Spyder Garage

Default Questions, advice on RT purchase

Apologies up front for the long winded post however I am hoping I am close to a decision. I can then start asking questions on the forum about what I own rather than what I might own and hopefully provide some advice to others when I can.
    I have been admiring Spyders for some time now and getting closer to the magic that is owning one.
    Initially (years ago) I thought the RT was the one to go for, comfortable, semi auto (didn't even consider a manual), cruise control, tons of storage etc. however the new price was scary.
    Along came the Ryker at a much lower price and in a config that was far simpler electronically and tupperware wise.
    While waiting for the Ryker release I found myself at a Spyder dealer and the F3 S Daytona special edition really took my eye. Still too expensive though.
    Finally the Rykers arrive and I take one for a test ryde which I have spoken about previosuly on this forum, rode a F3L on the same day, like going from a sports car to a limo. No RT available to test ride however I thought then I would be happy with either a Ryker Rally or F3.
    As I get closer to retirement available funds are less than they were so I started looking at RSS's (keen to have cruise control) as they were starting to slot into my price range.
    More are becoming available and I recall riding a 2010 RS after the Ryker & F3L and thought this is nice although a different riding position.
    Most of my previous bikes were sports-tourers or trail bikes so the seating position was pretty upright.
    A 2013 RT SM5 manual with 2,500 miles just came up at a local non can-am dealer so I thought what the heck I should take it for a run especially as everyone on here repeatedly says try them all (great advice by the way). I expected it to feel large and cumbersome. Couldn't get much of a story out of the sales guy (not unusual) except that it was traded on a Harley.
    The bike felt really good and I liked the manual transmission, apart from the embarassing moment I pulled up at the traffic lights and stalled it.
    Gearbox and clutch action felt smooth, could definitely do with a BajaRon sway bar. Before turning it off when I got back to the dealership I checked for codes and simply got a blank screen. Brakes felt really good. Slight vibration at certain speeds (maybe the belt?) but nothing that concerned me, alignment felt ok, had my daughter on the back and she loved it, the nanny really kicks in when you have a passenger on board especially in corners (not that I was pushing it).
    I let it idle for some time back at the dealership and could feel the very hot air pumping out at right angles to the machine however when riding I didn't notice any heat on my feet/legs even though I intentionally wore sneekers rather than boots for the test ride. Does this mean it has the air redirection enhancements I have read about or is it only an issue if you have highway pegs? If not how can I tell when a machine has had the air flow improvements?
    As mentioned I checked for codes mode,set and push in the indicator cancel and just got a blank screen, I gather as it was blank there were no codes.
    Does the nanny really curb the performance that much when you have a passenger? Initially I thought it might have been a fuelling issue as a RSS I rode basically cut out when going quickly through corners however this time it was too consistent and didn't cut out it just reduced power/throttle response. Does it reduce throttle response in a straight line too?
    It is a stock standard RT and apart from a couple of spider stick ons and a damaged aftermarket frunk seal has no other farkles that I noticed. Are there many differences between the standard (poverty pack) RT and the S/Ltd? I know about the lack of passenger heated grips, GPS and switch to adjust the rear airbag. Does it have a rear airbag, kind of hard to tell with all the tupperware?
    Out here I believe checking the vin with BRP only gives you info about what recalls have been done.
    Given its age it is out of warranty so what should I be looking for?
    I hope to be riding a couple of 2014/2015 RSSs this week, 1 with 11,000 miles and some nice additions such as exhaust, back rest and arm rests and the other almost unbelieveably with 800 miles.
    Thanks and appreciate your feedback.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You heed to know if the recalls were completed, 13 was not a great year for Spyder RT, I would avoid it mostly because you don’t know it’s history. All of my Spyders have been manual transmission and they have been fairly trouble free, except for my 13 which went up in flames.

All RT have the air bag but only the RTS or RT Ltd have the onboard compressor, the base model and A & C model have a schrader valve under the seat that you use to fill the bag
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks SpyderAnn.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

It would help us here to make some kind of opinion if you could tell us what plans you have for the Spyder. Something to just ride around town or doing multi day trips.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

If Ann says to avoid the '13 RT the real answer is run, run, run as fast as you can.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We have a 2015 base model RT we use for our touring mount. I bought it new in January of 2017 and got a great deal since it had been sitting in the showroom forever. Dealer said folks wanted the fancier models and colors so this base model in black never sold. 25,000 miles later and wife and I love it. I have no problem with using the valve under the seat to adjust the shock and after reading about some of the compressor issues I don't miss that mess. I come from sport and sport touring bikes so I never have cared for floorboards. The pegs work great for me. Long story short. We are happy with the 2015 RT base model as our touring platform. You are doing the right thing by riding as many as you can because the end decision will be yours alone.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Ditto for the 2015 base models. Put some LEDS front and rear and pretty much ride it, We're at closed to 40,000 with just over three years of ownership. No problems have arisen in the forty odd months of riding throughout the Southwest. Wash it and ride it. and I like a manual gearbox until I can't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    It would help us here to make some kind of opinion if you could tell us what plans you have for the Spyder. Something to just ride around town or doing multi day trips.

Willie
    Probably not too much in the way of multi day trips. More weekend rides, around town and heading to my kids around 150 miles.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If Ann says to avoid the '13 RT the real answer is run, run, run as fast as you can.
    Thanks Ann did put the wind up me!

With the low miles it hasn't had time to have things go wrong and no warranty to cover it now.

I sometimes think it could be better to get something that is run in, tried and tested. RSS with 11k might be looking better. Might miss the storage though. I do like to do runs to the shops to pickup the grandkids' goodies.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks Navydad, azprince. It does have all I would need and simpler to boot.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

S0 let me just say I've only rode 27,000 miles or so on my '13 RT Limited (in the last two years) and still love it like the day I bought it used. Mine had the Heat mitigation recall done and I've done mostly normal maintenance though have added a few Farkles and still really love it.
    Sorry to the detractors above but I'm betting there's more happy '13 riders out their now (that they've been fixed) than in the first few years of use.
    The initial clue that the Heat recall was done is the Air (inlet) scoops under the mirrors instead of the clear plastic air deflectors.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    S0 let me just say I've only rode 27,000 miles or so on my '13 RT Limited (in the last two years) and still love it like the day I bought it used. Mine had the Heat mitigation recall done and I've done mostly normal maintenance though have added a few Farkles and still really love it.
    Sorry to the detractors above but I'm betting there's more happy '13 riders out their now (that they've been fixed) than in the first few years of use.
    The initial clue that the Heat recall was done is the Air (inlet) scoops under the mirrors instead of the clear plastic air deflectors.
    Thanks will keep all that in mind including the heat recall and how to detect if it has been done. I did think I should be looking at 2013 and later (for the RSS) as I like the idea of the altered suspension geometry and brembo brakes. 2014 and up has the 1330 of course in the RT and the price jumps significantly. First addition I think would be a BajaRon sway bay, spring pre tensioners and somewhere to store the coffee cup.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Link to my Garage for my '13
    I did exactly those upgrades and more with the money I saved buying a used '13 over a '14 or later.
    By the way, we just visited your fair country, Friends from Mount Gambier showed us around for a few weeks. Adelaide to Melbourne to Sydney and the Blue Mountains before heading home.
    Looking forward to doing that on Spyders in the future.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I liked the photos in your garage. Thanks for sharing.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Link to my Garage for my '13
    I did exactly those upgrades and more with the money I saved buying a used '13 over a '14 or later.
    By the way, we just visited your fair country, Friends from Mount Gambier showed us around for a few weeks. Adelaide to Melbourne to Sydney and the Blue Mountains before heading home.
    Looking forward to doing that on Spyders in the future.
    Nice enhancements David. Glad you enjoyed your visit.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT (Bought new in early '14) has been flawless after 28,000 miles. Sure in the early days it got hot on the right foot riding above 85 degrees but once the heat recall was done, it has been nothing but a pleasure to ride. Have taken it on multiple long distance rides (including my longest thus far, KC to Houma LA, to Pensacola FL and back - round trip of 3,000 miles, 2 up, towing a trailer and it purred like a kitten all the way). It makes me laugh when I see the the anti-2013 naysayers out there who ride their '14 onward 1330s advise against a 2013 model because of the heat issue (which by the way was the only issue with the model - but fixed by BRP) and there are quite a few that are getting the air scoop mods done on their rides as well. All you have to do is scan the forum here to read how many 1330 riders complain about the heat they are getting from their rides too. The only benefit one gains from getting the 1330 Vs the 998 is an extra approx 50 miles to a tank of gas.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Thanks 2RTsGV all good info and great to see more positive reviews.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac