Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Warning warning warning

Had a lady come in today, thought her F3Limited right saddlebag hinge was broken. I took it apart and found the plastic had been ruined(turned to mush!) by brake fluid. She had a bottle that must have leaked, and it pooled by the hinge. I knew brake fluid would ruin paint, but did not know it eats plastic!!! If you have a bottle of brake fluid, at a minimum, double bag it. We carry ours in the trailer, in a ziplock bag.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I immediately found another zip lock to double bag it after reading this. Wonder how long it takes to eat through those...
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Why are you carrying brake fluid?
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    I'm with wingit3611, why are people carrying brake fluid?
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

It will destroy paint also
    2019 RT , lamonster ext brake pedal GRAY

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Especially one that's been unsealed. Life of an unsealed Brake Fluid can is only a coupla weeks.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

That's probably a good question that I need to rethink. Shortly after I got my used 15 I experienced low Brake fluid parking brake error and the Spyder rolled when I tried to park it. Adding brake fluid took care of the problem although I find reading the fluid level difficult. I didn't know if this was a chronic problem with my Spyder so I put some in a baggie in my tool bag and it's been there ever since.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Guessing people are carrying brake fluid to take care of the low brake fluid warning light that comes on when it gets down a teaspoon or so.

I did not know that brake fluid has a two week shelf life once opened though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    That's probably a good question that I need to rethink. Shortly after I got my used 15 I experienced low Brake fluid parking brake error and the Spyder rolled when I tried to park it. Adding brake fluid took care of the problem although I find reading the fluid level difficult. I didn't know if this was a chronic problem with my Spyder so I put some in a baggie in my tool bag and it's been there ever since.
    Just trying to help, have you had your brake fluid flushed since you purchased your used '15 Spyder? If you have, when it was flushed whoever did it should have topped it off rendering your master cylinder reservoirs full and eliminating the need to carry extra fluid. I find using a flashlight helps me to more accurately read the fluid level.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 08-05-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Brake fluid has a very short shelf life because it draws moisture very quickly even with the cap on once the seal is broken. You can buy it practically everywhere so why risk a leak or spill that can cause damage. When you take a ride in your ChevyFordDodgeToyota is the trunk packed with spare parts and fluids? Why not? They are machines just like our Spyders and can fail. A lot of us, especially me started riding back in the days where you did carry a spare fratastat for whatever model bike you rode because it was probably going to break. Today's bikes, like today's cars are the most reliable vehicles ever and if it does break I don't have the proper tools or knowledge to fix them under the shade tree. I carry a few spare fuses and a credit card.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Not fair!

It's a shame when something like this happens to someone who obviously had no idea what could happen, and was doing it for all the right reasons, as far as they knew.

Big bummer!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Just trying to help, have you had your brake fluid flushed since you purchased your used '15 Spyder? If you have, when it was flushed whoever did it should have topped it off rendering your master cylinder reservoirs full and eliminating the need to carry extra fluid. I find using a flashlight helps me to more accurately read the fluid level.

Bought it in May of 18, low fluid probably in June or July then brake fluid replaced along with oil in Feb., so yes. It's been fine ever since.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 08-05-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

We carry it for others, mostly. As your pads wear, it needs fluid. When the light comes on, normally as you begin descending the highest mountain of your trip, making that light go away is a beautiful thing! A tightly sealed bottle lasts for months.
    Joe Meyer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I immediately found another zip lock to double bag it after reading this. Wonder how long it takes to eat through those...
    Test it ….. I bet it's less the 5 minutes …. that stuff is as close to being ACID as any fluid in your vehicle …… my next thought is Why is She even carrying Brake fliud in Her Spyder ???? ….. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Guessing people are carrying brake fluid to take care of the low brake fluid warning light that comes on when it gets down a teaspoon or so.

I did not know that brake fluid has a two week shelf life once opened though.
    Something to think about …. that opened container of Brake fluid will last longer in the container with a tight cap , than it will in your brake system ….. That cap has a tighter seal than your brake system caps ... ( there is NO VENT in the cap ) …. there is one in your OEM system …. Mike

Spyder Garage

From NAPAS's website:

Even if you’ve only poured a little out of the bottle, you’ve introduced moisture into the equation, and the chemical process of absorbing that liquid from the air has begun.

Most manufacturers recommend that any open bottle of DOT brake fluid should be used within 12 months, or else discarded.

Keep in mind that a full year is the very outside limit of what would be acceptable.

A three-month period is more likely to offer a better limit of safety in terms of keeping the boiling point near its original level.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some fact and some fiction. Double bottle your fluid if you're on a long tip and secure it in the up right position. Like it's been mentioned, you likely don't need much more than a tea spoon full to turn off the dash warning light. Also, a small bottle of fresh fluid can be had for almost pennies (less than a round of drinks anyway) at any auto parts store. If you are afraid to carry it home or believe it will go bad before you get home, toss it and forget it. Peace of mind is worth a dozen bottles of fluid when you are on a well deserved and well earned vacation.

Spyder Garage

I had no idea it would dissolve plastic. I used to use opened bottles of DOT3 to remove paint from plastic train models in order to change them. I don't remember any problems, but that was DOT3 .I want to thank Joe and Ann who kindly gave me a little DOT 4 at D3WR.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You and several others, Paul! I will write a date on the next bottle, and pitch it at 3 months. Our climate is so dry, introducing moisture is the last thing to think about!
    Joe Meyer

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This has definitely taught me something. I just cleaned out my detatched garage this past saturday. In doing so, I came across about 4 bottles of opened brake fluid, and 2 new bottles. Guess I will be disposing of the opened ones.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The maintenance manuals for both the Audi and VW say to change the brake fluid every (2) years. This is because of water absorption. I think I will do the same with the Spyder.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    The maintenance manuals for both the Audi and VW say to change the brake fluid every (2) years. This is because of water absorption. I think I will do the same with the Spyder.

Regards,

Don
    The Spyder manual also has the same recommendation with the same time frame.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OMG! Here it is not even 11am, and I learned something!
    STOP IT!!!

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Joe's comment about the Vegas humidity is the most important thing to consider about the shelf life of a container of opened brake fluid. What is most important is the volume of air in the opened container. The more air in the container, i.e., the more fluid used from the container the more room there is in the container for air/moisture, egro, more moisture to contaminate the remaining brake fluid.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am sure I need to dump mine now too given it’s a year old. What a waste, it’s still 99% full. Plus the toxicity means I’ve got to find a disposal site.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light