Spyder Garage

Default Gas or oil smell after 200 mile ride on Saturday

My wife, owner and rider, and I took a 200 mile ride on Saturday. The weather and temperatures where low 60’s to mid 70’s before breakfast around 9:30 AM. After breakfast it was 85 to 90. We had 50 or so miles to home.

When we stopped for breakfast the bike was not giving off any strong odors, no drips and nothing out of normal operation.

When Dawn backed into garage and shut it off the smell of gasoline (or oil not sure which) was very strong.

Been in the garage for over 24 hours nothing on floor under bike. Checked oil and it was good. Dawn did not spill or overfill gasoline.

New to The Spyder learning how to do some of maintenance and modifications. Do not have any idea where to begin since no visible leaks or signs of engine burning oil.

2012 Spyder RT

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by AggieR; 08-04-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Left out year
    2012 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

What year is your Spyder. Need a bit more info.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Our 2011 RT would smell up the garage after a hot ride... like Safecracker says helps to know the year and model but other know much more details. The 1330 models have been much less odorous...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

The year 2012 RT.

I thought I had added that info to profile.
    2012 RT , Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AggieR View Post
    My wife, owner and rider, and I took a 200 mile ride on Saturday. The weather and temperatures where low 60’s to mid 70’s before breakfast around 9:30 AM. After breakfast it was 85 to 90. We had 50 or so miles to home.

When we stopped for breakfast the bike was not giving off any strong odors, no drips and nothing out of normal operation.

When Dawn backed into garage and shut it off the smell of gasoline (or oil not sure which) was very strong.

Been in the garage for over 24 hours nothing on floor under bike. Checked oil and it was good. Dawn did not spill or overfill gasoline.

New to The Spyder learning how to do some of maintenance and modifications. Do not have any idea where to begin since no visible leaks or signs of engine burning oil.

2012 Spyder RT

Thanks for reading.
    The V-twin can have the re-curing gas smell if the EVAP cannister has been contaminated by Gas …. if you can stop the possibility of any more gas getting in there, it will eventually evaporate ( may take a month ) ….. go to my Albums and look at the pics for " gas smell fix " it will show you how I re-routed the gas lines to cure this ….. good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Aggie. So you have a pre-owned 2012 RT. Congrats, that was the best of the V-Twin RTs. However, they all had a few glitches in common - in your case they all suffered from high underbody temperatures. As you learn how your machine is constructed, you'll see how the exhaust headers and catalytic converter run in close proximity to the gas tank. This resulted in excessive evaporation of fuel and it would pretty much render the charcoal canister useless after a period of time. People forget how we could sometimes hear boiling from inside the gas tank. And then, after a design change of the RT in 2013, underbody temperatures got so bad that it resulted in a safety recall of the 2013's.

So, what's that mean to you? When you come back from a long ride next time and you smell the gas in the garage, do a quick look under the Spyder from the right hand side, and look for the stubby end of a rubber hose. That's the vent from the canister. In all probability you'll see a drop or two of liquid hanging from it and maybe a couple drops on the floor. You don't have a leak. That is not raw fuel and it has nothing to do with over-filling your gas tank at the pumps. It's nothing but fuel vapors that are now condensing as they reach the cool air of your garage, and a sign that your canister is saturated and useless. No amount of riding will dry it out because it will be receiving more vapors every time you ride.

As most of us have done, we've just removed and defeated that entire canister / purge valve system. So, do a forum search or a Google search of the forum and search for canisterectomy, and look for info as it applies to the RT. Doing this won't completely eliminate the smell on very hot days - fuel will still evaporate of course - but it will eliminate that glob of saturated charcoal stinking up your garage.

In addition, look at your Spyder underneath the mirrors. Do you have components on the body work that look like an air deflector, or do they look like an air scoop that can direct air under the body. If you only have air deflectors, than search the forum again for RT Vent Kit. This thing here:

https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder.../dp/B079S6B78J

That solution came out of the 2013 recall and can be fitted to all RTs. Air is redirected under the bodywork and keeps temperatures at very reasonable levels. If you have the scoops already, you do want to check that the inner panel underneath the painted panel - called the acoustic panel - is removed as required. If not permanently removed it blocks the airflow from getting under the panels and doing any good.

These two things will not completely eliminate any fuel smell if the interior of the machine is heat soaked after a long day, but the situation will be greatly improved.

Back in 2012, there was also a gas cap recall. Since your machine was new and under warranty and probably being serviced at the dealer, there's a good probability that that was performed.

So, it's all a learning curve and finding out what accesories are out there. If she doesn't like the heat on her right foot, there are solutions for that, too. Just search the forum and visit the site vendors. Good luck. Be safe. Watch out for deer.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The 2008 - 2012 Spyders had an ill conceived crankcase vent system which allowed oil into the air box. Severe cases would allow enough oil into the air box that it would pool at the corner where a weep hole is located. The oil would drip through the weep hole onto hot engine parts and smell pretty bad. The small amount of oil would never reach the floor or make any significant difference in oil level. There is a cheap and easy fix for this.

If it is burning oil you are smelling, I would suspect the above. But I think it more likely that you've got evap canister issues. Very common and, in my opinion, a real fire hazard. If this is your problem I would definitely recommend a Canister-ectomy, as has already been suggested. Cheap, easy and a permanent fix.

You can get a gasoline smell even if everything is OK. But it is usually very mild. A moderate to strong gasoline smell needs to be investigated.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

FEEFEEDB-6831-43CF-B5B3-260742F3733C.jpg

Tried to upload two pictures. Right under the mirrors there are vents. Are these part of the vent kit you referred to in post above.

I guess it worked
    Last edited by AggieR; 08-05-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Changed what I said
    2012 RT , Silver

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AggieR View Post
    FEEFEEDB-6831-43CF-B5B3-260742F3733C.jpg

Tried to upload two pictures. Right under the mirrors there are vents. Are these part of the vent kit you referred to in post above.

I guess it worked
    No. that is the original vent. Snowbelt was talking about the upgraded vent kit that some people upgraded too; Try looking at this old thread to see what the vent kit looks like on the Spyder https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ighlight=scoop
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-06-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. I just re-read Snowbelt’s post. Now it makes sense not that the writing was bad I just did not understand.

I really appreciate all the help.
    2012 RT , Silver