Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use Shell 93 Because Nothing else is Good Enough for the Yellow Bumble Bee!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Awareness is a necessity, but people need to WORRY LESS and ENJOY MORE.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    1. You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT word used PRIOR to the quote: "Use premium unleaded gasoline with an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of 91, or an RON octane rating of 95," and that word is RECOMMENDED.

4. "To those who run on "Regular" gas: your engine will knock." That is an inaccurate statement as written. It should state, To those who run on "Regular" gas: your engine MAY knock.

I use regular 90% of the time, and NEVER have experienced knocking.

6. There is no EMPIRICAL data that show the use of a lower octane fuel will DAMAGE the 1303 engine! Performance "MAY" be downgraded. I might add I have used Regular in Harley's which also "recommend" 91 and again ONLY performance MAY be altered. No manufacturer to my knowledge has ever stated lower octane will "damage" an engine.

With 52 years of riding, I have never seen so many "obsessed" about such inconsequential stuff as in the Spyder Community.

Each rider must determine for themselves what is best for them and their environment; whether that be tires, tire pressure, oil type and changes, battery life, brake pads, a couple of drops of oil on the pavement, the noise of the fuel pump, the noise of the air suspension, etc. Awareness is a necessity, but people need to WORRY LESS and ENJOY MORE.

Happy New Year!

AJ
    I agree that no one should be 'Obsessed' about this subject. Everyone should use whatever octane, brand, etc., they choose. But being informed can help with that choice.

The truth is that your Spyder will never 'Knock' (which is a pre, or early ignition in the cylinder). This is because the computer on your Spyder will compensate for just about any octane deficiency. When the computer senses a knock situation it will retard the ignition timing (when the spark plug fires) as much as needed to prevent knock. Although this is not ideal and you will lose a certain amount of power and performance. It is much better than having the engine knock. This is one reason it is important to use Thermal Paste (not Anti-Seize) on your spark plug threads. Thermal paste helps keep the spark plug from overheating and creating a knock situation.

Before computers were able to compensate, pre-ignition or knock was a potentially devastating possibility. Here are some results of knock. But I want to re-emphasize that this WILL NOT HAPPEN to your Spyder regardless of what octane you use.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    When the computer senses a knock situation it will retard the ignition timing (when the spark plug fires) as much as needed to prevent knock.

Before computers were able to compensate, pre-ignition or knock was a potentially devastating possibility.
    Retarding the timing WILL NOT prevent or correct "pre-ignition"......because by definition that occurs BEFORE the spark happens.

If an unusual set of circumstances causes the fuel mixture to pre-ignite......like low octane, lean mixture, high engine temp and a sudden heavy load......then it still can be "potentially devastating" and the computer can do nothing to stop it.

NOW.....having said that......it is possible for a sophisticated engine control system that includes electrical variable valve timing to compensate for something like that, but you won't find that feature in a Spyder.......and not in most normal car engines either.

Although they seem similar, pre-ignition and "spark knock" are two entirely different things.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-01-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Retarding the timing WILL NOT prevent or correct "pre-ignition"......because by definition that occurs BEFORE the spark happens.

If an unusual set of circumstances causes the fuel mixture to pre-ignite......like low octane, lean mixture, high engine temp and a sudden heavy load......then it still can be "potentially devastating" and the computer can do nothing to stop it.

NOW.....having said that......it is possible for a sophisticated engine control system that includes electrical variable valve timing to compensate for something like that, but you won't find that feature in a Spyder.......and not in most normal car engines either.

Although they seem similar, pre-ignition and "spark knock" are two entirely different things.

Just as an FYI, this sort of engine control to prevent pre-ignition in high boost applications is exactly the patented tech that is know as Eco-Boost from Ford. Its managed by a combination of direct fuel injection timing and computer control EGR used as an ignition suppressant much like water injection once was. This is why Ford's high boost and relatively high compression Eco-Boost engines all run just fine on the recommended 87 octane fuel. All other turbo engines from other manufactures require premium fuel. Toyota and a few others have paid to licence Ford's engine control tech but I do not know of any that have brought it to market.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default What octane should you use in your bike

I have seen a lot of wrong information on what octane we should be using in our spyders and also people using higher or lower octane than what they are suppose to be using per the manufacture spec's so here is a web site to go to and find out the truth about it. https://www.meineke.com/blog/using-p...ly-save-money/. Hope this helps

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

87 or above for me works

Spyder Garage

In Germany we have petrol with the following octane numbers (AON = Average Octane Number): Type "Super" with 90 and "SuperPlus" with 93. Spyder riders refuel "Super". Before 2011 we still had "regular petrol" at 87, but this no longer exists today.

Spyder Garage

I use premium gas only. The thing I have is I get my gas from Costco which has a savings of usually 15 to 30 cents a gallon or more. Around me Bj's and Sams also hold to almost the same price as Costco. This is more of a fyi as to where to get gas if you have the possibilty to do so in your area.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts

Spyder Garage

Premium around here is 93 octane. I use premium unless I can get by Buc-ee's and get their ethanol free regular that is 92 octane. It is priced just a couple of pennies more than their mid grade.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

For those who believe BRP and other vehicle manufacturers are in cahoots with big oil, use whatever floats your boat. Until I accumulate enough scientific information that makes me smarter than the engineers who designed the Spyder engines I'll use what they recommend. And no, when on tour and I have been unable to get anything but 87 I can't tell any difference in the way the engine runs or the mileage I get, but that's an unusual, not routine situation. If I couldn't afford the recommended fuel, I wouldn't have bought the Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The information will be all over the place.

Early Spyders said to use at least 90 octane. For years, I did. Paid 30 - 40 cents per gallon higher for the higher octane.

Bottom line now, for the last THREE years I have been using 87 octane in all my vehicles. Car, Kawasaki, and two Spyders. I do not notice any lack of performance in either Spyder. I believe the computer compensates.

I may not be perfectly right...but it is working for me. And now, I am using the 10% ethanol that is common here in AR. Still no difference, IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have always used 93 octane in all my motorcycles and lawn equipment as I never wanted to have a fuel issue with them sitting over the winter
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Nothing lower than 87.... I run higher but mostly for the additives the price difference is minimal. We have designer fuels.... summer blends, spring, fall and winter along with weekend special blends.. gotta love this state....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

92 or 93 octane here. The 1330 motor is a high compression piece. THe Hemi in my Magnum calles for mid grade----- Seat of the pants says I get a little more thrust with a higher grade. Gas points at Smiths markets really help drop the price. I have the stage 1 ECU flash on the ( AND LOVE IT ). I believe the ignition timing is adjusted and having 93 octane is right.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I run 87 BUT it is non ethanol 87 which is a huge difference. Cost a little bit more but well worth it if you can find it.
    If I am on the road on a ride or trip I use 90 or higher.
    Never had a knock or a ping, and really don't care about fuel mileage, that is the last thing on my mind
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

I use a mid grade 89 when gas prices skyrocket. I also used 93 and switched to 89 and saw no big difference in performance.

Spyder Garage

I think one issue in this discussion is that some seem to feel that 'Minimum' and 'Optimal' are the same thing. Don't get hung up on the word 'Recommended' without considering the context. For example. A doctor may 'Recommend' that you not eat or drink more than 3 servings of a certain food type or beverage each week. When, in reality, not eating or drinking these things at all would be optimal.

Used to be vehicles gave optimum fuel octane recommendations for a particular application. However, things have changed now that everything is computer controlled. These days you will rarely see an 'Optimum' octane recommendation. Instead, manufacturer's give 'Minimum' octane requirements. But minimum means exactly that.

What the manufacturer is describing is the computers lower limit of ability to compensate for less than optimal octane values. If you run fuel at a lower octane than this 'Recommendation' you may exceed the ability of the computer to compensate. But the optimum octane value is almost always at least 1 grade, if not 2 grades above this minimum.

The computer compensates by retarding ignition timing. Which means the spark plug fires later than it would with the optimal fuel. So if you run less than optimal fuel, you may get less than optimal performance and fuel mileage. For many, this is not a problem. And that's OK with me too. It's just that accurate information is important so that everyone can make their own, well informed decision as what fuel to use.

Years ago I tested different octanes in a 6,000 mile trip to California and back. Running several tanks of one grade and then switching to another. I filled the tank to the same spot on the neck of the tank each time for accuracy. It took awhile to get the fuel to this point. But doing it this way meant a variation of only a few ounces between fill-ups. What I found was that I got at least 10% better fuel mileage with premium (92-93 octane) than I did with either regular or mid-grade. I really did not see enough difference between the lower 2 octanes to bother.

Ambient temperature seems to have something to do with this as well. Makes sense when you understand what octane does. The hotter the ambient temperature and the harder you are working the motor, the more octane makes a difference. This is why I said that you MAY get less than optimal performance and fuel mileage using less than optimum octane. Because in cooler or cold weather. Or being easy on the motor. The computer may not need to compensate for the lower octane.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-07-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I use 87
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I use 93 and my 3 gallon afternoon rides cost me about 75 cents extra in total but I don't need stabil because I'm riding every 20 days OR less ALL winter.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I always use Premium, but the gas blends here in Commiefornia are usually so bad (in terms of performance) there is a noticeable drop off if you use lesser grades.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I use the manufacture required minimum of 91 or better as long as its available. The once in a while that only regular is available or 90 is premium, I will use it and move on but I CAN tell a performance drop when the low octane fuel is substituted. Going back there is little difference to notice but that has to do with how the tuning works. The ECU is quick to retard timing based on knock, much slower to bring it back when fuel quality is improved.

Just FYI the required minimum fuel octane is on your bikes emissions certification label. Usually under the seat or in the frunk near the frame. Owners manuals are notoriously out of date.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's long thread discussing my results of two years of riding using both regular and premium gas. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ium-vs-Regular. Interestingly, the summer I used regular only my MPG was a bit better than the summer I used only premium! The thread was a poll with four choices and no one selected the correct answer! As far as MPG goes, octane has quite possibly the least impact of all the variables that affect MPG.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The information will be all over the place.

Early Spyders said to use at least 90 octane. For years, I did. Paid 30 - 40 cents per gallon higher for the higher octane.

Bottom line now, for the last THREE years I have been using 87 octane in all my vehicles. Car, Kawasaki, and two Spyders. I do not notice any lack of performance in either Spyder. I believe the computer compensates.

I may not be perfectly right...but it is working for me. And now, I am using the 10% ethanol that is common here in AR. Still no difference, IMO.
    Early Spyders did not say to use at least 90 octane. The recommended octane for 2008 to 2012 GS/RS is 87.

2018 F3 LIMITED