Spyder Garage

Default No more dark storage compartment

I always hated coming home at night and not being able to see inside my top storage compartment so I could put everything away. Here is an easy fix that requires no wiring. The light takes 3 batteries and is only 1 inch thick so fits perfectly into the indentation on the top luggage carrier. The light swivels 180 degrees so you can aim it down at an angle when the box is up. First pic is the mount, second is a pic of the light turned on.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1106.jpgIMG_1107.jpg

Spyder Garage

nice job a easy fix.

Spyder Garage

MonPaul, thanks for the find. I find an oval light to put in but your find moved into first place.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I always hated coming home at night and not being able to see inside my top storage compartment so I could put everything away. Here is an easy fix that requires no wiring. The light takes 3 batteries and is only 1 inch thick so fits perfectly into the indentation on the top luggage carrier. The light swivels 180 degrees so you can aim it down at an angle when the box is up. First pic is the mount, second is a pic of the light turned on.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1106.jpgIMG_1107.jpg
    Thanks, MonPaul.... I have carried an LED flashlight to see inside the 'cave'.... I just ordered 'your' light!
    : )
    Gina J

Spyder Garage

Great low cost way to illuminate the trunk.

Early on in owning our 14 RTS, I the same or similar light. When that light failed, I had acquired two Can Am Frunk lights. I wired those in to the existing frunk wiring, but installed them in the trunk. Certainly more complicated. Your method does work well.

One of the companies sells a light that plugs in to the 12 volt port, if your model has that. Those are cool also.

Spyder Garage

Light arrived today, thanks for the find!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bought them, received them and will install today. Thank you!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

I had a similar battery operated light back there, but I kept forgetting to turn it off. Then I found "drawer lights" that turn on/off as it sees light or not.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's why I don't do my own work

So I went to install the light in the top case lid. Easy peasy for any normal human. For me what follows is a 10 second comedic disaster that pretty much exemplifies anything "do it yourselfer" that I do.

I locate where in the top case lid I want to put it. I have already installed the batteries. I peel off the two large sticky covers to expose the sticky surface to adhere to the lid. I press it into place. It does not stick because I obviously place it where some curvature exists and the sticky pads do not actually make contact with the lid. I do not realize this and let go. The whole light assembly immediately drops and me and my 10 thumbs try to catch it and instead bobble it and it falls to the garage floor. The entire light breaks into its 5 or so component pieces upon impact (hopefully it will still work). All the batteries, not just one or two, BUT ALL 3 roll dead center under my wife's car where I cannot reach. To add the insult to the injury naturally the battery cover with the sticky pads lands pad side down and immediately glues itself to the garage floor. The first thing I did was reach for that piece the minute the whole thing fell. Would it stick to my top case lid? No. Would it behave like an octopus with super glue within a nanosecond of hitting the garage floor? WHY ABSOLUTELY YES IT WOULD!

What else could i do but I had to pry it up with a screwdriver. I now have two sticky pads stuck to the garage floor.

This is why I don't do my own work.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 08-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    So I went to install the light in the top case lid. Easy peasy for any normal human. For me what follows is a 10 second comedic disaster that pretty much exemplifies anything "do it yourselfer" that I do.

I locate where in the top case lid I want to put it. I have already installed the batteries. I peel off the two large sticky covers to expose the sticky surface to adhere to the lid. I press it into place. It does not stick because I obviously place it where some curvature exists and the sticky pads do not actually make contact with the lid. I do not realize this and let go. The whole light assembly immediately drops and me and my 10 thumbs try to catch it and instead bobble it and it falls to the garage floor. The entire light breaks into its 5 or so component pieces upon impact (hopefully it will still work). All the batteries, not just one or two, BUT ALL 3 roll dead center under my wife's car where I cannot reach. To add the insult to the injury naturally the battery cover with the sticky pads lands pad side down and immediately glues itself to the garage floor. The first thing I did was reach for that piece the minute the whole thing fell. Would it stick to my top case lid? No. Would it behave like an octopus with super glue within a nanosecond of hitting the garage floor? WHY ABSOLUTELY YES IT WOULD!

What else could i do but I had to pry it up with a screwdriver. I now have two sticky pads stuck to the garage floor.

I noticed a curvature too, but pressed real hard and it worked OK. Maybe try some thicker double sided tape to avoid the curvature?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I noticed a curvature too, but pressed real hard and it worked OK. Maybe try some thicker double sided tape to avoid the curvature?
    Honestly, I just didn't notice soon enough. Had I pressed harder like any smart person would have done I would have been fine.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Default Here is an other suggestion for lighting

Here is an other suggestion for lighting in back trunk: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...BD91mEsdhiGXks

or you can look at MY ALBUMS for the picture. I plug the unit in to the 12 V outlet on the left side of in trunk.

I stuck it on.
    When not in use I unplug it.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

So, you're really close friends with "Murphy" also. Damn him!!
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I looked at the images on the amazon page. It seems that if you get the two part sticky velcro pads at any hardware store or a dozen other places, that would allow for any curvature and to replace the batteries. Just sayin'

Spyder Garage

I found with my Goldwing that painting the inside of my cases white made it much easier to find stuff even without a light.