Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Limited Questions

Greetings all , I just purchased a 2014 Spyder RT Limited and wanted to add a couple of accessories .

I want a GPS and I want to be able to listen to Pandora via my Iphone (Bluetooth) but through the Spyders speakers .

Looks like I need a Garmin Zumo 590GPS part # 219400512
    A GPS mount kit for stock handlebars part # 219400615
    A Bluetooth Dongle part # 219400458
    And I guess a Ram cell phone mount

Anything else needed to accomplish my goal ?

Thanks in advance, Pete

Spyder Garage

The '14 Ltd came with a Garmin 660, where'd it go? You will like the 590/595 though; it's a newer model.

Get yourself a Kradellock for the GPS and relieve yourself of the hassle of removing the GPS every time you leave the bike -- that is unless you like to live dangerously. https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop?...kradellock-659

You can get the Sena SM10 and harness from Motorcycle Dave at substantially lower cost
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Very interesting. Just made the agreement to purchase yesterday so I have not gotten the bike home nor have I seen it in person.

Just texted the current owner, he says the gps mount is there , hopefully he can locate the head unit.

Thanks for the info .

Spyder Garage

Nothing I can add except and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I went through trying to figure out a lot of this when I got my first Spyder, and ended up using helmet bluetooth speakers and my iPhone for GPS and audio.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

To make sure we are on the same sheet of music, the GPS mount is the part that bolts to the handlebars. The GPS cradle is the part the GPS snaps into and has an integral wire harness that connects to the Spyders wiring harness. The GPS cradle is bolted to the GPS mount. FWIW, the cradles for the Zumo 660 and 590/595 are different and not compatible.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    To make sure we are on the same sheet of music, the GPS mount is the part that bolts to the handlebars. The GPS cradle is the part the GPS snaps into and has an integral wire harness that connects to the Spyders wiring harness. The GPS cradle is bolted to the GPS mount. FWIW, the cradles for the Zumo 660 and 590/595 are different and not compatible.
    Yeah , I get it. Appears that the current owner has "misplaced" the Zumo head unit that snaps into the aforementioned mount and cradle.

It also appears that there are still some 660's available out there on ebay and such. Hopefully he will find it or else we will have to make some adjustments.

If I replaced it with a 590 the mount and cradle would need to be replaced ? What about the harness , would the one from the 660 work ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
    ...If I replaced it with a 590 the mount and cradle would need to be replaced ? What about the harness , would the one from the 660 work ?
    If you purchase a 590/595 it will come with its own cradle. The cradles for the 660 and 590/595 are different and the 660 cradle will not work with the 590/595. The configuration of the pin connections on the two GPSs are different. FWIW, when I purchased my '14 RT-S in Sept '14 the standard Zumo was the 660 and dealership did not know what the GPS for MY 2015 was going to be. At my son's advice I opted for the Zumo 590 as the 660 had been around a long time by then. The 590 was the GPS for MY 2015. I like the 590 very much and it has been very reliable.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ok picked up my Spyder from Georgia a couple of days ago . Having been a motorcycle rider for 40 years the transition to this was simple and I love it.

The 660 Zumo GPS that came stock on the bike was not found so I am moving forward with plans to replace it with a Zumo 590 . The factory 660 mount , cradle , cover , and wiring are on the bike. So if I replace the 660 cradle with a 590 cradle will the existing harness from the 660 work or will that need to be replaced too ?

I am going to call Motorcycle Dave about the Sena SM10 on Monday.

MRH thanks for your input but I was this all to work on the Spyders audio system.

Spyder Garage

The 590 cradle will come with its own cradle and harness. Under the Tupperware somewhere the old 660 harness will unplug and the 590 harness will plug into the same connectors. I do not know exactly where because the dealership hooked up mine.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Good deal , thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah , I get it. Appears that the current owner has "misplaced" the Zumo head unit that snaps into the aforementioned mount and cradle.
    Suspicious. Would not trust this seller.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just because you misplace something doesn’t make you a bad person

Spyder Garage

The sellers only problem is that the Spyder was a toy that he didn’t pay much attention to .
    He owned it over 5 years and only put 500 miles on it. On top of that I got a great deal on what is essentially a new bike.

I have no complaints and chose to not make the missing gps an issue. I got a real value here even minus the gps.

After 33 years as a law enforcement officer I’m a pretty good judge of character and the seller was ok. If I had the garage full of vehicles and huge house that he had I might have misplaced the gps as well.

Spyder Garage

Get a 665. It will eliminate the Dongle and you can listen to XM without it. The 660 is not capable of XM with out the Dongle.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue - the PO didn't pass the GPS along when he traded in the tryke. So I have a cradle (don't know for what model GPS) and mount on the handlebars. Also there's a cable undr the side cover that seems to be part of it - it has a plug labeled "helmet" on it. Not sure what that it or what its for. The mount is coming off as I don't intend to use it, but I need to get new bolts for the handlebars first. Already removed the XM and Sena SM10H.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Alright I think I have the necessary parts coming for the GPS swap , now onto the music portion of our show !

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to electronics so I am having a problem understanding exactly what I need to buy to accomplish my goal , or if my goal can even be accomplished.

As stated earlier I want to be able to play Pandora from my iphone through the Spyders speakers , Not through a bluetooth helmet headset or earbuds .

It seems like the Sema SM-10 is not designed to do this , that's what I gathered from the youtube videos I have watched. Now I know there is a jack in the trunk to connect an Ipod but the end doesn't conform with the iphone.
    So the question is does a method exist to wire the phone into the existing stereo system ?

I only want to hear Pandora , no phone calls or anything else . I don't need or want a helmet communication system .

Any spoon feeding that can be provided on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Spyder Garage

Alright I think I have the necessary parts coming for the GPS swap , now onto the music portion of our show !

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to electronics so I am having a problem understanding exactly what I need to buy to accomplish my goal , or if my goal can even be accomplished.

As stated earlier I want to be able to play Pandora from my iphone through the Spyders speakers , Not through a bluetooth helmet headset or earbuds .

It seems like the Sema SM-10 is not designed to do this , that's what I gathered from the youtube videos I have watched. Now I know there is a jack in the trunk to connect an Ipod but the end doesn't conform with the iphone.
    So the question is does a method exist to wire the phone into the existing stereo system ?

I only want to hear Pandora , no phone calls or anything else . I don't need or want a helmet communication system .

Any spoon feeding that can be provided on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
    Get a bluetooth transmitter from eBay, Amazon, or somewhere else. You can stick the transmitter in the rear trunk and keep it charged up.

If you didn't accessory get the cable from the original owner then you will need it also. The picture shows my setup - dual port USB adapter plugged into the power adapter, BT device plugged into power and the accessory cable which makes it play thru your speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-V...YAAOSwOHpcRn2N

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Stere...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Dual-3-...LPki3rdtdySk6A

RTS bluetooth adapter.jpg
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Now that sir was some good spoon feeding ! Thank you very much.
    I do have the accessory cable .

That looks like a very simple and inexpensive way to attain my goal .

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Spyder Garage

theres a guy on ozspyderiders call merlot thats selling a zumo and cradle,not sure of the model though.hes on here too i believe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    theres a guy on ozspyderiders call merlot thats selling a zumo and cradle,not sure of the model though.hes on here too i believe
    For anyone interested, Merlot's now got a thread posted in the 'For sale by Owners' section offering his Zumo (590 LM?) for sale with all the necessary bits for mounting on an RT....

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...M-Mount-for-RT

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

thanks peter for clarifying that model number up.and the link post

Spyder Garage

That's pretty much what I ran into with the Sena on my tryke - it's for hooking the output of the stereo/xm/gps into your BT headsets, not for hooking a BT player and running it through the built in stereo. Now I just use the Cardo BT setup and don't use the speakers anyway.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Forget the BRP dongle.
    IF your main objective is Pandora through the iPhone go with this and save a bundle of $$$
    LinK BT06 Car Wireless Bluetooth V4.1 Audio Receiver Music Adapter with Hands - free Calls / 3.5mm Stereo Output
    https://www.amazon.com/MITUHAKI-Wire...y&sr=8-1-fkmr2

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Get a bluetooth transmitter from eBay, Amazon, or somewhere else. You can stick the transmitter in the rear trunk and keep it charged up.

If you didn't accessory get the cable from the original owner then you will need it also. The picture shows my setup - dual port USB adapter plugged into the power adapter, BT device plugged into power and the accessory cable which makes it play thru your speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-V...YAAOSwOHpcRn2N

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Stere...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Dual-3-...LPki3rdtdySk6A

RTS bluetooth adapter.jpg
    Well sir that worked as advertised !
    Got about $12.00 worth of electronics from eBay ,hooked it all up as per your pictures and I now have Pandora playing through my Spyders speakers .

Thank you very much !

Pete