogs running free? Call animal control??

Spyder Garage

Pepper spray. Couple of times getting shot, they'll figure it out. Keep it handy on my bicycle. There's a couple of kinds out, foam and spray. Foam's good against humans, but if you're riding a spray is probably better as you can fog the area, deterring the quadruped.

Spyder Garage

NO......Just random dogs that I just happen to ride down the road in front of. My neighbors learned years ago that I dont tolerate free runners.

Spyder Garage

Im goin 45 mph.....See the dog commin hard down the drive............It runs right in front of me! I damn near hit it and its got its teeth snarled at me......I was very lucky today. Rottweiler..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    Does anybody else have a problem with dogs? Some just want to run along beside me.Thats NP. BUT Some want to bite me! There are several roads in my area that I must avoid to keep from getting bit and possably wrecked! On my mornin ride today I had two close encounters.............. What can one do about this? (I called the local sheriffs office about one....They NEVER called me back! Imagine that )
    Use Hornet spray. A direct stream and goes about 20 feet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

call animal control or put a "Fricken Lazer" on the Spyder

Spyder Garage

So ima carry that in my hand as I ride? These dogs are not playin! LOL TY For the input.

Spyder Garage

There is no leash law in this area. Im in the middle of the "biblebelt".....Home of the uneducated bibletrumper.Its a nasty wicked critter!They think they must have mean dog runnin round in front of their trailer. I could shoot the damn dog.....BUT Then id have to defend myself from the whole damn trailerpark! Im gettin to point that im scared to go for a ride.

Spyder Garage

Tell the police (or animal control)... "I'm going to shoot that dog if it comes at me again." See if that gets them to do something about it. If not... um... shoot it Or, maybe not. Sorry for the canine capers by you.

Spyder Garage

Like the hornet spray, or a rubber hose across the snout. Used to have that problem on snowmobiles. A 20 inch whip of welding cable put a stop to most dogs legging you.
    Final solution shoot it.

Spyder Garage

Sell your bike and buy a slingshot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isnt there a owner in that owns the trailer park. I be calling a lawyer if bit. I be on his ass to control the dog issue. And Animal control.

But still like my Fricken Lazer idea..

Spyder Garage

Many years ago I had the same problem. Always wore engineer boots when riding. I applied boot to snout of offending dog. He went yelping down the road.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

pepper spray is readily available at Walmart. Not many animals will come at you for a second round of it.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Give Peace A Chance. Carry some dog treats in your pocket to throw to the offending k-9s and before you know it you will be petting and playing with the dogs. Win win for all! cueman

Spyder Garage

This is going to sound cruel but it won't hurt if diluted, it'll only be a shocker.

Get yourself a water pistol and add 95% water and 5% bleach.

Don't aim for their eyes aim for their nose.

GrandPappy taught me that over 60 years ago when I delivered papers on my bicycle.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Tell the police (or animal control)... "I'm going to shoot that dog if it comes at me again." See if that gets them to do something about it. If not... um... shoot it Or, maybe not. Sorry for the canine capers by you.
    If you tell the police this, they may well do something serious. It may not involve a dog.

Spyder Garage

True story.
    Years ago I was bicycling on a country road with some friends. As we passed a house, a boy and a dog charged out the front door. The boy yelled something to the effect of, "Go get 'em, Spot!" The (scary) dog flew out towards us.... and was flattened by a car. We rode on, leaving the boy standing there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    ...Get yourself a water pistol and add 95% water and 5% bleach...
    Hmmm... in today's anti-gun climate, can you even get a water pistol anymore?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Hmmm... in today's anti-gun climate, can you even get a water pistol anymore?
    You know.......probably not. If so.....it'll likely be Day-Glo Orange

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Each state has different laws concerning dogs or other animals causing traffic accidents, but in most states the dog owner can be held liable when their animal causes a traffic accident. You should look up the laws in the state or country you ride most often to determine the laws that apply. Of course, your insurance company should be notified immediately and the accident should be investigated before the dog can be removed or otherwise disposed of. The owner of the dog needs to be identified in the traffic report if that is possible. It is not going to be much consolation if you are laying in a hospital, but the owner of the dog (or other animal) may have to pay for injuries and damage caused by not having the animal properly restrained.

If you shoot a dog or have an accident while trying to spray a dog with pepper spray, you could be charged with animal cruelty, negligent operation of the vehicle or other charges. If the free roaming animal causes an accident and you were not operating the vehicle in a an unsafe manner, the liability for the accident will most likely fall on the dog's owner.

https://www.thebalance.com/when-you-...ith-car-527086
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

IF a dog hurts me or my machine.....Nobody will know who it belongs to! It will simply be a stray.NOW IF I shoot a dog.It will be worth 5000 bucks and a baby that has never hurt anybody! I am gona shoot the next one that gets close enough. My health is too important to risk it anymore. THANKS EVERBODY for the advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    This is going to sound cruel but it won't hurt if diluted, it'll only be a shocker.

Get yourself a water pistol and add 95% water and 5% bleach.

Don't aim for their eyes aim for their nose.

GrandPappy taught me that over 60 years ago when I delivered papers on my bicycle.
    My dad taught me the same thing, only it was ammonia. He used to carry a squirt gun of it in a holster, on his rides. Got my first mc when I was 7yo and a paper route when 11yo. Had my own squirt gun.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've already contacted law enforcement, but have you spoken to the trailer park manager to try and find out who owns the dog? If you choose to simply shoot the dog without contacting all parties involved, you may end up finding out who they are through their attorneys or through law enforcement. That would be the hard way. I completely agree with you that no one likes a bad dog. However, allowing a bad dog to get the best of you and cause you to make quick and possibly rash decision may end up costing you dearly. Make every attempt to resolve the issue before you take any drastic action such as shooting the animal. The use of deadly force can come back on you in ways you could never imagine.