Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So in theory if you have to dispose of brake fluid after opening it then you should never add brake fluid, instead if you need more you would have to flush and refill or you would be allowing for moisture by opening the cover.

DOT4 is not generally available in gas stations so if you’re in East Overshoot, WY on a Sunday when the auto parts store is closed you’re out of luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    So in theory if you have to dispose of brake fluid after opening it then you should never add brake fluid, instead if you need more you would have to flush and refill or you would be allowing for moisture by opening the cover.

DOT4 is not generally available in gas stations so if you’re in East Overshoot, WY on a Sunday when the auto parts store is closed you’re out of luck.
    Dot 3 and Dot 4 are compatible and can be used together so if Dot 3 is all that's available then buy it. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point and a bit thinner viscosity. The thinner viscosity makes it the preference for anti-lock braking systems on some vehicles, but the biggest difference is the boiling point. Most cars and trucks call for Dot 3.

The Spyder has a vent in the cap so you don't have to open the cap to introduce moisture to the fluid. Also moisture will be drawn into the fluid THROUGH the rubber brake lines. There is really no such thing as a sealed brake system on our bikes and cars and that is why changing the fluid is an important part of maintenance. The recommended time to change it every two years and some do, some go longer. The problem is that the metal parts in our braking systems such as some fittings and the pistons that push the pads against the rotors can and will rust and pit from moisture.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Guessing people are carrying brake fluid to take care of the low brake fluid warning light that comes on when it gets down a teaspoon or so.

I did not know that brake fluid has a two week shelf life once opened though.
    The brake fluid mnfg advise 12 month shelf life on an open container. So what happens if the reservoir is dirty & we open the top lid to check the actual volume of fluid :-(
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    The brake fluid mnfg advise 12 month shelf life on an open container. So what happens if the reservoir is dirty & we open the top lid to check the actual volume of fluid :-(
    Here's what the experts say.

Be mindful of the amount of time you expose the product to the environment, and change it based upon manufacture's guidelines.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting...🤔In and thanks.....

considering the amount needed to clear the brake warning...the distructiveness of brake fluid and the availability of it ...Why would you carry it with you...Joe and Ann work on spyders and should no brainer but the rest of us.. I don't cause every gas station carries dot 4 brake fluid...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Something to think about …. that opened container of Brake fluid will last longer in the container with a tight cap , than it will in your brake system ….. That cap has a tighter seal than your brake system caps ... ( there is NO VENT in the cap ) …. there is one in your OEM system …. Mike
    There is no vent in the OEM system. The cap vents into a bladder which expands with a pressure of one atmosphere as the fluid gets used by the wearing brake system. The fluid chamber itself is air tight because of this bladder/gasket.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Once upon a time I owned an automotive repair business named "Brake Express" in Santa Ana, Ca. We advertised low cost brake system flush & replaced with new fluid. On occasion we would get low end collector vehicles that were over 20 yrs old & never had the brakes system flush before. The customers drove in & braked just fine. We'd do the brake system flush & 90% of the time those old collector cars would return within 1 month with leaking wheel cylinders & occasional master cylinder by-pass problems. Just info on old plumbing. I've only had one brake fluid boiling issue. It was in my motor home coming down the backside mountain of Yosemite toward Mammoth skiing area. It was a very unpleasant feeling having the guard at the exit gate motion for me to stop as I coasted right past him pumping the brake pedal :-(
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    There is no vent in the OEM system. The cap vents into a bladder which expands with a pressure of one atmosphere as the fluid gets used by the wearing brake system. The fluid chamber itself is air tight because of this bladder/gasket.
    You are not describing a spyder. The caps are vented. Like almost all modern vehicles. I don't think a system like you described, has been used since the 1980s.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You are not describing a spyder. The caps are vented. Like almost all modern vehicles. I don't think a system like you described, has been used since the 1980s.
    The 2014 FJR is as he describes.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Actually he is right. The black rubber membrane / gasket works exactly as he described on ALL Spyders. The vent does not expose the fluid in the reservoir directly to ambient air when the cap(s) are installed correctly. Yes, the cap is vented but its vented to the top side of the membrane. The fluid is under that seal. I have actually never seen a brake system that did not have this. Car or bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Actually he is right. The black rubber membrane / gasket works exactly as he described on ALL Spyders. The vent does not expose the fluid in the reservoir directly to ambient air when the cap(s) are installed correctly. Yes, the cap is vented but its vented to the top side of the membrane. The fluid is under that seal. I have actually never seen a brake system that did not have this. Car or bike.
    So it appears I was incorrect for F3 models an RT 2016 and later. They do have a membrane diaphragm that takes up the volume as the brake fluid drops. I would have saw this next week when I do my own service for first time on my F3L. The actual first service by the dealer.

All Spyders with the twist on caps are vented to atmosphere. Sort of. There is a vent going from the edge of the cap to on top of the gasket. The diaphragm has a V slit in it to allow air to pass to allow for the drop in brake fluid volume in the reservoir. The diaphragm does flex to take up small changes in volume during normal operation. Reducing the amount of air exchange.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My '14 has 'em too. Perhaps BRP changed them when they went to the Brembos.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have been using DOT5.1 in My Honda Valkyrie's for many years. It does not have some of the problems of the other DOT's
    https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/r...1-brake-fluid/

T.P.