Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default A Soldier's Spyder - Graphic Kit development by Spiralus Spyder

Okay folks,

For those who've read/posted on the thread "Tribal Art Decal - Lamonster", you'll know that I, and some other Spyderlovers, took Spiralus Design up on their free artwork on Spyder graphic kits in June. I wanted an Army-themed kit, and said that I would share the development process when Marc sent a concept picture. Well, that trigger event occurred, and here's the first volley in the effort. This first bit is just the part that will wrap the hood/trunk.
    I didn't give the Spiralus folks a lot of guidance, as I wanted to see what their creativity could produce, so I simply asked for something based on our Army's logo (see my avatar pic), motto of "Army Strong" and sent some artwork of Army stuff I'd like included in the design. Here's round 1:

The first is the design he sent. I loved the star, but wasn't crazy about using our old camouflage pattern. So I sent him the other two as an indication of what I thought would look good. My wife and son really like the black version, so that's probably the direction we'll take. More as it happens!
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

Hmmm.... The camouflage design was my first choice... The black one is my second choice so if the camo one is not an option, I'd vote for the black.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Better check for copyright infringement -----pretty sure all the Army logos are protected by a copyright.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Better check for copyright infringement -----pretty sure all the Army logos are protected by a copyright.
    Good advice; I will, but living on an Army post, I'm surrounded by proud soldiers who sport Army logos on their vehicles. This also happens to be a little larger than many, but not as large as some I've had done by folks who work for me. I'm in the business of developing Army officers, so I suspect I'll have little trouble selling this concept to our Commanding General before I go final. Thanks for looking out for me!
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

You might want to check with the local JAG office about the copyright. Your commander is going to go to them about it anyways. That way you can include the answers in your request to get it approved faster. Just a thought...

Spyder Garage

Thanks; I've submitted a request to US Army Accessions Command's Strategic Outreach Division, as they control the Army branding. In this case, I don't think my local JAG is going to be of much help, but I do have a McCann Erickson (the Army's ad agency) rep that works for me, so I'll double tap that side on Monday.

Spyder Garage

I noticed you have the mirror extensions...I just put the 3" risers on my spyder and was thinking about the extensions. How do you like them? Difficult to install?

Spyder Garage

Jo,

Don't know yet. I bought my Spyder, but because of my Army commitments, haven't actually gotten to ride it yet. I'll let you know next month.

There have been a number of posts about them, though. This thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=extensions highlights a challenge, but it looks like a positive outcome anyway.
    Last edited by Brevet05; 07-12-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Make sure and post plenty of pics when you get her done. Have you seen the Daddy Darko creation out here?

Spyder Garage

Will do! I have seen Daddydarko's, and it sparked my desire for these graphics. I absolutely think his theme is awesome, but I'm all about the Army, so unless I were to claim the US Army Air Corps as my inspiration, would have to stick to ground-based themes. Have a great day!

BTW, I did initially consider following the Tuskegee Airmen paint scheme, but without a tail, it would have been too obscure.
    Last edited by Brevet05; 07-12-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

I like the whole Army theme you have going on and as far as the copyright goes I'm sure you will be just fine... This year its 'Army Strong", got it, however this sloggen changes every year... Maybe, just Maybe you could come up with something a little bit different in that areana, but again I DO like it but the words Army Strong is just about over and there will be a new one..

Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    Will do! I have seen Daddydarko's, and it sparked my desire for these graphics. I absolutely think his theme is awesome, but I'm all about the Army, so unless I were to claim the US Army Air Corps as my inspiration, would have to stick to ground-based themes. Have a great day!

BTW, I did initially consider following the Tuskegee Airmen paint scheme, but without a tail, it would have been too obscure.

I definitely like that! Too bad you weren't able to use that some how.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    I like the whole Army theme you have going on and as far as the copyright goes I'm sure you will be just fine... This year its 'Army Strong", got it, however this sloggen changes every year... Maybe, just Maybe you could come up with something a little bit different in that areana, but again I DO like it but the words Army Strong is just about over and there will be a new one..

Joe
    Joe,

I think you're referring to the Army theme, which does change yearly. This year's theme is "Year of the NCO". The Army Strong is the marketing tagline, which only changes when it loses it's effectiveness. This started when the Army went to a volunteer force in the 1970's. The slogan was "Be All That You Can Be" Which lasted until 1999, when the Army shifted to "An Army of One", which was not nearly as long-lived. We went to "Army Strong" in 2006, and it's one I really like. We'll probably stick with it for a while, as it's proving to be effective. The theme song is amazing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I definitely like that! Too bad you weren't able to use that some how.
    Yeah, me too, but the Spyder has most of it's graphically usable surface in the front, while the Tuskegee theme is focused on the "Red Tail". Probably would need a mural of a flight of P-51s to get the point across.

Spyder Garage

What about a desert camo kit?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are both Soldiers and we like the first one.

BTW, any work produced by the government cannot be copyrighted and is on the public domain. My secondary MOS is barracks lawyer.
    Last edited by ArmyJoe; 07-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Smile Sailor here

Dont like it at all lol

Should say NAVY or USMC on it lol

not bad for army work thou
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Spyder Garage

Okay folks,

For those who've read/posted on the thread "Tribal Art Decal - Lamonster", you'll know that I, and some other Spyderlovers, took Spiralus Design up on their free artwork on Spyder graphic kits in June. I wanted an Army-themed kit, and said that I would share the development process when Marc sent a concept picture. Well, that trigger event occurred, and here's the first volley in the effort. This first bit is just the part that will wrap the hood/trunk.
    I didn't give the Spiralus folks a lot of guidance, as I wanted to see what their creativity could produce, so I simply asked for something based on our Army's logo (see my avatar pic), motto of "Army Strong" and sent some artwork of Army stuff I'd like included in the design. Here's round 1:

The first is the design he sent. I loved the star, but wasn't crazy about using our old camouflage pattern. So I sent him the other two as an indication of what I thought would look good. My wife and son really like the black version, so that's probably the direction we'll take. More as it happens!
    First I'd like to say I really like your theme, I would eventually like to make my Spyder in rememberence of WWII. All Olive drab color, with the White star and circle on the hood, and stencel lettering.
    This is the combination I think works best with your graphics, keep the center of the hood black as in the 2nd choice, and the camo on the side panels as in the 1st choice. Use the "Army Strong" logo in stencel as in your 3rd choice. You may want to decrease the size of the Star to fit inside the center portion of the hood.( JUST A THOUGHT)
    See if they'll make up some more samples before you go to print...
    My background is art, 4 years at the Philadelphia College of Art
    Last edited by Motza; 07-13-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Desert Camo

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    What about a desert camo kit?

The Army's desert camo is just flat sand, but assuming the rest stayed the same, what do you think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    My wife and I are both Soldiers and we like the first one.

BTW, any work produced by the government cannot be copyrighted and is on the public domain. My secondary MOS is barracks lawyer.
    While I don't think the Army leadership will have any difficulty with this, the Army logo is not technically a government production. It is a contracted item produced by the McCann Erickson advertising agency. Note that it is indeed a registered trademark.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motza View Post
    First I'd like to say I really like your theme, I would eventually like to make my Spyder in rememberence of WWII. All Olive drab color, with the White star and circle on the hood, and stencel lettering.
    This is the combination I think works best with your graphics, keep the center of the hood black as in the 2nd choice, and the camo (or desert pattern) on the side panels as in the 1st choice. Use the "Army Strong" logo as in your 3rd choice. You may want to decrease the size of the Star to fit inside the center portion of the hood.( JUST A THOUGHT)
    See if they'll make up some more samples before you go to print...
    My background is art, 4 years at the Philadelphia College of Art
    Thanks! Is this what you had in mind? Anyone?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I like the last one the best.

Spyder Garage

The last one is much better. Smaller star is the way to go. Either camo or black would be my choice!!

Spyder Garage

Exactly... check out making the front panel camo where the BRP badge is located ( we don't need no stink'n badges, put your rank where the badge goes), try a black and yellow pin strip border around the edges of the middle panel, surrounding the star, that will pick up the original Army logos border. That would be perfect!
    I would choose from either of those choices... Let us know.

PS (don't forget the Star on your helmet)

Good luck,
    Motza
    Last edited by Motza; 07-13-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Army decal

I have a yellow and was thinking about doing something with the Army theme because my son served for a little more then 10 years. I like the star and U.S. Army underneath, either Army Strong or Army of one would look great. I like to keep as much of the yellow showing as possible. Think about doing different class badges, he was a Staff Serggeant and I wanted to but them on the front fenders. I want to do an Army theme to the bike so anything in that arena would be cool, I think. Thank you for Serving our Country.