Spyder Garage

Default 93 octane non ethanol gas?

Hi folks wondering how 93 octane non ethanol gas would run in the 998 motor? (2013 RT Limited)

Spyder Garage

Our 2010 RT ran great with it. I always use it in our current '16 RT.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    Hi folks wondering how 93 octane non ethanol gas would run in the 998 motor? (2013 RT Limited)
    Absolutely! Straight gas has a number of advantages over ethanol fuel.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    That’s what I use 90% of the time in my ‘14 RT-S

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I still can't understand how it raises the price by up to $1.00/gal to LEAVE SOMETHING OUT. I'd love to run that stuff, but it's usually about that much more per gallon. I'll use it in my generator and lawn equipment.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

For years we ran straight 90 octane. No ethanol in the AK gasoline.

Then I switched to 87 about three years ago. Have run it ever since. Now that I am in Arkansas, we use the 87 with 10% ethanol added. I like the $1.00 plus less per gallon than we paid in AK.

I have noticed NO difference in the performance of both Spyders. We have one 998 and one 1330.

All I can say about the 93 no ethanol is to try it and see how it works for you. We are going to stick with the 87 here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    I still can't understand how it raises the price by up to $1.00/gal to LEAVE SOMETHING OUT. I'd love to run that stuff, but it's usually about that much more per gallon. I'll use it in my generator and lawn equipment.
    The answer is very simple. The US Government takes money out of your taxpayer pocket to subsidize the more expensive Ethanol fuel, making it APPEAR less expensive. So what you pay at the pump for ethanol fuel is simply the balance of the total price. Since you never see the total price, you think ethanol fuel is less expensive. This is exactly what our legislators want us to think.

It actually takes more petroleum product to make 1 gallon of ethanol fuel than it does to make 1 gallon of straight gas. They don't advertise this anymore than they do the total actual price for a gallon of ethanol fuel.

The US Government does not subsidize straight gas. So even though it is less expensive, you are paying the full price at the pump.

Paying more for a lesser product. You have to love Government! 'We are here to help!'
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Our spyders are designed to run fine on ethanol blended fuel of 10 or 15%. Read your owners manual... It's all there.

Probably the only time I put ethanol free gas in is for storage for a few months I won't be riding... But I don't do that religiously either. What I do is put in fuel stabilizer for those few months. Haven't had an issue over 11 years of owning two spyders.

Read the manual... Don't over think it.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Like a champ!

Lots of race fuel has ethanol in it

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech...hol-and-octane
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The answer is very simple. The US Government takes money out of your taxpayer pocket to subsidize the more expensive Ethanol fuel, making it APPEAR less expensive. So what you pay at the pump for ethanol fuel is simply the balance of the total price. Since you never see the total price, you think ethanol fuel is less expensive. This is exactly what our legislators want us to think.

It actually takes more petroleum product to make 1 gallon of ethanol fuel than it does to make 1 gallon of straight gas. They don't advertise this anymore than they do the total actual price for a gallon of ethanol fuel.

The US Government does not subsidize straight gas. So even though it is less expensive, you are paying the full price at the pump.

Paying more for a lesser product. You have to love Government! 'We are here to help!'
    Sorry but the petroleum industry is heavily subsidized and it takes a lot of water to produce a gallon of gas, the ethanol industry is self subsidized by the farmers. The biggest problem is people don’t realize how many gallons of ethanol an acre of corn can make, and the byproduct is added to cattle feed. The government mandated fuel economy can only be reached by making cars that have higher compression engine which need higher octane fuel, ethanol is the cheapest and safest way to get that. To get octane with petroleum you have to add things like methanols of other highly toxic fuels.
    2015 F3 SE6 , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Its hard to find non ethanol gas but I try getting it every chance i get. Here in Texas we have Buc-ee's and they have 92 octane non ethanol that is priced the same as mid grade but is labeled as regular.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sspradlin View Post
    Sorry but the petroleum industry is heavily subsidized and it takes a lot of water to produce a gallon of gas, the ethanol industry is self subsidized by the farmers. The biggest problem is people don’t realize how many gallons of ethanol an acre of corn can make, and the byproduct is added to cattle feed. The government mandated fuel economy can only be reached by making cars that have higher compression engine which need higher octane fuel, ethanol is the cheapest and safest way to get that. To get octane with petroleum you have to add things like methanols of other highly toxic fuels.
    That does not appear to be the facts.
    https://www.downsizinggovernment.org...ofuel-policies
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

When they first started to dive it down our throats in Maine it was hell on wheels, just going into winter, not knowing what it was all about, what a snowmobile season we had. Thanks to the greenies, I like to call them, they said it was a Cleaner burn so we would not kill a toad some where!!!!! Cost more to make and gives the gas company's a reason to jack the price of gas up that much more, but all the mechanics in the states were banging there heads and laughing all the way to the bank!!! Will your bike run on straight gas, hell ya very well, go for it!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I am able to get regular non alcohol, (87) here in Iowa. If go into Minnesota I can still find non alcohol at some stations and usually it is 91 0r 93 premium. I have used 10% and have not run into any issues. Since Spyder is stored 4-5 months, over winter, I try to fill with regular and add stabilizer, that can be used with ethanol. Have never had any issues.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    That does not appear to be the facts.
    https://www.downsizinggovernment.org...ofuel-policies
    There are so many mistakes in that article it would take all day to get thru them, one that jumps out is the price of corn in 2012 because. The old food or fuel adage, do you know that the farmer gets 5 cents for the corn in a box of corn flakes, if the farmer doubled his price the cereal would cost 10 cents more? The other is about the mpg, I see no difference in my mileage when I burn e10, and in Nebraska it’s 40 cents cheaper per gallon. I will agree that it’s not good if you fill your tank up and leave sit for months in wet states. I used to have water issues in my motorcycles in the 70’s, stalling and complete stopping till I got the water out of the carburetor, never had that happen with e10. To many people look at the USDA budget and think it all goes to farmers, 60 percent goes to school food and food stamps. One of the main concerns of the government is to be sure there are farmers left to produce the food we eat. Look up Mike Rowe’s YouTube video about the American farmer and how they are almost gone, that should make you very nervous.
    2015 F3 SE6 , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Just throwing this out there for conversation. About the time they started adding/mandating Ethanol in our gasoline, many of the engines were becoming Fuel Injected. I think that makes a difference. I've had issues with my small carbureted engines using Ethanol but have yet to have a problem with any of my Injected engines. Yes, my chain saw, leaf blower all run on non ethanol now after throwing a few hundred dollars at my local mechanic WHO TOLD ME IN THE BEGINNING, "Don't put that stuff in the small carbureted engines". So I guess I'm a slow learner that's willing to share his own misfortunes. Carry on.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Just throwing this out there for conversation. About the time they started adding/mandating Ethanol in our gasoline, many of the engines were becoming Fuel Injected. I think that makes a difference. I've had issues with my small carbureted engines using Ethanol but have yet to have a problem with any of my Injected engines. Yes, my chain saw, leaf blower all run on non ethanol now after throwing a few hundred dollars at my local mechanic WHO TOLD ME IN THE BEGINNING, "Don't put that stuff in the small carbureted engines". So I guess I'm a slow learner that's willing to share his own misfortunes. Carry on.
    I think you may be on to something ….. ...… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think you may be on to something ….. ...… Mike
    All I can add to that is Marine Stabil, Marine Stabil, is your friend, use it and try not to keep to much gas around for long periods of time works get for me!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl