Spyder Garage

Default VSS flashing on a wet road - normal ?

I was out riding my F3S Daytona 2017. When I was turning right after a light, I turned slowly but when I was about to make the full turn, I did full throttle from gear two to gear three and all of a sudden this VSS light flashing for about 2 seconds and then went away. The bike swayed a little bit from the wet road conditions. Would like to ask you guys if this is normal? Or could there be something wrong with my bike? 501A4500-FD97-4A45-8E8C-F2B35881F0C9.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

If your slipping and sliding for sure as it is the (Vehicle stability system) VSS and if you are not going straight and level it will warn you. The F3's have a more relaxed VSS but still there. Many times you can slip and slide and spin the back wheel causing this to occur...You know all wheels traveling at the same speed....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The bike was getting on the edge....VSS would have saved your bacon.

Have also had our Subaru's light up from time to time...usually in icy conditions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jwill View Post
    I was out riding my F3S Daytona 2017. When I was turning right after a light, I turned slowly but when I was about to make the full turn, I did full throttle from gear two to gear three and all of a sudden this VSS light flashing for about 2 seconds and then went away. The bike swayed a little bit from the wet road conditions. Would like to ask you guys if this is normal? Or could there be something wrong with my bike? 501A4500-FD97-4A45-8E8C-F2B35881F0C9.jpg
    Yes this is Normal …. the VSS is doing what it was designed to do ….. You may not feel your tires slipping but the VSS ( on Spyders ) is far more sensitive to surface traction than what most humans can feel. …… Any lubricant ( like water ) reduces the surface traction a lot more than you might think. ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

When you gassed it in the turn you upset a yaw sensor.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It depends on the road surface and amount of water on it. In a bad rainstorm, I was going up a steep hill in my car and I could feet the traction control kicking on and off due to the amount of water flowing down the hill reducing the traction of the front wheels. Your VSS is probably sensing a intermittent loss of traction in one or more wheels.

Spyder Garage

That is the way it is supposed to work. My truck hits some bad mud and one wheel breaks loose and starts spinning, the traction control locks up the rear end sending power to both back tires and the slip control light on the dash lights up. Only broke the F3 loose bad enough one time and had to do that intentionally.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver