Spyder Garage

Default Pics of HF trailer after painting with VHT SP402

20190807_145120.jpg20190807_145120.jpg20190807_145204.jpg20190807_145140.jpg

I had a story already in print about how this got from Silver to Gold to BRP Cognac (VHT SP402), but the site decided my commands obviously weren't right for attaching pics and deleted the whole thing before I could send it. So, in short, Thanks to Pete Nixon for selling me this trailer and bringing it with him to Mt. Rainer area from Utah, and Thanks to BLUEKNIGHT911 for helping me with some concerns/procedures about using this paint. My "significant other/soul mate/all time riding partner" is also happy that I considered her request to repaint it from the Gold we originally agreed on Life is good
    PS: sorry there are 2 of one pic here
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post

I had a story already in print about how this got from Silver to Gold to BRP Cognac (VHT SP402), but the site decided my commands obviously weren't right for attaching pics and deleted the whole thing before I could send it. So, in short, Thanks to Pete Nixon for selling me this trailer and bringing it with him to Mt. Rainer area from Utah, and Thanks to BLUEKNIGHT911 for helping me with some concerns/procedures about using this paint. My "significant other/soul mate/all time riding partner" is also happy that I considered her request to repaint it from the Gold we originally agreed on Life is good
    Great job with that! We enjoyed meeting you for the first time in Morton, WA and look forward to a time we can tour the Olympic Peninsula together. You live in a beautiful area.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Lookin' Good!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cognac Trailer

Glad I could assist …. it does look great ….. we discussed clear coating the base color …. Did you ???? …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Nice looking trailer.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Not yet. Do I need to wait a few days?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same setup you have. I looked into a wrap but it was bucu expensive. More than the origional cost of the trailer. How many cans did it take to do the job? Any pit falls to watch out for? By the way, you don't mind if I copy your process do you?

Spyder Garage

Not yet. Do I need to wait a few days?
    Well you PM'd me that the VHT can advised 7 days …. I think they know their product best …. I think clear coat would make the color deeper and also protect the color coat ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

OK, 1 week it is. If I can wait that long ��
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be sure to test a small inconspicuous area with the clearcoat first. Clear it and wait an hour to make sure there is no clearcoat lift or wrinkling.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I have the same setup you have. I looked into a wrap but it was bucu expensive. More than the origional cost of the trailer. How many cans did it take to do the job? Any pit falls to watch out for? By the way, you don't mind if I copy your process do you?
    2dogs....I painted the fenders as a test and put on excessive number of coats, and it took a little over 1/2 can. Yesterday, when I painted the top of the cargo shell, being careful to apply as directed and with minimal overlap of areas, it took 2 cans. That was for 3 coats overall, 10-15 minutes in-between coats as can says. I bought 4 can just in case, but was happy with the coverage as above, so I have 1 on the shelf for any possible touchup or revision.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

teninospyder, nice job, very nice.

Spyder Garage

Nice Job !!

Spyder Garage

Looks awesome! Enjoy the ryde!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well you PM'd me that the VHT can advised 7 days …. I think they know their product best …. I think clear coat would make the color deeper and also protect the color coat ….. Mike
    Yes, the clear coat makes the color deeper, and it protects the clear coat.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Nice job... can you get chrome wheels for the trailer...? Would give it that finishing touch...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to Mike (BlueKnight911) for coming up with this solution. Here it is on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP402-Eng.../dp/B002NUFVRW

VHT SP402 Burnt Copper High Temp (650 degrees Fahrenheit) Engine Metallic has excellent durability and superior heat and chemical resistance. It is specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today's gasoline blends and degreasers. VHT's Engine Metallics is a unique blend of urethane and ceramic resins, which produce a long-lasting finish for engines, engine accessories or wherever a tough durable heat and chemical resistant finish is needed. Engine Metallics coating creates a cool sparkling metallic finish and withstands intermittent temperatures up to 650 degrees Fahrenheit. VHT SP402 is part of a multi high performance coating system for the ultimate protection and quality. The coating system products consist of surface prep, engine primer, engine metallic, and engine clear. VHT Engine Metallic coating dries to the touch in 30 minutes and completely over night. VHT Metallic coating only attains its unique qualities after correct curing. Curing occurs with normal engine operating temperatures or parts can be heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Complete application and curing process instructions are also printed on each can.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks to Mike (BlueKnight911) for coming up with this solution. Here it is on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP402-Eng.../dp/B002NUFVRW

VHT SP402 Burnt Copper High Temp (650 degrees Fahrenheit) Engine Metallic has excellent durability and superior heat and chemical resistance. It is specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today's gasoline blends and degreasers. VHT's Engine Metallics is a unique blend of urethane and ceramic resins, which produce a long-lasting finish for engines, engine accessories or wherever a tough durable heat and chemical resistant finish is needed. Engine Metallics coating creates a cool sparkling metallic finish and withstands intermittent temperatures up to 650 degrees Fahrenheit. VHT SP402 is part of a multi high performance coating system for the ultimate protection and quality. The coating system products consist of surface prep, engine primer, engine metallic, and engine clear. VHT Engine Metallic coating dries to the touch in 30 minutes and completely over night. VHT Metallic coating only attains its unique qualities after correct curing. Curing occurs with normal engine operating temperatures or parts can be heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Complete application and curing process instructions are also printed on each can.
    Thanks ….. but an important footnote …. this paint is formulated for METAL , so it will eat PLASTIC ………. NOT an issue as long as you completely PRIMER paint the plastic ,,, the VHT has NO bad effect on the Primer paint …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks ….. but an important footnote …. this paint is formulated for METAL , so it will eat PLASTIC ………. NOT an issue as long as you completely PRIMER paint the plastic ,,, the VHT has NO bad effect on the Primer paint …… Mike
    I was wondering about that very thing. Thanks!
    2014 RTL Platinum