Spyder Garage

Default Lockable cradle for Garmin GPS on a 2018 RTL?

After well over a year of trying to get Genius Maps to work, I’m ready to give it up. It’s not Genius Maps per se, since Sygic also has the same issues, it’s really BRP connect. Too many times when it just sits there trying to connect, as well as times when it says ‘Application not available’ and freezes the display (you have to stop, open the frunk, and disconnect the iPhone to get the display back). It was a valiant experiment, but BRP clearly has inadequate software testing and QA, and I have little expectation that they will have all the bugs ironed out for quite a few more firmware releases over the next year or so.

As such, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and get a ‘real’ GPS, probably a Garmin since that’s what I’ve had on my other bikes and it works well. The problem is that the BRP/Garmin cradle, like most bikes, is a non-locking one. That’s a bit of a hassle parking and leaving the bike for a short while (gas stop, lunch break, etc) as the GPS could easily ‘walk off’.

Does anyone know of a Garmin GPS mount that is lockable and will work on a 2018 Spyder RTL? Seems like this shouldn’t be an unusual request, but I’ve never seen one advertised anywhere and haven’t been able to find one on any of the Spyder accessory vendors. Not critical of course, since it’s not all that difficult to remove and replace the unit when leaving the bike, but it sure would be a nice thing to have.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

- Ken (2018 Spyder RTL)

Spyder Garage

Suggestion for short time stop security. I tie wrap the Garmin release shaft.

Or

https://touratech-usa.com/Garmin-Motorcycle-GPS-Devices

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Touratech makes what looks like a very sturdy device but IMO the GPS looks like it's caught in a lobster trap. I prefer a Kradellock, https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop?...kradellock-659, and have had one for about four years. I leave the GPS on the Spyder all the time except overnighting at motels when on tour. As a complement to my Zumo 590 I use this sun visor, http://www.priushood.com/garmin-zumo...-sunvi590.html.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use a 590 and found this a non issue, it has the quick release button , pop it loose and slide in my pocket or toss in trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Touratech makes what looks like a very sturdy device but IMO the GPS looks like it's caught in a lobster trap. I prefer a Kradellock, https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop?...kradellock-659, and have had one for about four years. I leave the GPS on the Spyder all the time except overnighting at motels when on tour. As a complement to my Zumo 590 I use this sun visor, http://www.priushood.com/garmin-zumo...-sunvi590.html.
    Agree! and, that's a good looking mount you linked to. I like the hood more for what it does in rain than the shade it 'does not' provide(that may be because of my height.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Zumo...MAAOSw8Y1bvk1F

I bought this one. It’s simple and it locks the button so that you have to unlock it to remove it. But if somebody really wanted it they could use a screwdriver or a switchblade to remove it. ( probably damaging the gps case ) It came in the mail less than 10 days! (US)
    2016 Spyder RT-S Special Series (black)
    Garmin Zumo 590 GPS with Mounting Kit & Locking Plate
    Battery Tender Jr
    Full & Half Covers
    Foam Grip Covers
    NBV Highway Brackets with Black Dually Trident ISO Pegs
    3- Piece Lid Net Set
    Baja Ron Sway Bar with Aluminum End Links
    Magic Mirror’s
    Doc’s Vibration Damper
    Air Ryde Rock Armour Cup
    Missing Belt Guard
    Dual USB Charger with Digital Voltmeter Rocker Switch
    IPS Axel Caps Front (inner) & Rear
    GoldPlugs MP-01 & MP-18
    Yuasa YTX24HL-BS Battery
    Battery Post Risers
    Tie Down Rings
    Show Chrome Rear Trunk Shock
    2- Beaded Seat Cushions
    Tinted Sport Windshield & Side Cargo Bag Set (stored in a box)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried Sygic GPS? It's easier and you can see things better. Make sure all devices are up to date.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

You can drill a small hole though the mount and insert a screw to prevent the quick release tab being depressed. A screw will cut it's own thread into the plastic and it seems to last being screwed and unscrewed indefinitely. However, I also use a Garmin 276Cx navigator and it has an integral screw for locking down the release tab.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Touratech makes what looks like a very sturdy device but IMO the GPS looks like it's caught in a lobster trap. I prefer a Kradellock, https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop?...kradellock-659, and have had one for about four years. ].
    on the Kradellock. Been using one on our 2015 for a few years with no problem. Well engineered product.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Kradellock looks like an excellent device, and best of all it's something that can be added at a later date to an existing mount. Speaking of mounts, I checked at the local Spyder dealer, and the only one BRP seems to sell is a RAM-like one that clamps to the side of the handlebar. Not at all what I want, and the one that mounts in the center is for the Triaxial handlebar only. LaMonster has a nice power plate mount that gives you an adjustable (up and down?) swivel mount as well as USB and 12v outlets, which looks very nice. If I can't find a simple mount that attaches to the center bolts of the handlebar, the La Monster one should be fine (albeit overkill).

Next will be wiring, although I think I'll just tap into power and ignore any audio connections. The GPS can connect via Bluetooth to the helmet, which will bypass any issues with BRP software on the bike. Worked great on my RT1200, and simple seems to be best for the Spyder.

Thanks again for the suggestions - very helpful.

- Ken

Spyder Garage

My Spyder dealer didn't have a clue when it came to mount the GPS on the Tri-Axis bars but a member on this site pointed me in the right direction.
    https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam-spyder/en_US/shop/spyder-accessories/electrical-electronic-accessories/gps-mounts/gps-support-for-tri-axis-adjustable-handlebar-without-harness.html
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Have you gotten a new dealer yet? That merits a chat with the owner of the dealership. Someone is doing a good job of masking terminal stupidity.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S