Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Using auto tires on any spyder

Hi Mike here ….. there are dozens and dozens of New folks on this site now and may not be aware of this …. If you decide to use Auto tires on your Spyder ( and most here are doing this ) …. Tire sellers usually will not sell you a Car tire if you tell them it's for a Spyder …. They are afraid of legal liability issues, even tho Any Auto tire is at least three times as safe as a Kenda or Arachnid..... so if you Must speak to a salesman tell them it's for a used car you just bought and this is the Brand & Size that's on the car Now …. and you need to re-place one or two and you want them to match or say it's for a dune buggy and that's what are on there now ….. If you want accurate info about tires ASK HERE …. not a tire sales-person, they have NO knowledge about tires used on Spyders ….. Discount tire has pretty much RED FLAGGED the Kumho Ecsta in 225/50-15 for the aforementioned reasons.........good luck …. Mike .......PS - Dis-claimer, what you put on your Spyder is your decision not Mine ......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or if it's the rear tire, tell 'em you need one as a spare tire.

I can't recall if TireRack sells non-complete sets (ie <4), anyone know?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

For the General Altimax 215/60R15 I've gotten them at Walmart for first one and Amazon for second, both free shipping.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I got my tires from tire rack, ordered the front two and a month later order the rear. On the site I put the size I wanted and then selected the option of not entering vehicle information.

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post

To be continued....

Spyder Garage

I bought my Vredestein's from Tire Rack. I ordered the rear tire first. A second order for the two fronts. I just searched the site for tire size and picked. Shipped without any questions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I bought my Vredestein's from Tire Rack. I ordered the rear tire first. A second order for the two fronts. I just searched the site for tire size and picked. Shipped without any questions.
    … one of my points was … salespeople ask questions and will deny a sale if you tell the truth ….. on-line ordering works best ….if you can do it that way …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

www.tires-easy.com, Amazon.com, walmart.com do not ask what vehicle you are buying for.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Once you get a non-stock tire can you bring it to a dealer to have it mounted? I imagine most wont so where do you go to get the tire mounted and balanced.

Also how about riding mileage are the equivalent to a car tire with mileage and is the ride pretty good?

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my rear tire at a local tire shop but had to take it to a motorcycle shop to get it spin balanced. I took the wheel off and put it back on myself.

I ordered my Vredestein tires from TireRack.com and ordered by size and declined when asked IF I wanted to give any vehicle info. No problems and the tires were at my front door almost as soon as I got off the computer!

Again, took the wheels off and on myself, took the tires to a new local tire shop which had the small cones to spin balance them.

Our local Spyder dealer won't install anything other than the crappy Kendas.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post

Our local Spyder dealer won't install anything other than the crappy Kendas.

That seems to be all to common. I think I found an independent shop that will do it for me when the time comes.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting about the Kenda's, The Smoaks Vlog just did a You Tube with heavy emphasis on uing the Kenda's that were specially designed for the Spyder use, and yet I read that Kenda tires just don't get the job done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Interesting about the Kenda's, The Smoaks Vlog just did a You Tube with heavy emphasis on uing the Kenda's that were specially designed for the Spyder use, and yet I read that Kenda tires just don't get the job done.
    You should consider the source of that info..... When you watch TV do you really believe what all those PAID people have to say ???? ….regarding statements made about " Special tire design " ,.... On your car/trk have you kept the exact same tire brand & model that the veh. came with ??? if you believe what Shawn has to say then you have gone against His advice ….. just sayin …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this conversation . . 2015 F3S, 50% tread left on both front OEM Kendas . .want to replace before road trip out west . . looking to go with Vredesteins from Tirerack, my local mechanic will mount and balance . .
    Again, I appreciate all the info available here . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't say I believed it Blue, just reporting what the man thought. When I was a two wheel rider I was a believer in the dark side and ran a CT on the rear, and a Bridgestone BT45 (rear tire) on the front, so I was a double dark sider. Definitely not promoting Kenda's here.....Ran a Kenda on my bicycle as it came with the bike, not doing that anymore.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

B39567D4-1203-40DD-85E6-B7CBBEF15723.jpg4EBA74E8-853A-4BAA-957A-8EFECE823E9F.jpg

As you can see from the load rating of the tires the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires have about twice the load carrying capacity of the Kenda tires. That speaks volumes!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    B39567D4-1203-40DD-85E6-B7CBBEF15723.jpg4EBA74E8-853A-4BAA-957A-8EFECE823E9F.jpg

As you can see from the load rating of the tires the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires have about twice the load carrying capacity of the Kenda tires. That speaks volumes!
    Thanks ...it's nice to know that the Vredesteins have about 25 to 30 % More flex than most auto tires that will fit …. this extra flex will make the tires more compliant and more comfortable to use as long as the PSI is in the 16 to 18 range …..Folks need to understand that tire flex has almost as much to do with comfort as do Shock Spring rates …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Just mounted/balanced 2 Contiprocontact 175/55-15's and a General Altimax RT 43 215/60R-15 ordered from Discount Tire. No questions asked and no VA state sales tax. Had a local independent tire guy do the work. He balanced the fronts, but couldn't do the rear. Did that myself and added some Dyna Beads for good measure.

Spyder Garage

Mike...and others...
    After reading this and a recent earlier post, would it make sense to create a "sticky" (similar to Do's and Don'ts) that lists "available" front and rear rubber, based on Model/Year? Not necessarily "recommended", just Brands/Sizes?
    I've personally been writing down specific options on a post-it inside my OM for when the day comes.
    Just asking...apologies if previously asked/answered.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hentch View Post
    Once you get a non-stock tire can you bring it to a dealer to have it mounted? I imagine most wont so where do you go to get the tire mounted and balanced.

Also how about riding mileage are the equivalent to a car tire with mileage and is the ride pretty good?
    Hi, looks like you’re in Arizona do you should have a motorcycle tire store, that would be the first place I’d look for. If not, call other motorcycle dealers and see if their service department would mount and balance a tire for you. You could come to Las Vegas and we’d do the whole tire change for you.

Car tires on the rear will typically get you at least 20,000 miles and fronts 40,000 miles.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    For the General Altimax 215/60R15 I've gotten them at Walmart for first one and Amazon for second, both free shipping.
    I have gotten the General Altimax thru TireRack.com on-line. I didn't get any phone calls from Tire Rack. I am on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 for the rear tire on my spyder.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have also bought 2 front tires from TireRack.com 3 years ago. I did not call Tire Rack I ordered on -line. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

here in Europe you send the deatils of your vehicle to the Tire-producers and get a "paper" that allowes you to use the tires .. I got it also from Toyo for my rear wheel of the Ryker (the same for my Spyders..) - I will ask them the next time, if I´m allowed to use them also on roads of America ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    I got my tires from tire rack, ordered the front two and a month later order the rear. On the site I put the size I wanted and then selected the option of not entering vehicle information.
    Same options available at TiresEasy.com. I've purchased three tires that way from them; all online, no questions asked about type of vehicle if you click the right menu items.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    here in Europe you send the deatils of your vehicle to the Tire-producers and get a "paper" that allowes you to use the tires .. I got it also from Toyo for my rear wheel of the Ryker (the same for my Spyders..) - I will ask them the next time, if I´m allowed to use them also on roads of America ??
    So in Europe you can Legally use Auto tires on Motorcycles ?????? …………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post

-I just got 2 Vredsteins for the front of my 17 RTL.They dont ask any kind of questions,its a website and you click on tire,quanity and checkout.I dont recall ever seeing any website asking you what your usage was going to be,unless you didn't know what size or brand you needed.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE