Spyder Garage

Question curve - blocked wheel

Three F3 Ryder and I had experienced the following situation: in a long drawn-out curve the outer wheel suddenly locked up (blocked) for a short moment. I assume that the VSS braked the wheel. Has anyone had similar experiences?
    Last edited by Batmobil-F3; 08-06-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Change "blocked" -> "locked up"

Spyder Garage

Mr. Batmobil-F3,

I'm not a racer and ride the RTL, so I don't understand the term blocked wheel. Please describe for a layman what is happening. I'm following a couple of threads where people have had the Spyder mysteriously lock one or more wheels for no apparent reason, so this interests me.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry about my English. "Blocked wheel" means that the wheel is braked down so much that it blocks. I think the correct English expression is "wheel lock up".

Spyder Garage

My gut feeling is that should be looked at! That just dont sound very safe! What realy was you doing to make that do that?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I was riding one day rather aggressively in the North Carolina mountains when I entered a tight right hand curve at pretty good speed. I had my line through the curve planned when, to my amazement, an oncoming car was about one third of its width across the yellow line into my lane. I had to sharply change my line making my turn much tighter. The VSS killed the throttle and braked the left front wheel to the point where the tire smoked. Fortunately the moron in the automobile realized where he was and swerved his vehicle out of my lane.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    Three F3 Ryder and I had experienced the following situation: in a long drawn-out curves the outer wheel suddenly locked up (blocked) for a short moment. I assume that the VSS braked the wheel. Has anyone had similar experiences?
    Yes this is what the VSS system will / should do …. the computer instantly assesses the " to much " G " forces ", and activates the brakes as Needed to correct the situation..... the ABS will prevent lock -up ( except for a milli-second ) …. it may feel as tho only one wheel is affected, but in a sharp turn one wheel is revolving more than the other, even if that is only very little …. hope this explains your issue …. Mike

Spyder Garage

The only thing I did was driving a long drawn-out curves at 31 mph. No action from me, do not brake, do not accelerate!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the answers. The problem is that in my opinion this was not a critical situation. So the VSS should not have intervened. The VSS intervention first provoked a dangerous situation. I have driven this curve 100 times (always with 31 mph) and the VSS never intervened. This reminds me of the similar situation of "treva": https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...38-Frightening.

And as I have already written, three other F3 riders have experienced similar situations independently of each other.

@BlueKnight911: it's the opposite of a sharp turn - it's an elongated turn (I hope that's the right English term.)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the software handles the same problem in a different manner on the newer bikes... same situation with the long drawn out curves in the older 998 bikes will cause it to throw a dps code and go into limp mode.... then I have to stop for minute or two and then can get back under way. The "resolution" ( since BRP won't fix this in the older bikes) is to pull a "Crazy Ivan" ( any Hunt for Red October fans?) Basicaly, when you are in that type of curve, vary the steering/steer left a little. It looks like you might be drunk on the curve as you will head towards the center some, but then you can bring it right back. It doesn't take much to have the software see it and that helps prevent the vss from intervening. I can consistently get mine to throw the code on known curves here... and consistently avoid the code on the same curves with that technique.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    Thanks for the answers. The problem is that in my opinion this was not a critical situation. So the VSS should not have intervened. The VSS intervention first provoked a dangerous situation. I have driven this curve 100 times (always with 31 mph) and the VSS never intervened. This reminds me of the similar situation of "treva": https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...38-Frightening.

And as I have already written, three other F3 riders have experienced similar situations independently of each other.

@BlueKnight911: it's the opposite of a sharp turn - it's an elongated turn (I hope that's the right English term.)
    I try to answer as best I can from the info provided ….. Sharp turn = short radius …..Moderate turn = Medium radius ….. wide turn = large radius ….. There are at least a dozen separate criteria as to what the VSS responds to …. I just listed 3 of them … some of the others are PSI, width of tread, type of tire compound, type of tread design ( not much effect with that tho ), is the road surface - clean, dry etc. or dirty … any chemicals present etc. …. legally I'm a court certified expert on this topic and was a class three accident investigator ( not tooting my horn, just letting you know I have credentials on the subject ) ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah..!!

We have some long sweeping banked curves to which the nanny will shut us down (guess she thinks we are going over). VSS will pop up etc. Have never had the wheel brake applied by her (usually to keep all wheels on the ground). If you had an alignment done and the sensor yawl/angle was not properly re-set this could be your problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We seem to have a handful of similar reports of strange VSS behaviour but don't worry about it - until it happens to you - coz BRP doesn't seem to either, so it must all be within the bounds of what they consider is normal.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    We seem to have a handful of similar reports of strange VSS behaviour but don't worry about it - until it happens to you - coz BRP doesn't seem to either, so it must all be within the bounds of what they consider is normal.
    I have a 2015 F3's with multiple modifications--have driven pushing the limit on multiple curves. I have NEVER had any of the "Nanny" functions kick in & I'm very happy about it. Some of the above experiences would scare me.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Surely the described situations can be called as "normal". Until you experience such a situation yourself, the trust is gone. Drive safe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have had the rear wheel lock up on a 2017 RTL a couple of times out of the blue.

Wait till the handlebars straighten out mid corner sending you into the on-coming lane - that's a sickening feeling
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

When my F3 was new, it did the same thing. I found that the large button under the passenger seat was causing this. This button tells the computer that there is a passenger and changes some settings when it gets pushed down. I found it has a small switch with a very weak spring in the center of the button. I added some foam from 3/4" pipe isolation to give it some more resistance while leaving the sensor to still operate. I just sliced of just the right amount and it looked like a foam doughnut. It has not done it since.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Those experiencing this phenomenon should report it to their federal road safety authority, or nothing good will happen.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.