Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I guess I'm a motorcycle guy

I quickly lost interest in my Ryker Rally, guess I'm a motorcycle guy. My wife inherited it and I bought this yesterday. A 2011 Kawasaki Concours with 4k miles on it

Concours.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sweet! I always liked those. They seemed sort of heavy when I first got on them, but once they start to move, they are really not heavy at all.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry...

Many ryde both but only if it is affordable to have and maintain both. If not go with what you like best. After all being out there and enjoying life should be on what makes it most pleasureable for you... Congrats on the new to you ryde we hope it will be all you want it to be. We will still wave if we pass along the way....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You are not alone. Many of us are motorcyclists at heart. I am fortunate enough to still own and ride two wheels as well as having a Spyder. I can still enjoy the best of both worlds. Before my hip surgery, I had to give up two wheels. But, was able to come back.

Going on 74 years young.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-08-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Like a lot of others here, we also have a Spyder and a 2 wheeler. Mine is a 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100. We have been on both 3 and 2 wheels since 1993, it is nice to have choices, I like both biking and triking pretty much equally.
    I'm sure you'll like the Connie - they are great sporty mile munchers.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, you're a motorcycle guy, just a 2-wheeler....for now. As you approach 60-70 you'll be be reconsidering a trike
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Ryde what YOU like and what makes YOU happy.... I have found very little animosity amongst the three wheel crowd towards two wheel bike/bikers. Unfortunately thats not always been the case the other way around.

Congrats on the new bike... she sure is pretty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    Yes, you're a motorcycle guy, just a 2-wheeler....for now. As you approach 60-70 you'll be be reconsidering a trike
    Umm, maybe 80 something.....some of us are well past 60 and digging deeper every passing day into their 70's.

Like both.....ride both. For as long as you can

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Is not about the ride... is about getting what you want out of the ride.
    Both are motorcycles in my eyes.

As long as it takes you where you want and it makes you happy, have fun travelling .

Spyder Garage

Nice ride...congrats!
    I'm good with the 2-wheeler when solo, but for 2-up, I take the Spyder.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

When the wife and I decided to get a Spyder, I told her I hate having to sell the Valkyrie. She said, "You don't have to sell the Valkyrie. " I said, "Bless you dear."
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is my wife's but I ride it too. I prefer two wheels as well, but there a times where three wheels are a better fit for the job and then I use it. As others said above, ride what you like. The Connie is a very good machine too with a passionate community of owners that adds to the experience. Enjoy! And you hopefully the Mrs. will let you borrow the Ryker when the urge hits you. :-)

On a side note, have been pleasantly surprised that I have found the two wheel crowd that I encounter to be very accepting of the Spyder. My key motorcycle is a BMW and I find more animosity from the HD crowd - and some the sport bike riders I hang with - toward the BMW than the Spyder.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post

On a side note, have been pleasantly surprised that I have found the two wheel crowd that I encounter to be very accepting of the Spyder. ...
    Ditto! I ryde with a couple of local Meetup/Facebook groups, usually as the only 3W, and always feel accepted...and often have to answer all the "usual" questions, multiple times, on any given ride.

I do have to caution whoever is following me that I can't point a leg at any road debris...well, I can point, but my short legs are virtually invisible due to the side bags So I just tell them to keep an eye on whoever is in front of me.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    When the wife and I decided to get a Spyder, I told her I hate having to sell the Valkyrie. She said, "You don't have to sell the Valkyrie. " I said, "Bless you dear."
    WOW, I sold my Valkyrie before getting the Spyder. Must really be different going from one to the other, they are certainly different machines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    WOW, I sold my Valkyrie before getting the Spyder. Must really be different going from one to the other, they are certainly different machines.
    I just have to remember to put my feet down when riding the Valkyrie.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Ryker is a motorcycle

Spyder Garage

Sweet ride. I had a 2012 C14 before going to the F3 Ltd (knees). Even though I ride the Spyder now, I'm still an active member of the COG club (Concours Owners Group). Since you have a C14, you need to check out cog-online.org Our moto, join for the bike stay for the people. We don't care what you ride. There are several chapter across the country covering different regions. We like to ride, go places, camp, campfires then bring out the libations. Check out the one nearest you.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I could have traded my ryjker for a beautiful low mileage Valkyrie. Then I remembered why I gave up 2 wheels. I m 67 and have a never issue with my back and I can't trust my legs to always work right. I have as much fun as I did on 2 wheels, and I feel much safer. If and when you know it's time to quit 2 wheels, the ryker is a great option.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KID Ryker View Post
    Ryker is a motorcycle
    Not by any stretch.

But it is its own kind of fun, in spades!

Just last week I rode my Harley Road King to the store, sort of an all systems go before sale, a final,goodbye. I was instantly transported to two wheel mode, where a small flick of the waist took me around a pothole with nary a seconds thought. Where i could choose between 3-4 lines already in mid turn, and each was fine. Where I had difficulty balancing the bike in a slow speed turn using the friction zone to hold the bike up.

See I knew the obvious struggles I was facing on a motorcycle due to arthritus in my knees , back, and ankles. And I remembered how my diabetic retinopathy caused me to lose feeling and strength in my left leg and foot. But I hadnt allowed for that preventing me from being able to upshift while riding using the toe shifter. Fortunately the bike is equipped with a well placed heel shifter, or I never could have gone above 1st gear. The Road King is a motorcycle made for two wheels and all that entails.

The Ryker is a tricycle, meant to remain upright, and shifted with no clutch via cvt. Is it sexy? Absolutely. Does the ride offer some overlap to a motorcycle, the windin your hair, exhikirTing acceleration, a seat to straddle, and a twist grip throttle? Sure does. But the similarities and differences begin and end there. A motorcycle the Ryker is not. It is a healthy dose of fun worthy of addition to any Stable of sporty rides

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KID Ryker View Post
    Ryker is a motorcycle
    Um, no. The Ryker, and the Spyder in all it variants, are trikes. In most states they are generally clumped into the motorcycle rules, in Missouri statutes it is always specified "motorcycles and motortricycles" when a law applies to both.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I bought the wife a Ryker, sold the C14 and "downsized" to a GSX-S1000F. It's 1/2 the weight, lower to the ground and similar HP to the Connie. I'm happy with my purchasing decision, but I still take the Ryker out for a spin once in a while. It's not a "motorcycle", but its a ton of fun to ryde.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I quickly lost interest in my Ryker Rally, guess I'm a motorcycle guy. My wife inherited it and I bought this yesterday. A 2011 Kawasaki Concours with 4k miles on it

Concours.jpg
    Nice bike ,i had a honda ST 1300 and my son had a FJR ,all great bikes with loads of fun.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I'd take my ST1300 back anyday too, for solo riding. But when the Mrs decides she wants to ride with me rather than on her Ryker, I prefer 3 wheels under us, for all the reasons you're all aware of by now. If I had the room and the money, I'd find me an ST1300, an FJR, or a Concourse. Love the looks and function of em all.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Too each his own most Harley riders think that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Not by any stretch.

But it is its own kind of fun, in spades!

Just last week I rode my Harley Road King to the store, sort of an all systems go before sale, a final,goodbye. I was instantly transported to two wheel mode, where a small flick of the waist took me around a pothole with nary a seconds thought. Where i could choose between 3-4 lines already in mid turn, and each was fine. Where I had difficulty balancing the bike in a slow speed turn using the friction zone to hold the bike up.

See I knew the obvious struggles I was facing on a motorcycle due to arthritus in my knees , back, and ankles. And I remembered how my diabetic retinopathy caused me to lose feeling and strength in my left leg and foot. But I hadnt allowed for that preventing me from being able to upshift while riding using the toe shifter. Fortunately the bike is equipped with a well placed heel shifter, or I never could have gone above 1st gear. The Road King is a motorcycle made for two wheels and all that entails.

The Ryker is a tricycle, meant to remain upright, and shifted with no clutch via cvt. Is it sexy? Absolutely. Does the ride offer some overlap to a motorcycle, the windin your hair, exhikirTing acceleration, a seat to straddle, and a twist grip throttle? Sure does. But the similarities and differences begin and end there. A motorcycle the Ryker is not. It is a healthy dose of fun worthy of addition to any Stable of sporty rides

Spyder Garage

The Ryker IS a motor cycle. Motor? Check. Cycle? Check. The term doesn't refer to the number of wheels.
    But that said, it's more like riding a go-kart with a handlebar. Way fun.