Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Highest octane available and Top Tier if available. In my bikes and car.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Early Spyders did not say to use at least 90 octane. The recommended octane for 2008 to 2012 GS/RS is 87.
    I guess I stand corrected. I still used 90 until about three years ago.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I run premium.
    I did an experiment with a Acura rsx type S that required Premium only fuel. Guess what - it pinged like crazy at idle with just 89 octane in it and luckly I didnt use 87 and I only added a few gallons so I was able to top off with premium and it was quit again. I know the spyder is not this picky But I follow the owners manual.

My f150 eco boost recomeends 87 normal and premium towing or high temps.

A lot of independent testing shows my truck gets over 20 more HP on premium vs running regular fuel...........so I run premium when towing.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I tend to go with the highest octane available without ethanol. We were in Iowa a couple weeks ago, and I needed gas, so, I filled up with their best non-ethanol grade. The bike ran like CRAP until I could get a tank of good gas back in it. Maybe I got the bottom of the barrel.....That gas was only rated 87 octane/ethanol free...that seemed a little weird to me. They also had it labeled "recreational use". When gas in WI is labeled recreational use, it's typically the best ethanol free stuff they got, and it usually works great in the Spyder. I'm guessing that the bike "learns" what kind of gas it's burning after so many miles and makes the proper adjustments. In my case that day, going from premium to crap.....it kicked the bike right in the cahoonies and it fell on its face. So, burn what you like, but I think it's best to stick to that grade and not jump back and forth between grades to save few cents now and then
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I tend to go with the highest octane available without ethanol. We were in Iowa a couple weeks ago, and I needed gas, so, I filled up with their best non-ethanol grade. The bike ran like CRAP until I could get a tank of good gas back in it. Maybe I got the bottom of the barrel.....That gas was only rated 87 octane/ethanol free...that seemed a little weird to me. They also had it labeled "recreational use". When gas in WI is labeled recreational use, it's typically the best ethanol free stuff they got, and it usually works great in the Spyder. I'm guessing that the bike "learns" what kind of gas it's burning after so many miles and makes the proper adjustments. In my case that day, going from premium to crap.....it kicked the bike right in the cahoonies and it fell on its face. So, burn what you like, but I think it's best to stick to that grade and not jump back and forth between grades to save few cents now and then
    Any gas that sits is subject to deterioration. Though ethanol free fuel will last a lot longer in storage. Sometimes fuel stations just don't sell enough to keep fresh fuel in their tank. Sometimes filters can be left too long and get contaminated. And sometimes the wrong fuel can get dumped into a tank or frankly, the fuel station or the delivery company may just be cheating. There are a number of reasons you can experience something like this beyond a simple octane change.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hentch View Post
    I use a mid grade 89 when gas prices skyrocket. I also used 93 and switched to 89 and saw no big difference in performance.
    Same here. I usually refuel when the gas gauge indicates 1/4 full. I alternate between mid grade or premium, if I can remember what I put in the last time.

Spyder Garage

Interesting, FWI I have a 2019 F3t and run premium.
    In years past I worked for a BRP dealer on Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Can Am atv's and went to several of their service schools. The later Rotax motors had a knock sensor on them to retard the timing for various reasons 1 of which was spark knock. We would test the knock sensor if we had one that showed signs of detonation by drawing a line on the clutch with a magic marker and making a pointer with a coat hanger, then tapping the side of the motor with a small hammer to see if it retarded the timing while it was running.
    So the 1330 has a knock sensor on it. One of the ways it will now the difference in fuel is when it gets pre ignition or detonation. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to run my 1330 with the risk of either condition. Thats the reason you would never hear spark knock also. Other things like air Temp, altitude, etc also contribute to detonation as well as octane.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glorybiz View Post
    I have always used 93 octane in all my motorcycles and lawn equipment as I never wanted to have a fuel issue with them sitting over the winter
    93 Octane ( if it has Ethanol in it ) will go bad just as easily as 87 ….unless you add a stabilizer ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    87 or above for me works
    Do you use 87 octane with your PV3 mapping ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm an equal opportunity octane user. When I'm on long trips with long freeway stints, I'll use 87/10% ethanol to save $$ at upper 20's mpg. Blasting around locally, I'll alternate between 87/89/93 with 10% ethanol and 91 at 100% gas. I do get a warm/fuzzier feeling with premium . Transitioning to fall weather, with rides less frequent, I use 91 oct/100% gas. I start adding fuel stabilizer around this time of year (I'm in WI). I cannot feel any difference in performance, but do get the slight mpg improvement with 100% gas. Now, is it worth the .80/ga difference in cost to feel warm/fuzzy?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I'm an equal opportunity octane user. When I'm on long trips with long freeway stints, I'll use 87/10% ethanol to save $$ at upper 20's mpg. Blasting around locally, I'll alternate between 87/89/93 with 10% ethanol and 91 at 100% gas. I do get a warm/fuzzier feeling with premium . Transitioning to fall weather, with rides less frequent, I use 91 oct/100% gas. I start adding fuel stabilizer around this time of year (I'm in WI). I cannot feel any difference in performance, but do get the slight mpg improvement with 100% gas. Now, is it worth the .80/ga difference in cost to feel warm/fuzzy?
    From what I know of the Spyder computer fuel mapping …. switching Octane's is not a good idea ….. the computer can actually learn what octane it's getting, and will makes changes to it's mapping …. It's takes a bit of time to do this …. and if you change what you are using even sometimes, the computer won't be able to give you maximum performance. If someone knows better please chime in ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbell0 View Post
    Interesting, FWI I have a 2019 F3t and run premium.
    In years past I worked for a BRP dealer on Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Can Am atv's and went to several of their service schools. The later Rotax motors had a knock sensor on them to retard the timing for various reasons 1 of which was spark knock. We would test the knock sensor if we had one that showed signs of detonation by drawing a line on the clutch with a magic marker and making a pointer with a coat hanger, then tapping the side of the motor with a small hammer to see if it retarded the timing while it was running.
    So the 1330 has a knock sensor on it. One of the ways it will now the difference in fuel is when it gets pre ignition or detonation. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to run my 1330 with the risk of either condition. Thats the reason you would never hear spark knock also. Other things like air Temp, altitude, etc also contribute to detonation as well as octane.
    You are not going to get 'Knock' or 'Pre-Ignition' with your F3. As you say, the computer will compensate by retarding ignition.

But even with the lower octane fuels, the computer does not always have to compensate. It is just more likely to happen with a lower octane fuel. Again, as you say, it has to do with a combination of things including interior cylinder and spark plug temperature (which will be higher with a lower octane fuel in a high compression engine like the Spyder has). This is one reason it is important to apply thermal paste to the spark plug threads.

Originally, BRP went with a colder spark plug to help prevent negative ignition issues due to low octane. But people tended to lug the 998 which fouled plugs. So BRP went to a hotter spark plug to remedy this, though it brings with it the down side of the computer having to compensate for low octane fuels more than they did with the colder plug. But over all a good trade-off. Because everyone will detect a fouled spark plug. But few will detect retarded ignition timing.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-27-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here in the Great White North only PetroCannabis and Esso/Mobil have a grade above 91 (94 at PC and 93 at Esso) ..... so it's 91 for me. So far so good.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

All true and good info. I was trying to keep my post short so people would read it.

Something I noticed when testing knock sensors on Ski-Doo motors with a timing light is the timing would try to return to normal after the tap with a hammer. All of this was a bigger problem on 2 stroke than 4 stroke also.

I don't know how the 1330 does all this either, but it does have a knock sensor and Rotax built it.

Spyder Garage

Default My experience with Octane

For what this may be worth ... In my 08 GS and 11 RSS ( the V-twins ) I used 87*, they ran fine, no issues. When I purchased my new 2014 RT, it had the 1330 engine and a different ( higher ) octane recommendation.... My best friend is a Master mechanic and knows more abut the internal combustion engine than one I have EVER known ( a lot of mechanics )( He also owned a Spyder )… I asked Him about the " new " Octane thing. He hadn't ridden a Spyder with the 1330, so He took mine out for His ( torture ) tests. …. long story short … He said my RT would run fine on 87*, but He did say if He were to ride it with the Max weight capacity ( rider + passenger ) and a Max weight loaded trailer ( 400lbs. ) in very Hilly terrain He would use 91*, 89* if it was non-ethyl gas …… I have done this with good results ..... good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

93 on Both. Nothing but the Best for my babies!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Hi Gom,
    Running Premium (91 octane). Regular (87 oct) contains ethanal - at least in Canada it does. Try to avoid. Ethanal tends to draw water in from atmosphere.
    Johnny
    2017 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gom View Post
    I have seen a lot of wrong information on what octane we should be using in our spyders and also people using higher or lower octane than what they are suppose to be using per the manufacture spec's so here is a web site to go to and find out the truth about it. https://www.meineke.com/blog/using-p...ly-save-money/. Hope this helps
    Simple Question Simple Answer. What does your operators manual say?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    In Germany we have petrol with the following octane numbers (AON = Average Octane Number): Type "Super" with 90 and "SuperPlus" with 93. Spyder riders refuel "Super". Before 2011 we still had "regular petrol" at 87, but this no longer exists today.
    In the USA, they use the PON or AKI octane index = (RON + MON) / 2.

87 AKI = ~ 92 RON
    89 AKI = ~ 94 RON
    91 AKI = ~ 96 RON
    95 AKI = ~ 100 RON

I use 95 RON, equivalent to 90 AKI, here in Spain. Is the recommended one by the user's manual.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Simple Question Simple Answer. What does your operators manual say?

Jack
    ….. There are many, many, many things in those BRP manuals that are absolutely false, like the size of the headlight bulbs …… Those manuals also state " If you get a code on the instrument cluster " ….IMMEDIATELY have your Spyder TOWED to the nearest Dealer for service …..How many times have you done that Jack ???? …. just sayin …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I was guided to this awhile back (from the manual). Kinda misleading, as where can you find premium unleaded at 87 octane? Bottom line is minimum octane rating of 87, with 91/+ octane being recommended. I take it that the bike will run fine with 87 octane, but will likely perform better with 91/+ octane. I can't see BRP allowing a fuel that would cause harm to your motor...

Type Premium unleaded gasoline
    87 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2 Minimum octane
    92 RON
    91 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2
    Fuel - Refer to
    FUEL REQUIREMENTS
    Recommended octane
    95 RON
    Fuel tank capacity 27 L (7.1 U.S. gal.)

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I was guided to this awhile back (from the manual). Kinda misleading, as where can you find premium unleaded at 87 octane? Bottom line is minimum octane rating of 87, with 91/+ octane being recommended. I take it that the bike will run fine with 87 octane, but will likely perform better with 91/+ octane. I can't see BRP allowing a fuel that would cause harm to your motor...

92 RON
    Fuel - Refer to
    FUEL REQUIREMENTS
    Recommended octane
    95 RON
    'Premium' gasoline is a relative term and just another way to describe the octane recommended. I've seen octanes between 91 and 93 being called 'Premium' depending on the market and brand. They are recommending whatever is designated 'Premium' in your area or for the brand fuel you are using. Then they give a minimum octane recommending that you not drop below 87. Obviously, you can fudge this a bit at high altitude where many times, 86 octane is the best you're going to get.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-30-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

The 1330 owners manual says (US) 91 octane.
    Is there a reason so many don't use what the manual says? Not trying to store the pot just asking the question.
    Maybe I'm missing something.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by put1in View Post
    The 1330 owners manual says (US) 91 octane.
    Is there a reason so many don't use what the manual says? Not trying to store the pot just asking the question.
    Maybe I'm missing something.
    Save money and no negative experience doing so.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

92 RON
    Fuel - Refer to
    FUEL REQUIREMENTS
    Recommended octane
    95 RON
    From all that I have read on this Forum ….. I would say probably ….. But imho it isn't going to be enough to notice the difference - it's gonna be that small ….. Mike