Thread: Fog lights

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fog lights

Are the fog lights on a RT-S considered H11?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

The original ones I removed from my '14 RT-S two weeks ago when I replaced both headlights and fog lights with LEDs from Tricled are H8s. FWIW, the LED headlights and fog lights are much better than the halogens IMO. I made the decision to switch after an absolutely frog strangling four hour rain storm in which my touring partner was often some distance behind me but his LED headlights were much clearer than surrounding cages' lights.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I've had LED headlights for a couple of years and finally made up my mind to put LED's in the fog lights as well. I've been riding 30 miles one way to work on second shift and have absolutely no problem seeing with the LED headlights. Before I made the switch, I wouldn't ride after dark. I found out the hard way just how bad the OEM lights were after thinking it would be an easy 10 mile ride in the dark just this one time. At 30 MPH, it wasn't too bad, but even then, visibility left a lot to be desired!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Not to hijack the thread but I have a question.

I decided to replace my fog lights with LEDs on my RT-S last night. I removed the torx and the pushpins and moved the panel slightly out of the way. Got my hand in there but for the life of me I could not get the latch to release the cap. It has not be removed before so maybe the rubber is sticky. Any ideas on how to pop it open? It's mainly a one hand job unless I figure out how to take the panel off completely.

Thanks for the help.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Hi Kid,
    I'll assume ( I hate doing that ) that you're dealing with the left fog light. Just loosening the panel and then the air intake tube will get you to the left fog light housing. From there is just strong hands.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 08-08-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I can relate two instances of getting that left fog light swapped out in both of which I participated.

About a year and a half ago a friend asked for assistance in the job. He found he couldn't get that left fog light cover unsnapped and out of the way to replace the halogen bulb with an LED, no matter how hard he tried, and he knew what he was doing. When I arrived he had already removed the frunk from his 2016 RT-Ltd. He had to loosen some of the bolts/nuts that anchor the air inlet tube to the underside of the frunk. Once he did that he could maneuver the air inlet tube enough to get the cap off and back on.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to replace my halogen headlights and fog lights with LEDs. In had the frunk off because I was also replacing the right OEM radiator grill as the result of a rabbit strike on a tour. (That four legged critter went slam into into the right radiator intake taking out my Spyderpops KOTT Grille and shoving it rearward into the OEM radiator grill; fortunately no damage to the radiator.) Anyway, since I had the frunk off to replace the mangled OEM radiator grill I did both of the light sets. On my left fog light. It was very easy to pop the cap off and change the bulb, this on a Spyder that was assembled just like my friend's. I didn't have to do anything but pop off the light cap off and on to exchange the bulbs -- no muss, no fuss. Go figure.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

JayBros: I was hoping to do the left side without removing the frunk, just loosing the side panel, access panel, and black piece on top.

Lew L: Yes it's the left one. The right was easier once I figured out how to get the cap off.
    Where's the best place/way to loosen the air intake?

Thx folks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    ...Where's the best place/way to loosen the air intake?

Thx folks.
    Right where it connects to the air box beneath the left top side panel. A 7 mm socket and ratchet works very well.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I answered my own question. Started to pull out the left panel and the hose separated from whatever it should be attached to. Now to get the cap open and change bulbs, then reconnect the hose. I guess the hose clamp wasn't tight enough the last time it was apart from the dealer.

Thanks all.